LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: FS Track Day Car
PostPosted: September 10, 2011, 5:23 pm 

Glen,
Thanks for the good news. Makes me think I'll hold onto the car until I see what is happening at the track.

joshduke,
First of all, the sell it for a dollar trick only works until the taxman determines that you are trying to felloniously evade sales tax.
Second, even though I HATE owning a trailer, if Gateway re-opens, I will find someway to drag the car over there behind my aging Subaru. Is there a section on this forum for locost trailers?

Marty

PostPosted: September 10, 2011, 8:14 pm 
The voice of reason

Do some searching. Trailers have been discussed along with pictures. There's a useful place called something like trailer-parts.com

PostPosted: September 29, 2011, 9:59 pm 

No, I'm not talking about trying to dodge taxes. Most places that I've lived set taxes/fees on a book value of the car, not what you claim you paid for it, anyway. I'm talking about having someone title it for you in a state that doesn't have the same restrictions as yours regarding the engine. Once the car has a title/state registration, you should then be able to title it in your state, correct?

Hell, you'll end up paying taxes to TWO states. It's the opposite of evading taxes. The only reason I suggested a dollar was because there's no reason to transfer a bunch of money back and forth for what's essentially an on-paper sale just for the sake of getting the thing titled.

PostPosted: October 3, 2011, 9:59 am 

Thanks joshduke. I am losing enthusiasm for this project. I was hoping the re-opening of Gateway would allow me to at least drive the car on track; even if I had to buy or build a trailer. Unfortunately (after a little bit of research), the SCCA PDX program will not allow the car unless it is street licensed. The BMWCCA rule book requires the roll hoop to be 1.5" OD whereas I built the hoop to the SCCA GCR requirements (1.38" OD). Finally, I can't find the PCA requirements on line.
I'm going to take one more shot at the Missouri DMV and then go to sleep for the winter.
Marty

PostPosted: October 3, 2011, 12:31 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
The BMWCCA rule book requires the roll hoop to be 1.5" OD whereas I built the hoop to the SCCA GCR requirements (1.38" OD).

How about more paint? Lots more paint!

THe BMWCCA rules are probably not targeting such a small car, they drive Panzers. You could ask if they would accept "SCCA legal", I think you would have a good chance there. It's off season now so there is time to pursue that avenue...

Good luck.

PostPosted: October 3, 2011, 1:22 pm 

More paint!! Good sugestion. I'd be tempted to add some form of smily here but don't want to seem to internet savvy.
Actually, the nice folks at the local BMWCCA have been very helpful. They have even agreed that a street license is not a requirement. Once I sent them a picture of the car, however, they rejected it immediately as probably being "too fast" and not being compatible with their sedans. Vague promises were made about allowing me and my ten closest friends with similar cars to have a separate run group.
Cheers
Marty

PostPosted: October 17, 2011, 11:33 am 

Car is now on ebay. Item 110759875293

PostPosted: September 6, 2012, 1:57 pm 

Attachment:
DSC03256 (2) (800x600).jpg

I have upgraded the car to include new seat belts, an accusump and new carbon fiber fenders (trimmed but unfaired, not mounted to the chassis). Still unable to obtain license here in MO.
First $7,500 takes it.
Marty

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 7, 2012, 11:40 pm 

Marty, your engine problem can be easily remedied -- the engine number is only one one part. Buy a dead-but-documented engine and swap that one part.

PostPosted: March 27, 2013, 2:04 pm 

Car is still available. Willing to accept partial trades of a single or twin project motorcycle.
Marty

PostPosted: March 29, 2013, 12:32 am 

Man, that car looks like a real treat--and a bargain as well.

So, did it meet its design goals? And is there video of it driving, preferably tearing up the course somewhere, an autocross perhaps?

PostPosted: March 29, 2013, 10:30 am 

Hi Jack (never say that on an airplane),
Unfortunately I lost my enthusiasm after dealing with the licensing agents so I haven't driven it. Heck, I haven't even started it yet. Since it is just a two seater version of my old DSR (BCNU Mk1) I have no doubt about it's capabilities.
The funny thing is, I have emailed out quite a number of my design drawings (sketches really) to everyone who is convinced they can build it cheaper than my asking price ($7500). I have documented every penny I have spent on it and am now just over $14,300. Everything is new except the engine. I'm sure this would make a nice toy for someone.
Marty

PostPosted: April 9, 2013, 12:03 am 

that is an absolute BARGAIN

anyone that thinks they can come anywhere near that for the price you're asking is crazy - maybe if they consider theirs personal time worth negative dollars?

Buy my car! - F20C Race car

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 3:00 pm 

Thanks for the kind words. I am proud of this car. Just, at this stage in my life, get enthused to fight the politics to obtain a license.
Marty

PostPosted: April 10, 2013, 3:32 pm 

My sentiments exactly, Tongboy. I'm looking into how to register it in Oregon (the equipment isn't going to be much trouble, but our DMV folks are sticklers on proof-of-ownership on major components--the engine, for example) and if that works, looking into how to get it out here. I'm not calling First Dibs or nothin' but I'm genuinely interested in it.