LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 9:39 am 

cheapracer wrote:
I had to pull old faithful out today to bend some 1.5" x 0.095" and as you can see I have no issues at all. Notice how far apart my outside dies are, I'm sure some have trouble with inner crimping because they feel they need those dies close together, you do not. Also be careful as the distance those dies are apart changes the radius slightly.

As it's a bit old, leaks a bit and needs a wash, I have named it "GonzoRacer"...

It needs a little paint also. May I suggest Purple.

PostPosted: May 10, 2012, 11:16 am 
The voice of reason

Cheapracer, did that actually come with a tubing die or are you able to make do with a pipe die?

PostPosted: May 12, 2012, 12:58 am 

horizenjob wrote:
Cheapracer, did that actually come with a tubing die or are you able to make do with a pipe die?

They are the original pipe dies that came with it, I only ground off a bit of flashing from the casting. Being as lazy as I am I don't even clean the years old crap off them.

I need to bend up some 1.25" x 0.080" later today or tomorrow, I'll grab a pic.

photoman wrote:
It needs a little paint also. May I suggest Purple.

Prince, is that you?

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 12:53 pm 

Ok, as i mentioned I bent some 32mm/1.25" x 2mm/0.080" today and you see I get the same decent result...

Attachment:
32bends.jpg

FWIW - the outer dies are 450mm apart for this 32mm/1.25" and 530mm apart for the 38mm/1.5"

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 13, 2012, 9:54 pm 

when using the pro tools hydraulic bender, you must remember to move the pin in the die or the ram will spit out,

also if you do not place the pins in the right place, you may bend the bender.

just follow the instructions, they can be downloaded from their web site free.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: August 1, 2012, 10:00 pm 

Wish me luck, I'm going to pick one of these up used. If it works well, or not, I'll report back. Any good luck using a HF notcher?

http://www.lowbucktools.com/34bender.html

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by 53sled on August 3, 2012, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 11:31 am 

I have a hf notcher and it works perfectly.Im not sure about the protools ram spitting out thing ,maybee it was put together wrong,mine has been perfect.

PostPosted: August 2, 2012, 8:56 pm 

when i'm using big dies, the ram runs out of travel so if you want to bend 90 deg. in 11/2" tube the ram isn't long enough to go all the way so you have to back it off and use the next hole in the die.

if you don't do this, eventually the piston comes out of the cylinder.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: September 7, 2012, 4:01 pm 

Tony and I split the cost of a Princess Auto special offer conduit bender (Now that's sharing risk of failure - what risk of failure you might say), him to bend a bikini top arch and me to bend some 3/4 aluminum tube for my boat. The ratchet mecahnism croaked after about 10 bends and because it wasn't a normally catalogued item we couldn't exchange it without a receipt.

Time came to bend some 3/4 mild steel tube for a spare tire carrier, in the Birkin style. I clamped a die in the vice, trapped one end of the tube behind a bench dog, and pulled on the other end. Your ultimate basic bender, albeit one that relied on having extra tube for screw-ups, not to mention cutting the tube long so I could get enough leverage to bend it.

Maybe one day I will fabricate a bending frame like Cheapracer's to make use of the dies and an old hydraulic jack I have lying around. I certainly wouldn't want to try to bend anything more robust than 3/4 tube using the present approach!

PostPosted: March 5, 2013, 7:04 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
I have the cheapest nastiest hand hydraulic pipe bender (not tube bender) and it does the most awesome roll cage bends you could see! I can do up to 100 degrees easily and 180 with 3 sets of 60 and you wouldn't know the difference (trick is to do the 2 outside 60's first then the middle one last).

As I said "pipe" bender so it's just for the FIA/SCCA thickness roll cage tubing ie; 38mm x 2.5mm and 42mm x 2.5mm and 3mm wall.

It does bend 32mm and 25mm x 2mm wall nicely too.

.... and I mean real nice parallel wall bends but starts to get a bit iffy at 1.6mm and under.

Not this one but this type ..

I'm starting to look around for a bender to do my seat frames and the rear hoops for the boot bodywork. Harbor Freight, our local inexpensive tool outlet, sent me a "Super Coupon" for a similar kind of pipe bender for $90 US. I probably could do with a manual bender (or benders, since bender and die are one) because I'm not doing that much, but your experience with roll bars, cages has me interested. The pipe dies (inside diameter?) supplied with the one they discounted are: 1/2”, 3/4”, 1”, 1-1/4”, 1-1/2” and 2”.

