LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next
PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 1:57 pm 

Hi,

My name is Yohan Tessier, I am located in Canada near Montréal. I have been in cars for a while and about a year ago, a good friend of mine talked to me about the locost. After reading the books and this forum many times, I decided after the holidays that I would start my project.

Please feel free to give all your constructive comments as I would like to make things as good as possible on the first pass.

The car will be mainly intended for track use while I would like to use it once in a while on the road,

Thanks and I look forward to your comments,

Yohan

PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 2:27 pm 

My first pictures:

Thanks to Francois for his build table!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 2:29 pm 

Welcome Yohan,

I like the kinked front tubes (that's how I do it myself, and that's how the Haynes Roadster is done) and I know it's probably psychological, but I gusset the inside of those kinks with a broad V-shaped section of 1" tube (it's 4 or 5 inches long, one side cut out to make a C-channel, then the two legs cut to shallow Vs--I'll try to find a pic).

PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 2:42 pm 

Thanks Jack,

Sorry for the double post, I wasn't sure the first one got through.

Some other pics as I learn how to post them!!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 2:44 pm 

Sorry if the picture are misoriented, I will try to solve this on my other posts, also, I did not realised the pictures would be posted this way, the first one is at the bottom to get things chronologically.

PostPosted: March 11, 2013, 9:54 pm 
The voice of reason

Welcome Yohan! Did Francois finish his car? I think I remember him. Look up our forum member Ewhen, he is in Montreal and has built several of these cars. He has some good advice on this forum for the registration hurdles.

I was wondering about the cover on your diff and I see looking again that it is different then what you started with. What is that cover for, is it stronger or easier for you to mount?

PostPosted: March 12, 2013, 8:57 am 
We are Slotus!

Good morning from Florida, Yohan! Good to have another builder on board. Looks like you are off to a good start, keep after it, and keep us posted!
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 12, 2013, 11:37 am 

Hi Horizenjob, Francois's car is almost done, I actually saw him last week. Francois has been really nice to me answering tons of questions! The diff cover is one from a ford explorer. It is supposed to be stronger but also it was easier to setup the brakets to attach it and giving me more clearance for the fuel cell.

Hi Gonzoracer, thanks for your nice comment!

This week end I will try to finish the control arms for the rear suspension.

Do you guys have any suggestions for good shock absorber to use in a rocker system. I would them to have a good adjustable valving and if they could be small in diameter it would help a lot placing them in the chassis.

Thanks!

PostPosted: March 13, 2013, 10:38 pm 
Always Moore!

It probably depends on how much you want to spend.

The QA1s seem to be pretty popular and they are not too expensive (I seem to recall less than $200/shock). Gaz shocks are also fairly popular but there are not as many suppliers in the U.S. I wouldn't consider either to be "top of the shelf" but both seem to work for people.

A few other builders stumbled on stuff like Koni racing coilovers on Ebay for pretty reasonable prices. It might be worth keeping your eyes opened.

PostPosted: March 15, 2013, 11:10 am 

Thanks a.moore,

I will look for this. I could get a good deal on a set of AFCO 3850. They have 5 inch of travel. Has anyone ever used this?

thanks,

PostPosted: March 21, 2013, 8:32 am 

Hi,

I have been working on my rear control arms and I am now planning for a RC of 4'' with the LCA and UCA attachment on the frame as low as possible to reduce the RC movement Under roll. Using the Vsusp, I realise .5 '' can have quite an impact on this.

I will post pictures soon.

In the mean time, I already found the driver who will race it!!

BTW, can somebody explain me how to rotate the photos? I tried doing it in the file I extract them from my computer but it doesn't change anything.

Thanks,

PostPosted: March 21, 2013, 10:41 am 
The voice of reason

I'm trying to type sideways because my head is stuck on my shoulder now, but that isn't working either! I love these pictures of little kids sitting in these cars. I am sure they will always remember that and know that people can actually build things still.

WHen you get a chance try to post the link to your Vsusp data. All the information for your setup is in the link.

PostPosted: March 21, 2013, 4:53 pm 

Hi, would you happen to know how to rotate the photos?

I will post my vsusp tonight.

Thanks for your comment!

PostPosted: March 21, 2013, 5:19 pm 

I think photos have to right side up in their native form. I don't think you can rotate a photo within this site. Try MS Office Picture Manager; QuickTime Picture Viewer; Widows photo gallery; or just plain ol' Paint.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 21, 2013, 8:22 pm 

Are you taking the pics with a phone? If yes, rotate the phone 90 degrees and take a shot.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 269 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 18  Next