LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 7:06 pm 

Hello All,

I've lurked for a long time now, and started my build a little while ago. Just now getting to post it. Probably should have done it sooner, but you know how it is.

Standard frame, I have a CBR 900RR motor that came from a locost (he wanted more power) running waiting to be settled into mine. Mainly miata pieces parts other than the motor. I have a rear subframe, spindles, brakes, etc.

I'm getting to the point where I need to figure out my suspension. It's been a constant source of worry since I started. I've been scouring the forums trying to find a book frame using the miata spindles with details on the geometry so I can figure out the suspension mess. It's not a strong point for me (first car I've built and all).

I'm currently straightening out my pictures, more to post to later.

Me bringing some parts home in my "truck" from Tony's house.

More parts.

Right before I found out just how hard it is to carry a miata rear subframe into your basement by yourself. My back was not pleased.

Last edited by accordionfolder on November 4, 2012, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 8:04 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Accordionfolder-
Cool name, what do it mean? Anyway, welcome to the forum! There seems to be some problem with your image uploads, at least at my house... Don't worry about the suspension, it's just triangles... Geometry, sine, cosine, stuff like that. OK, maybe you should worry, a little... :mrgreen:

I'm lookin' forward to seeing your build progress! Good luck!
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 9:51 pm 

andy
try taking out a photobucket account and post images from there. it dosen't cost anything and you have a photolog you can share with other people, like this:
http://s91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/ ... -Nov%2011/
also when you hover the cursur over the picture it will give you a list of options, the last one is a image code that you can paste in you locostusa post. The image will also show up in your preview of your post.

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 10:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

hpbugeye wrote:
andy
try taking out a photobucket account and post images from there. it dosen't cost anything and you have a photolog you can share with other people,

PLEASE DON'T! Just load them from your computer straight onto the forum.

When you put them on photobucket you have just increased the load time by a HUGE amount AND if you should forget and delete, then we've got a thread with pictures missing.

This forum allows you to load the pics onto it just to eliminate such problems.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 10:57 pm 

Bah, they show for me since I'm logged into my google account. I've hosted them on google+, lemme see if I can get them fixed.

And yes! I'm a software engineer so I'm not afraid of math, but suspension geometry has always been some confusing black box, I bought a book on it, it didn't help. I suppose I'll buy another book :)

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 11:14 pm 
Toyotaphobe

accordionfolder wrote:
Bah, they show for me since I'm logged into my google account. I've hosted them on google+, lemme see if I can get them fixed.

Don't HOST, load them into this forum. You've got to load them one way or another and putting them here makes sure they'll stay here for future viewers and won't put the forum in HOSTER blackmail with load times.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 11:33 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
Don't HOST, load them into this forum.

You're assuming I'm only using the images for a build thread on this website.

My Lovely basement abode!

My welder! I decided to go with one much more powerful than my initial needs. It's never even broken a sweat :)

The CBR-900RR

The frame as it sits now.

My ventilator which allows me to tack in the basement and not die! I'm going to fully weld the frame outside.

I'm taking a timelapse via my GoPro, so that should be interesting when it's all said and done. I need to get my act together and get the rear subframe built along with the transmission tunnel. That's next on the menu. Hopefully we'll have some constant progress starting again tomorrow! Let me know if the images still don't show.

PostPosted: November 4, 2012, 11:41 pm 
We are Slotus!

Images are... wait for it.... Picture perfect! :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 5, 2012, 12:05 am 
Toyotaphobe

accordionfolder wrote:
You're assuming I'm only using the images for a build thread on this website.

No I wasn't. I was presuming that since you were working so hard to get them to display that you'd want them to be kept with the thread and didn't want to inconvenience the rest of us for all time to come. Not everyone has high speed internet.

The most I can get is DSL and there's more than one on here that has something even slower.

You can host them to more than one place.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 5, 2012, 12:20 am 

@hpbugeye - Hey hey Tony! I just found your build thread. It's looking good, I'm assuming you made it safely out of wiring hell? :)

@Gonzo - An accordionfolder is one of those goofy looking folders that expands out and has individual file slots. They got me through highschool, and I've always used them as my username. Hopefully I'll have some progress to show!

PostPosted: November 5, 2012, 4:59 am 

I wish I had a basement like yours! Looks good :)

PostPosted: November 21, 2012, 4:58 pm 

Thanks for all the comments. Got a lot of work done this past Sunday. Mainly cutting/fitting/tacking. I'm don't have access to a band saw so it's slow going. I did have a second to size up the motor in the bay!

A couple of "concerns," it looks like I'll have to raise the engine up a bit to make the drive shaft line up. I read somewhere that the Miata rear end is not suitable for BEC? Does anyone have better info on that front?

PostPosted: November 21, 2012, 5:18 pm 

I love your engine holder!
I too built my car in the basement and that is why I have a bolt on roll bar so that I can get it through the door and up the stairs into the garage. I wish I had a video of that joke and laugh-fest! I hope it never has to go back down the stairs but it is at least possible with enough disassembly. Your build table even looks like mine.

PostPosted: November 21, 2012, 5:41 pm 
Toyotaphobe

The problem with the rear end and a motorcycle engine is the ratio. You usually need a much lower (number) ratio than comes stock with the Miata.

IIRC most people want a 3.07 - 3.23 ratio and the Miata comes with a 3.90 to a 4.10, I believe.

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: November 25, 2012, 3:34 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
The problem with the rear end and a motorcycle engine is the ratio. You usually need a much lower (number) ratio than comes stock with the Miata.

IIRC most people want a 3.07 - 3.23 ratio and the Miata comes with a 3.90 to a 4.10, I believe.

Hmm, I'm setting this up for autoX specifically (get it working/tune it/race it/register it). Is the lower rear end gearing more for drivability on the road? I need to do some calculations for the gearing/rear end/tire combination to see what it'll all mean together....

JPS Europa wrote:
I love your engine holder!
I too built my car in the basement and that is why I have a bolt on roll bar so that I can get it through the door and up the stairs into the garage. I wish I had a video of that joke and laugh-fest! I hope it never has to go back down the stairs but it is at least possible with enough disassembly. Your build table even looks like mine.

I can't tell you how many times I've had to explain to friends/family/coworkers that: IT WILL FIT OUT THE DOOR. :D

Thanks for the input!