LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next
PostPosted: December 19, 2012, 12:29 am 

March 3, 2011

Need to put the N600 OEM engine on a pallet and ship it Yellow Truck... Now have all 4 tires same size 175-50-13... MUCH better! / Tried to install the Dynojet on the VFR.. need tech help- will try another day..

March 6, 2011

I like the way the narrowed rear clip fits- fully welded it.. // Honda has 'stamped' frame rails, but they are very, very weak.. I will need to fully notch into them to clear the upper a-arm, so I will fab a bridge over each side (1.75 x 2.0 square tubing), and will fishplate (4 fishplates total) to get the strength back that I've taken out..

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1972 Honda N600 Restomod "ccrunner's N600 VFR800 repower"

1963 Volvo P1800 Restomod
http://locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=16309

1959 Berkeley SE492 Restomod...
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19397

"ccrunner's 1960 MGA coupe Restomod" found on MGExp.com

PostPosted: December 19, 2012, 1:44 pm 

Misc Musings

A little side note/ mental field trip.. I always wonder what kind of person the guy is behind a given build log.. is he a noob? retired? an engineer? 1st car? 15th car? what does he do for a living? I find the builder mindset very interesting- when we tell/show the average person what we're doing, they usually just can't grasp the idea- a car out of tubes??.. In my case, I explain that I pro-actively sought out a clown car pile of poo, and proceeded to take apart a beautiful street bike and combine the two.. The reaction is always "Why?!" -usually followed by compliments about how I'm a mechanical genius doing what no one else has ever done (even if for no apparent good reason)..

The Why? I don't know. My best day is being left alone and working on my project for hours.. Am I antisocial? -probably. Years ago tried to turn off my interest in old cars/bikes: too much time and $$.. I lasted about 6 months and went a little nutty before my wife suggested I "Find something to do in the garage- stop denying what you are; you're a car guy and it makes you happy." (cool wife, huh?). Anyway, in my case, some little corner of my brain needs to do this- this fabbing/polishing/puzzling/fitting/fiddling.. Admittedly there's got to be a bit of ego in this too.. I like the attention an unusual/rare/cool car brings- and I'm very, very proud that I have the ability to build it myself (as opposed to those that buy someone else's work.. nothing wrong with it, but it's clear when you talk to an owner about how such and so was fabbed, the builder-owner can give you a 20 minute soliloquy on it; and the buyer-owner just shrugs..). Probably later in life I'll want to get off the garage floor and let someone else do the work, but I'm not there yet..

A Genius? Why, yes, yes I am! HA! You guys know all too well that this process is a ton of trial and error.. most things I have to build 2 or three times before I get it right, and even then I often still think about how to change/improve/fix it.. There's no genius about it, but I occassionally approach clever.. Also, I've known for years that I have a bit of an obsessive personality, which is actually a benefit for these long-term projects.. As you know, it takes just that person(ality) to spend 3 hours on a bracket that no one will ever see, decide it's 'ugly,' pitch it, and make it again.

Sane? Only because of the hobby. No matter how screwy the job gets (my last career abruptly ended Sept 5, 2008 due to the recession :( ), or what else in life goes awry, my silly little obsessive project is there to provide 'garage therapy'.. Truth be told my old car habit keeps me home and honest (my last mistress, the voluptuous "Effie" ('53 F100) was admittedly a bit more attractive than my current affair with petite little "Ennie"). I'm lucky my wife is so tolerant of my daliances :lol:

That's enough musing- back to the build..

PostPosted: December 19, 2012, 2:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
There's no genius about it, but I occassionally approach clever.

Yeah! What he said... That might be the "quote of the year" for LocostUSA...
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 19, 2012, 2:52 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Never mind all that (just kidding) what's been happening with the build since March 6?

PostPosted: December 20, 2012, 12:27 am 

March 6, 2011

More pics on rear 'frame' section.. In hindsight I probably overbuilt it for the weight of the car, but I know it won't break!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 20, 2012, 1:09 pm 

ccrunner wrote:
Misc Musings
The Why? I don't know.

