LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 7:20 pm 

Hi, my name is Larry and it's time to start my build log. As the subject implies it it a big one. I've been working on it for almost three years now. I have been lurking here longer than that and want to thank all the people I have stolen ideas from. I have driven my car up and down the drive way a few times and around the block twice. As soon as I figure out how to post pictures I will try to start at the begining and go from there. I am using a Toyota 4ac motor with an automatic trans. a ford 7.5 inch rear end and mustang 2 front spindles. The frame is mostly 1.25 inch 16 gauage square mild steel along with 1 inch 3/4 inch and some round. I'm looking forward to trying to remember what I did and why. This could be interesting.

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 9:03 pm 

Welcome to the group! If you've been lurking then you probably already know most of the players, looking forward to pictures though...... David

PostPosted: January 31, 2013, 10:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

So... Would the car you built be a "Lotus 8.75"???

Keep us posted on your progress, or history, I guess it is. Pictures are always welcome!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 1, 2013, 5:28 am 

I'm a fellow Toyota donor builder here! I have to admit I have a soft spot for 4ac's, (my AE86 used to be SR5) that engine was bulletproof! Looking forward to the pics!

PostPosted: February 1, 2013, 12:40 pm 

this is a picture from last summer that I'm using as a test for loading pictures.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 1, 2013, 1:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Testing 1,2,3... Picture looks good, Larry! Fire away!
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 1, 2013, 3:23 pm 

Hi Other Larry!

I'll keep a very interested eye on your log.

Go man!

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 2:33 pm 

Thank you for the welcoming comments. These are pictures of the planning part of my build, almost five decades worth. My first car was bought with the intent of building a Jabro H mod car. It never happened, but the seed was planted. I'm still learning about posting pictures so please bear with me. I forgot to put Keith's book in the stack for the picture. There were also many trips to the hobby store for the, design and structual testing, material.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 2:51 pm 

Hey that worked way better than expected. Here are the first pictures of the frame. It is a modified 442E. It is 50 inches wide so is that an 842E or 482E? The other major difference is in the dash board bulkhead area. I moved somethings forward and somethings backward to get everything lined up. There are also four removable braces in the engine bay to make engine and trans removal easier. The second picture is a bit later in the build.

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 5:03 pm 

As my build progressed, not having any plans showed up a few times. Mainly the steering, on the bottom end, part of the rack and a frame tube wanted to be in the same space. On the top I went through four varations before getting it right, maybe. These are the first two versions, can't find any good pictures right now of the rest of them. There were more of those redesigns along the way. Oops put the pictures in the wrong order, still learning.

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 7:45 pm 

JD, I think you'r right. Lotus 8.75 looks about right. Or could that be a Slotus 8.75 NW.

PostPosted: February 2, 2013, 10:10 pm 

Larry - great to see your project here!!

JMR

My build log viewtopic.php?f=36&t=10658&start=0 NOW NAMED =The Wycked 7

My other build log viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15162 The Skayt'R6

PostPosted: February 4, 2013, 2:05 pm 

This is how I did the bushing for the steering column, it works and it's cheep. I have way more time then money, so anything I can make with the stuff I find in my garage, I will. I have too much stuff in my garage!

PostPosted: February 4, 2013, 2:10 pm 

Kartracer47 wrote:
Larry - great to see your project here!!
+1 on that!

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: February 4, 2013, 2:20 pm 

When it came time for the first round of final welding I built a rotisserie with recycled 2x6's, castor wheels, and a borrowed piece of 1.75 DOM tubing. I strongly recommend a rotisserie of some type, it makes the welding so much easer.