LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 26, 2007, 11:17 pm 

I am trying to find some examples of body work that has the front wings/fenders enclosed somewhat like the clamshells but around the front as well.
Ideally I am looking for something like the aero 8 style from the sideview but the inside edge of the fender is open to allow the wheel room to turn without giving in to the bulbus look that it has at the front.
Any links or pics you could show me towards.
Thanks
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 12:02 am 

PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 11:14 am 
1957 TR250

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 11:17 am 

I can't tell from the pics how far down these come over the front to the wheels but I thought you may find them of interest.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/p/1469,,_ ... mNo=FENDER

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 11:31 am 
Just saw this on lcuk.

PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 2:04 pm 

dale wrote:
Ideally I am looking for something like the aero 8 style from the sideview but the inside edge of the fender is open to allow the wheel room to turn without giving in to the bulbus look that it has at the front.

How about the Allard J2X? This photo is from http://www.mulsannescorner.com which is The Site to Seek if you're looking for photos or tech info re LeMans Prototypes. There are more photos and supporting text on that site at http://www.mulsannescorner.com/allardj2xstory.html

The car is a trifle modernistic for my tastes, but it does avoid the bulbous Morgan/Donkevoort look. I'm quite fond of having the front fender open on both sides (as you'd guess from the 2k7), it's the only practical way to get adequate turning radius for the street while retaining a narrow fender and a low front body section--and besides, I like watching my wheels move up and down.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 3:54 pm 

1960 MBM SP-100

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 27, 2007, 6:57 pm 

I am quite fond of the drawings from the guy whos pic is in locostv8's post. I like having the inner side of the wheel showing as well as I too like to see the wheels moving. Time for sketching.
Thanks
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 28, 2007, 12:25 am 
If you are talking about the yellow and blue one, Thats the Hockenheim 2006 Donkervoort seven.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29, 2007, 10:19 pm 

Did not have much time or insperation for drawing last night but just did a bit of a side and quick front. I want to keep the vintage look over the gp racer look of the donkey. I may lay up the front like the jag but I like the open inside view of the wheel as well. For me I think venting the air out the side of the car as in the donkey takes away alot of the vintage look and I am looking for a way of maybe louvering (spelling) the top surface of the front fender about 2/3s of the way back. I may have to mock it up in wood or foam and see what it looks like.

Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29, 2007, 10:45 pm 

Dig it, epecially the grille and front signals.

Would be interesting to compare the side view to another version with a less rounded interface between the back fender and the running board. A sharp transition there may look more "period".

JAT (just a thought)

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 29, 2007, 11:25 pm 

I might be able to bring that down and backward a bit as I like the look of it as well. Problem is it gets really close to the brackets for the suspension arms for the rear. I have drawn it both ways. It would allow the fenders to be done it 2 pieces. If I go with this style of fenders I would like to make the running board thick enough to be able to hide two 2.5 inch pipes or one 3 inche pipe for the exhaust. It would be nice for the running boards to be usable as well.
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30, 2007, 1:22 am 
Don't have time to draw it but how about pontoon style fenders. kind of like taking two clamshells upside down to each other with the connecting pannel being something like the 50s corvette then do the headlights similar to the MG TF. Since you aren't going for a traditional 7 look bring the sides of the body out about half the width of the exhaust so that half eppears to be sunken into the body. This would allow a bit more crush zone and maybe side pockets inside for stuff.

Something I remember from way back on forming fglass is making the buck totally out of foam then apply the glass over it wraping wax paper over the outside to smooth it a bit. The foam would be then eaten out by gasoline.

Also a V windshield.

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30, 2007, 9:11 am 

Here is the sketch with the non sloped rear wing attatchment. I have every intention of a "V" windshield and am pretty sure that pic is from mustang six.
Dale

Post subject:
PostPosted: March 30, 2007, 10:03 am 

I think I like that better - but that's a just a personal taste thing.

You may have to make the profile of the rocker covers taller to cover the muffler and/or to make the shapes more fluid. Or not - move the muffler/cat forward to make room for them.

JAT

This car is gonna look so cool when you are done...