LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: August 16, 2013, 5:42 pm 

I have noticed that there are a good number of complete, set up race locosts in the UK forums and on Piston heads much cheaper than l've seen available in the US.

Has anyone looked into buying in Europe and shipping one over?

Steve

PostPosted: August 16, 2013, 6:16 pm 

Being from England I don't think it would be worth it. Shipping will probably run a few thousand dollars then you have to pay import tax and get it through customs etc, I think it would be more hassle then it is worth.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: August 16, 2013, 6:27 pm 

Ocean container from UK to East coast or Gulf port is $1800-$2500 depending on which location you pick.

Bringing over a race car is easier than a road use car, but you'll still have some import taxes and customs fees. Not sure how much that will run.

There's a guy here in Charleston, SC that brings over a couple of containers of "classic" Minis each month. I could reach out for info if you get serious about doing it. He'd probably sell you a spot in a container and help with the paperwork for a modest percentage.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 1:19 pm 

Thank you
unfortunately I am just dreaming/researching options right now

PostPosted: August 20, 2013, 4:07 pm 

well i have done this!!

first off it's a bitch to get a container, if you go for half a container then you are at the mercy of the exporter and the importer.

if the car nis registered in the U.K. then you have to get permission to permanently remove it from the country.

if it is not registered then you do not so make sure it has no frame number that is logged in with the DMV in Swansey. i am not saying it can't have a number.

get a freight forwarder to put it in a container at the port or a container base, usually located in a city, a whole container or a part of a container, just deliver it to them and they will do the rest.

when it arrives in the U.S now your problems start, any frieght forwarder can grab your container and hold it hostage, they will contact you when it arrives at their depot and make up some ludicrous fees before they will release it to you esspecially if it is only part of a container.

if however you can get roll on roll off, you may be able to save a fortune, drive it to a prearranged port like folkstone and they will ship it and give you a bill of laiden, when it arrives the shipper or the port manager will contact you, go to the customs shed and clear it with them then pick it up and go.

the key to this is who has the bill of laiden because that is the proof that the item you have shipped is yours, who ever has it has the right to the property.

you can have the bill of laiden sent with the cargo and the port manager will contact you when it arrives.

beware of frieght forwarders!!!!!!! if they have the bill of laiden, then the cargo is theirs and they can and will hold it to ransom!!!!!! they may tell you the cost to release it but when you arrive they can charge you anything they like in cash no checks no credit cars no money orders just cash or you can't have it, simple as that.

if you live away from the coast and rent a container then you can have it shipped to your door, this is not as expencive as you might think, if the container is opened at the port, be it a whole container or part, then there is a standard charge to empty it, wether it is one car or full of ping pong balls, if you have it sent to your house then you do not have to pay this part of the fees but you must aggree to this befor it leaves England and demand that the bill of laiden is sent to you at your home address where it will be delivered.

be prepared to be ripped off, freight forwarding charges will probably equal or be more than the actual cost of shipping if you don't watch out!!!!!

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: August 21, 2013, 11:26 am 

God that sounds like a real cluster phuk!
Sounds like organized crime to me!

John did your car turn out to be a good deal in the end?
On the surface it looks good, there are so many 750mc race cars available for so cheap.

Steve

PostPosted: August 21, 2013, 12:42 pm 

What if you had the UK seller break it down into more basic pieces and imported "parts" like a chassis, engine, transmission, wheels and so on? Beside the aforementioned problems with freight forwarders that would remain, would that make it cheaper in terms of customs fees, taxes, etc.?

Just wondering?

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 21, 2013, 11:38 pm 

Have the vendor crate the car and then have DHL transport it as an LCL shipment. LCL = less than container load. The freight costs will be quoted up front by DHL and the operation work a little differently than the CL (container load) system than John was talking about, it works more like a domestic truck LTL shipment (LTL = less than truckload). Service can be slower than CL service times as DHL accumulates LCL shipments until they have enough to load up a full container but for something the size of a locost the costs shouldn't be bad, certainly better than buying the whole container. I've shipped manufacturing equipment in big crates of similar size from India, Singapore, Hong Kong, England, Italy and Brazil using this method and always without problem. I've also shipped stuff from Canada to Egypt, all of Europe, all of Central and South America, Australia and most points in south east Asia successfully using this service.

Yes, a locost in a crate would be big but not abnormal in the freight world.

One caveat...the shipper must crate the item correctly to protect it from damage during freighting. I have had one machine damaged because the guy that crated it didn't secure it correctly in the crate and made the crate too small, no internal clearance.

Use DHL to do your Customs work too...you might find a lower cost Customs broker but I've always found the slight extra cost with DHL makes the shipment move smoothly when DHL is handling the whole movement. Phone your local office for a quote.

Disclaimer - I do not work for DHL but I do own a DHL polo shirt. Some of the other international freight companies could do the job too, like Keuhne & Nagel, Panalpina or even UPS's big freight division, but I've always had good luck with DHL.

Bill

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 9:27 am 

I move things using our work network of suppliers. I call our shipping manager, he talks to a couple of movers and gives me a quote.

Parcel moves and I hand him a check with the BoL number on it.

The TETANUS project came across the country for CHEEEEEEP and delivered onto the loading dock at work

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: August 22, 2013, 1:22 pm 

Bill is correct, if you do it his way, then you can do it door to door and you will know the cost when you start.

customs clearence is not difficult at all to do yourself but you still have to go to the port of entry, if you can proove that you owned it before it was exported, as in it's yours and has been for some time, then i doubt if any duty is payable.

as far as breaking it down, you are relying on someone doing a good job of the teardown and packaging.

was it worth it well it was a 1 ton ford pickup and it was full of all my tools so yes but for a locost that you could build here, i doubt it, i think for a locost racecar, with a carbed engine and no lighting equipment you could build it for the cost of importation alone.

but we in it shall be remembered.