LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 3:08 am 

I see there’s no mention of MEV’s latest creation the ‘MEVster’ on the Forum!

I realise it’s not been formally launched and its formal unveiling will I believe take place early next year at the ‘Stoneleigh’ kit car show here in the UK. But I thought I’d share these early images with you and make those of you who might be interested, there’s a detailed ‘Blog’ that’s been started by Stuart Mills on the Build of the MEVster Demo Car over on the MEV Owners Forum:- http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/inde ... hread=3274

Should be quite useful for those considering building one next year. What do people think of it ?

Nigel

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 11:52 am 
Toyotaphobe

Well, you asked! Ugly as sin.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 12:49 pm 

Ha! I wasn't going to go that far, but it isn't a terribly handsome vehicle. On the plus side, it's great to have people out there willing to take chances like this, and I applaud them for that. It's nice to have an increasingly wide variety of choices, because everybody's taste in cars is different.

Is that a full-size Miata windscreen?

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 1:46 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Ha! I wasn't going to go that far, but it isn't a terribly handsome vehicle. On the plus side, it's great to have people out there willing to take chances like this, and I applaud them for that. It's nice to have an increasingly wide variety of choices, because everybody's taste in cars is different.

+1
:cheers:

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 2:43 pm 

Oh I don't know, tone down the graphics and some less garish (IMHO) wheels and I think it's nice. (Photoshop anyone? - some 949Racing 6UL wheels and a simple silver or BRG on the whole body and fenders might be nice) I love the actual curved wind screen! :cheers:

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 3:21 pm 

Front end? Not to bad.

Rear end? Ugly as sin!

Overall, It looks like one of those cars they rent in the carribbean to the tourists.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 3:44 pm 

Many thanks for the constructive comments, accepting personal taste and all. I have to agree the choice of colour dose it no favours, but I’m lead to believe it represents an evolution based on UK customer feedback following the introduction of the MEV Exocet.

I.e. The desire for a more practical all weather kit car: - What about a full screen? How about some storage/trunk space? Rain/shower protection? Give it a more modern streamlined look than the Exocet etc.

Something that may also be of interest to some is this early video of its design “How to build a Sports Car” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZOhldyLgu8

Nigel

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 3:50 pm 

I'm gonna venture to say that yes, that's a full size Miata windshield... the MEV kits literally drop onto the Miata subframes with little to no mods. Kinda looks like it should be a middy...

PostPosted: November 10, 2012, 4:58 pm 

sonic7 wrote:
I see there’s no mention of MEV’s latest creation the ‘MEVster’ on the Forum!
I doubt it was an intentional snub. I think you, Nigel, are our go-to guy on MEV's new products.

I find the MEVster's sevenesque space frame chassis more appealing than the Exocet's atomesque curved tube chassis, but the compromises to keep it cheap and easy (specifically, to keep the Miata front subframe, suspension, radiator and engine position) make the nose higher/wider/longer than I like, personally.
sonic7 wrote:
I’m lead to believe it represents an evolution based on UK customer feedback following the introduction of the MEV Exocet.
Doubtless. But the unmodified Miata underpinnings limit its virtues (you can't move the engine back, or down, so you can't much lower the CG or add rear weight bias or reduce the polar moment of inertia or reduce the body's frontal area), and for a car-you-can-drop-on-stock-Miata-underpinnings, I'd rather have a Miata. I'm sure it's lighter than a Miata (a virtue shared by the Exocet) but not Locost lighter, more like a stripped down Miata.

It looks like it's primarily a styling exercise, and styling-wise, I think it is aimed at more modern and sophisticated tastes than mine; Malibu Barbie comes to mind.

From a technical standpoint, I think it would be a challenge to make a left hand drive version, as the exhaust system takes up a lot of the left hand cockpit. [EDIT--I take this back; further review indicates there's sufficient footwell width added to compensate for the exhaust system--see the second post after this one]

In summary, I don't personally find the MEVster worthy of 19 exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gad, I've been such an Eeyore these days, but that's how I see it. On the plus side, I think it could be a real hit in the marketplace--it's distinctive, it's economical, and a whole lot easier to build than a Locost (or for that matter, easier than any kit car I know of besides the Exocet). So MEV may end up with a strong grasp of the Miata-based kit market, with the Exocet for folks that find the seven-derived kits (Westfield etc) too extreme, and the MEVster for folks that find the Exocet too extreme.

Post subject: Re: MEVster !!!
PostPosted: November 11, 2012, 5:03 am 

Hi Jack, I’ve backed off from keeping you guys in the US up to speed with what’s happening over here in the UK following the appointment/involvement of both http://www.exomotive.com and http://www.doverracing.net (MEV's Product Distributors in the USA) :wink:

Granted the MEVster is designed around a number of compromises and thus styling as you point out is limited.