Here's the webpage ==> http://www.harborfreight.com/12-ton-hyd ... 0%3D%0D%0A

What's your secret? The Williams Lobuck tools guys are very negative about this type of bender and even have a small webpage discussing it here ==> http://www.lowbucktools.com/benderFAQ.html

How long did it take you to get proficient with it? How does it do with thin tubing like our 16 (1.6mm) and 14 (2.1mm) gauge tubing?

Do you ever need to use the dry sand packing or similar to get good results?

Thanks,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 8, 2013, 11:29 pm 

I spent the morning looking at the manual conduit benders and our local home improvement store (Home Depot) and then the looking at the Harbor Freight pipe bender, fairly similar in design to the one cheapracer uses.

My impression is that the manual conduit bender would be difficult to use with accuracy anywhere but with the two rear hoops, which have two simple bends some distance apart. Nick felt it was not workable for the smaller radius, lower hoop on his car. Martin was able to do both for his Haynes Roadster. I think the rear hoops for my car are doable with it, but I'm looking for a tool to do more sophisticated bending for seat frames and other applications, some not related to the Locost.

Here's the Home Depot manual unit in action. It's made by Klein Tools, but there are other similar tools from different manufacturers such as Greenlee:

1) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_4nXhQC2ys

I did find some videos on YouTube demonstrating how three owners approached using the Harbor Freight pipe bending unit for tube bending. Here they are:

2) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLSQrT1Ec70
3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWT3N3m4bE4
4) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlSnVSrWg0M

After going to see it in person at my local Harbor Freight outlet, my impression is that the Harbor freight tool is useful, but it's going to be awkward to use and really overkill for 3/4" and 1" tubing I plan to bend. It's a big tool and will be difficult to store in my overcrowded garage. My discount coupon is still good for a few days, so I'm going to continue to look for alternatives before deciding on a tool to use for bending.

Cheers,

PostPosted: April 16, 2013, 2:32 am 

Nothing beats a good vertical tube bender used in conjunction with a digital angle finder.

PostPosted: April 16, 2013, 10:54 am 

mtntech wrote:
Nothing beats a good vertical tube bender used in conjunction with a digital angle finder.

"vertical tube bender?" What the hell is that? Got a picture?

Because I couldn't find some thing that really worked and was also affordable, I did the obvious, which is absolutely nothing. Now, you're going to think I'm being smart when I point you to this YouTube video, but I'm not. What this fellow did is not a true solution for our fabricating needs, but it is so simple (and pretty darned effective) that I wondered if I could find some ready made items that would allow adaptation to something a little more capable. I just haven't found time to do the research yet.

To wit:

Super simple, super cheap tube bender ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjybH5jJqTY

Cheers,

PostPosted: April 18, 2013, 2:39 am 

"vertical tube bender?" What the hell is that? Got a picture?

Because I couldn't find some thing that really worked and was also affordable, I did the obvious, which is absolutely nothing. Now, you're going to think I'm being smart when I point you to this YouTube video, but I'm not. What this fellow did is not a true solution for our fabricating needs, but it is so simple (and pretty darned effective) that I wondered if I could find some ready made items that would allow adaptation to something a little more capable. I just haven't found time to do the research yet.

To wit:

Super simple, super cheap tube bender ==> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjybH5jJqTY

Cheers,[/quote]

It's a bender that bends a tube on a vertical plane as opposed to a horizontal plane. Many benders....Protools, JD2, etc, operate on a horizontal plane. When these are operated manually they are required to be bolted down. Makes it very impractical if you have to bend a 20 ft. stick and have a small shop. Much nicer to have portable bender that you can operate anywhere. Probender makes some but their prices are not where they should be. They also lack features that I feel are important.

PostPosted: July 5, 2013, 2:25 pm 

From my buddies on the samba VW forum...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... er&start=0

Read the comments from 'joescoolcustoms', and 'WilliamA' - Joe & William have both built many chassis/rollcages using the cheapo HF pipe bender with mods.

bryan/a.k.a. > 'didget69' on the Samba

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next