I find, that isthe direct opposite of why mountain climbers do their thing (an activity I also pursue)

in the case of building vehicles though, its because it WASN'T there, but now, thru our own efforts, it is. something which, prior to our efforts, was only an idea. We make it real.

Quote:
That's enough musing- back to the build..

it can be successfully argued that for each of us, the build is our Muse, which we will always come back to. ;-)

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: December 26, 2012, 10:46 am 

More March 6, 2011

Cut out entire rear trunk area and confirmed that rear seat bottom loses about 1" to clear room for Miata rear clip.. Even so, it will actually still look stock.. // Need to learn Miata stock distance between shock tower upper mounts and narrow by 9.5 inches.. seems that the shocks-coils will need to go right though the N's frame 'rails'.. solution is to get 5 or 6" diameter tubing (fairly heavy wall) and weld it the rail on each side to act as a pass through // also need to run 2 ribs perpendicular to rails to act as crossmembers-mount area for Miata clip // worried about frame "C" notches and upper control arm clearance.. likely need to rework upper arms to gain more travel- don't want to notch the frame any further...

March 7, 2011

Installed PCIII USB on bike- also did oil change on bike (33,150 mi.).. did not alter the PCIII map yet because I need help loading software // Spoke with Matt on N600 engine today- check is on the way(?) and plan to ship it next week.. // Looking at pics of 7.5 diff (don't have one yet).. it will be very tight fitting it in narrowed Miata subframe- we'll see.. (MARCH 8)- Called Dynojet for tech help and was able to download software and maps (there are 3 maps for my model/make/year from dynojet; from stock up to an open intake/exhuast)- (MARCH 9)- Loaded map 2 of 3 (mild) into bike.. Nice! Noticable change.. power delivery is very smooth and strong-- took out the OEM flat spots!.. I've been concerned with trying to bring this engine's torque 'down' in the RPM band, but with this improvement (nice, even, strong pull) I'll likely leave motor alone until it's in the car and running then see where the power is or is not.. even at that, seems like a lot could be done by putting a custom tune on this engine once the intake/exhaust are final (it's likely to breathe much more freely in the car with the headers I'll build).. // learned that my rear upper shock spread is to be 28.5"

PostPosted: December 26, 2012, 11:08 am 

March 12-13, 2011

Continued on rear frame rails.. Next-door Nick offered use of his Mig welder.. SOOO much nicer to use than my gassless setup.. I kept blowing through the thin Honda sheetmetal.. much more controlled now.. using .023 wire.. // The rear of car mods are taking much longer than I thought they would, but those upper shock mounts will carry all of the rear weight, so gotta be careful and make it solid

March 15 - moved over to driver side for rear frame mods.. cutting-grinding-cutting-grinding-cutting-grinding

March 16 - Cleaned up N600 steel wheels (10"!) and caps and posted for sale.. also took pics of several other extra N600 parts and will soon post them too.. the parts for this car aren't crazy rare or expensive really, but it's tough finding nice OEM parts and there's no aftermarket support for this car

clown car bits...

PostPosted: December 26, 2012, 11:24 am 

Freakishly Small

Another little side trip here-- and more bending of time.. this bad cell phone pic was taken at the mall in Oct 2012- just a few months ago.. At this point I'd had the car out and on it's own power for a few weeks..

I've had some pretty nice cars/trucks over the years, but nothing, nothing has come close to the interest this little freak show generates.. I'm pretty sure it's just something people have never seen and don't know quite what to make of it.. that, and it's freakishly small. Yes, sadly, size apparently does matter :roll:

PostPosted: December 26, 2012, 6:56 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

How many clowns does it hold? (Just kidding)

Seriously though, I like it. The smaller the better.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: December 26, 2012, 9:37 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
How many clowns does it hold?

My wife would say one if I'm in it :wink:

March 19-20 2011

1/2 off w/e at Pick-a-Part.. ((I love Pick-a-Part- I could spend all day out there..)) Found a 7.5 IRS diff-open-3.27 (wanted a 3.08 but no luck) + 2 complete axles for $105.00... I'm to the point now where I won't even go to pick-a-part unless it's 1/2 off day... // learned that 7.5 will physically fit in my narrowed rear (I was worried about clearing pivot points).. On N600 finished welding upper frame support and outside fishplate // found an 'ok' windshield in Bay Area (good N600 windshields are rare and can be expensive)- I'll have Mark (friend in the area) pick it up when he can get free time..