Yes its Miata underpinnings limit its virtues, but there again let’s remember that the Miata is one very capable and proven package, also that in this country at least, thanks to our fantastic weather (not) many MK1’s our becoming un roadworthy due to rust, therefore making ideal kit car donors.

Not sure that there’s a problem with converting this to left hand drive, Exocet converts over easily.

Granted probably not worth 19 exclamation points, sorry finger got left on the key just a little bit too long :oops:

As far as how the market responds, we’ll all have to wait and see but priced at $6,999 for a LHD (comprehensive) kit in the US and £2,650 RHD in the UK it may will entice some.

(Me I’m waiting to see how a soft top / roof will look)

Nigel

PostPosted: November 11, 2012, 4:23 pm 

Hi Nigel, I just left Kevin Patrick (head of Exomotive, the US MEV dealer) a message suggesting he add his comments to this thread.

Also, I think you're right re the ease of conversion to LHD; there's a lot more foot space in the MEVster chassis than a Locost chassis (the MEVster chassis doesn't start tapering in at the knees) and I think it giveth more room to the driver's side of the cockpit than the exhaust system taketh away. I'll go back and edit my comment.

As far as compromises go, car design is all about compromise, and the biggest benefit of using the Miata undercarriage with minimal modification is simplicity (read Inexpensive and Easy to build). Moving the engine back and down is a huge complicator (shorten driveshaft, shorten PFF, weld new engine mounts to the front subframe) and for the MEVster market is probably unworthy of the effort.

And I probably wouldn't have teased you about the exclamation points if there hadn't been so many of them. I know you are very enthusiastic about Stuart's brilliance and not one to hide his light under a bushel basket, though I personally didn't find the MEVster to be either a spectacular technical advance in automotive design, nor a spectacular styling advance.

But taste is taste, and I don't doubt that you and Stuart find exclamation points appropriate (Stuart gives the MEVster three exclamation points as "The Lotus 7 Replacement !!!" and five exclamation points and ALL CAPS for the price for the starter kit "MEVSTER NOW ONLY £1250 !!!!!") when it comes to MEV products. I remember as a college kid, we graded feminine beauty in millihelens: Helen of Troy had a beauty that launched a thousand ships, so one millihelen = sufficient beauty to launch one ship. The range of tastes was amazing; a given woman might rank two or 800 millihelens, depending on who was doing the tasting.

PostPosted: November 11, 2012, 5:43 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
I remember as a college kid, we graded feminine beauty in millihelens: Helen of Troy had a beauty that launched a thousand ships, so one millihelen = sufficient beauty to launch one ship.

Aww jeez, Jack. I've got to write that one down! :lol:

PostPosted: November 15, 2012, 3:44 pm 

I think Kevin’s keeping busy, drifting a V8 Exocet at the moment! (Only one exclamation point that time)

I’m not sure I can equal your Helen of Troy quote so I’ll take a pass this time, mind you I think Keith said it all.

Anyway check out the blog Jack, Mevster's engines running already.

Nigel

PostPosted: November 19, 2012, 5:49 pm 

I like it. :P

I think the idea for most kit car buyers is more of a styling change than anything. A stock Miata would probably do fine for what most of the people will ever want. If you take way the rainbow flag stereotype with a styling change and keep the handling you're set. ;)

PostPosted: November 20, 2012, 9:01 am 

Hi Gentlemen, loads of exclamation marks there Nige!!!!!!
Perhaps the post on the MEV forum stating it is the Lotus 7 replacement could wind people up. Apologies, it has been changed and was not intended to offend. It is interesting to see this car develop. Obviously you guys cannot see the real thing but I can say that clearly the photos do not tell a true story. The screen for instance is 6" narrower than the MX5 unit.
The nose is narrower than a 7 alike and the rear end flows nicely into the side detail but does not look great in white, cohesive is how I see it.
Funny how when I removed the MASSIVE logo from the side it looked better and weird how a colour change makes such a huge difference.
Don't worry if you don't like it, I did not attempt to please everyone but it is quite clear hat these things are going to fly out the door. Cheap and easy to build, practical and modern sharp styling really appeals to the young Brits that's for sure.
Have a look at MEVSTER in blue here;
http://www.mevltd.co.uk/mevster_gallery.htm
or visit the build blog to see it without a logo here;
http://www.mevowners.proboards.com/inde ... 274&page=2
Have fun with your cars guys, regards Stuart Mills