LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: December 30, 2012, 2:32 pm 

andyawesome wrote:
Just wanted to let y'all know I havn't died or given up haha. Time to catch up on some reading!

Good to know, sometimes when postings trail off they never come back :( Putting the build aside for too long can sometimes be the kiss of death. Out of sight, out of mind and hard to get cranked up again. Overall, you've made good progress, but remember, we like pictures :D

Good building in the New Year.

Ron

PostPosted: December 31, 2012, 12:51 am 

Yeah I noticed alot of build logs just trailed off to nothing, but I am determined that mine wont 8) . Anyway as promised here are some pictures. I ended up doing something a bit unconventional with the rearmost LCA mount by putting it on the upright tube, I hope it won't cause any problems with it not being wide enough but we will see.
I have been spending my time buttoning up some things on the chassis welds etc. I had to make a small notch in the tube for transmission clearance so I boxed it in but haven't welded yet. I plan on doing a motorcycle shock pushrod type suspension but I want to see my rough weight and weight distribution before settling on anything.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: January 17, 2013, 10:21 pm 

So I started working on the rear suspension. I was thinking about how to use the miata rear spindles with rod ends and spherical bearings and I wasn't sure the best way. I looked into the miata rear housing spherical kit from ICSracing and decided against it, I'm not sure the lifespan of spherical bearings in that application but that and the welding the sleeves to hold the bearing in just didn't sit quite well with me. I'm sure it's fine but I kinda wanted a different way to do it.

Here is what I came up with. Parts I used:
From pegasus auto racing
2 Spherical Bearing Weld Cup for 1" (1.00") O.D. Bearing 1825-150-1000
2 Narrow Spherical Bearing, 1/2 x 1.0 3071-8\
From online metals
1 random length (10-12") piece of 1.5 x .065 DOM tubing
1 10-12" piece of .0625x.065 DOM tubing

I had to file the inside of the rear spindle where the rubber bushing usually is a little bit. When I measured the outside I came up with 1.48" ID. A couple minites with the file and I had a nice press in sleeve that was 1.37ID to fit the 1.375 weld cup(I am going to grind a little bit off the weld cup and weld it into the sleeve).
Attachment:
3.JPG

Then I took a 5/8 drill and drilled out the bottom bolt holes in the spindle. Cut my pieces of DOM tubing to fit and voila.
Attachment:
2.JPG

The only thing I am not sure of is the spherical bearing strength, it seems a little bit small to me but the radial load rating seemed ok at 17,900 lb. If nothing else the whole thing is captive so it shouldn't be too bad if a failure occurs. That being said I went with the higher quality spherical bearing.
I also grinded off the flashing material and the ABS sensor nub. I know a guy who does this in spec miata to save a little bit of unsprung mass.
Attachment:
1.JPG

Attachment:
4.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 7, 2013, 10:32 pm 

This is gonna be a picture heavy post hope thats ok.

Anyway first off I finished my transmission mount, it is energy suspension part 9.4101r I made a mount on the frame as well as a bracket to attach to the two 14mm? bolts near the end of the transmission it should not see a whole lot of load we will see if it will hold up. The frame side mount is 1/4 inch plate with a 7/8 whole drilled in it attached to the 1/8 plate downward sloping sides and a 16ga strengthening panel at the back
Attachment:
IMG_1419.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_1430.JPG

Secondly I got a good picture of the spherical bearing I fitted into the miata rear spindle from last post. The welds are pretty shitty but if they hold the bearing retainer in while I pressed in the bearing with a 30 ton press It should hold up :lol:
Attachment:
IMG_1426.JPG

The cost ended up being about 110 dollars so not super low cost but cheap enough.

I got the diff mounted by using these shouldered spacers from allstar products the front ones fit the diff housing perfectly and the rears took a little grinding to get perfect. A little JB weld later and it is mounted.
Attachment:
IMG_1429.JPG

The mount will be braced and reinforced, just want to make super sure that everything is centered before I do. It might be an 1/8 inch off hard to measure haha.
The ears will be solid mounted too just haven't got to that yet.

Here she is as she sits. Note I shortened the driveshaft for fitment purposes, I will get a custom 2" Driveshaft made soon
Attachment:
IMG_1427.JPG

And Finally I got some goodies!!
Attachment:
IMG_1431.JPG

PostPosted: March 13, 2013, 10:34 pm 
Always Moore!

Did you ever get the rear suspension together? It will be interesting to hear how the spherical compares to the OEM bushing.