March 23-- both frame rails now notched.. Positioned rear clip roughly up into place to learn where to install 2 crossmembers.. looks like about 1/2" above N600 stock trunk height to achieve an acceptable pinion angle/ height for driveshaft to clear passenger seat easily and have axles level at ride height // upper Miata control arms must be modded to clear frame notches- a compromise but should work fine.. Upper coil mounts and frame interference are a challenge- just no room to fit everything.. maybe move lower shock mount (on lower control arms) rearward about 1" to gain needed clearance.. also need to move upper shock mounts 'in' about 1/2" each to gain clearance.. tight tight tight....

PostPosted: December 28, 2012, 10:53 am 

March 26-27, 2011

Tacked 2 x-members into rear frame // Mounted rear clip to car // Notched into upper control arm(s)- looks like I'll have 2.25" bump travel (enough?) // at this mock-up, subframe sits about 5.5" off the ground w/ lower control arms (and axles) level // If more bump travel is needed need to re-notch the upper arms a bit..

March 29 -- Went back after upper arms to gain more clearance- reworked and now have 3.0" max bump... at full bump, diff will be about 2" off the ground. // Also mocked in Polaris RZR seat and assumed likely driveshaft path-- front half of shaft will jag into passenger footwell pretty far, but looks like both RZR seats will in fact fit (very tight) // wondering how I'm going to get exhaust through rear clip area and out the back of the car-- I'll figure that out later..

PostPosted: December 28, 2012, 11:38 am 

April 3, 2011

Engine buyer Matt still hasn't paid- got a local offer on the engine for more than it's going to Matt for- local guy is desparate- I told him if my 1st buyer flakes (as it's looking he will), then it's his.. // emailed Matt and insisted on payment by the 6th- this engine is in the way, and he's really been dragging his feet- I hate dealing with flakey people.. // Buddy Mark picked up windshield in Bay Area and says he can't find anything wrong with it "It's tiny, and it looks great!" This is good news as the seller said there was a slight wiper scratch that would likely buff out.. cool!

April 5 -- Got an email from Matt; said he sent a check on the 4th priority mail.. I don't think I like this guy, and I'm tempted to just sell this engine to the local guy for Matt's price.. I hate to do it (these engine's are tough to come by), but I'm not asking that much for it, and I just don't believe Matt anymore when he says "the check is on the way" // Finished welding Driver rear upper a-arm- dressed it- turned out nice.. finally I'm happy with the travel and the way these arms fit and function..

PostPosted: December 28, 2012, 12:03 pm 

April 7-11, 2012

Cut all (4) axle stubs to a workable length as I plan to 'sleeve' them for new shortened length (at least at first.. the car has only 105hp, so best case the sleeving works, worst case it gives a pattern to have new axles made) // Matt's 2nd check should have been here by now (first check was somehow lost in the mail several weeks ago :BH: ) // I've posted many of the other N600 OEM parts up on the boards-- not much interest yet--- maybe the other 3 people that have these cars aren't interested :wink:

April 8 -- Matt's check made it (I'm really surprised, but happy)

April 9 -- Ran a small local 5K with some of the girls from work (it was cool for them to get out, even if only for a few hours).. wanted them to see that running is a positive life force.. 23:09 got me 8th overall (of 170), and first 40-49s.. woof! I haven't placed in my age group in years.. I think all the fast old guys stayed home today :lol: Can't wait to see the other kids in JH Monday- The little trash-talkers have no idea their English teacher has some skills :mrgreen: // Moved onto passenger lower arm to move the pocket.. got about 1/2 way through this one.. // plan to ship the motor on the 12th

PostPosted: December 28, 2012, 7:50 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

The lca mods look a lot like the mods I do to miata lcas for the coilovers to clear the tbird outer cvs.
The uppers look almost as bent as an oem tbird uca.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 649 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 44  Next