LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 15, 2013, 11:28 am 

Finally got some time to edit some of the video footage that I took at Curborough during this year's Annual Mog'ers Meet and thought you boy's might enjoy this little clip of the Aston Martin DBR1 inspired MEV Replicar, hope you enjoy :)

Please leave a comment and/our give us a thumbs up on Youtube if you think its worthy.

nigel

PostPosted: September 15, 2013, 1:32 pm 

sonic7 wrote:
Finally got some time to edit some of the video footage that I took at Curborough during this year's Annual Mog'ers Meet and thought you boy's might enjoy this little clip of the Aston Martin DBR1 inspired MEV Replicar, hope you enjoy :)

Bit disappointed to be honest, was rather looking forward to it too (relative to the real thing), looked great in the build pictures but it's lost something, maybe the smaller wheels or something.

Was there a legal reason or something that MEV didn't do a full sized replica?

PostPosted: September 15, 2013, 1:42 pm 

Comparing the two side by side, the original has much nicer stance IMO. The seating is lower, the car rides lower and the door/sill drops down much more. It is clear that the MEV is an DBR1 inspired car, but looses a fair amount of the character in the implementation. It could have been cloned a bit better (not by me, though) Still, all in all, a nice kit.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 15, 2013, 2:17 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Is that the old Sammio body?

I'd heard someone got it and was going to clean it up some.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Last edited by carguy123 on September 15, 2013, 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: September 15, 2013, 4:17 pm 

good looking car 8)

but what`s up with that seat :roll: ...

the large amount of flex/movement would drive me crazy :ack:

PostPosted: September 15, 2013, 8:06 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I think it is a great effort and trying to make a miata sized car look like a DB1R. The views I've seen straight-on from the front are beautiful, but I'd like to make some suggestions for future models. Raise the nose and tail lights, as well as extend the rear a bit more. Also raise the arches and flatten the tops. The front of the rear arches would share the door seam or the doors would be a bit shorter. Raising the nose will allow a more horizontal line to the bonnet, more like a DB1R.

Is Stuart a big fellow? He seems to be sticking out a lot. Anyway to lower the seat?

It also be nice to raise the head fairing on the rear deck to where it can be used.

Moving the front suspension forward 300mm would make it more like a DB1R or a XKE, giving the body designer more freedom to have a similar shape.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 9:09 am 

Well I'm convinced the small rear wheels and arches are what lets it down most so i photochopped it to see and makes a big difference with bigger wheels and arches IMO ...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 11:37 am 

Here are 2 snapshots from those posted videos of both cars in "about" the same angle view. Compare the sill lines relative to the center of the wheels. And the shoulder of the drivers compared to the top of the rear wheel. The MEV body looks like it is on stilts. Top of the wheel wells on the DBR are slightly flatented and not on the MEV.To be convincing and appealing,the MEV Replicar needs a bit more refinement IMO. Not bad for a first pass though.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 12:11 pm 

Wow, that is one unflattering comparison. You won't see those pictures side-by-side on any marketing literature.

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 1:29 pm 

nick47 wrote:
Wow, that is one unflattering comparison. .

I think bigger arches and bigger wheels will help though ... it's painfully high off the ground too.

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 1:34 pm 

Hmm, let me lower that a bit ..

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 4:12 pm 

cheapracer wrote:
Hmm, let me lower that a bit ..

Nope. Still ugly...

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 4:30 pm 

To me this just digs into one of the major problems with the whole replica thing. If the replica isn't an almost perfect copy, the errors tend to really stand out. I suspect it's because the reality of the replica is conflicting the with mental image of the "perfect" original in our memory. I suspect that's why cars like the Fisher Fury don't receive this kind of backlash; there's no pre-existing expectations to be met.

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 4:39 pm 

Maybe if Suart could just scrunch down a little in the car. I don't think the car is ugly, but the rear three-quarter view looks a lot better in the wide angle photo than it does in a normal shot. Or probably in person.

PostPosted: September 16, 2013, 5:22 pm 

erioshi wrote:
To me this just digs into one of the major problems with the whole replica thing. If the replica isn't an almost perfect copy, the errors tend to really stand out. I suspect it's because the reality of the replica is conflicting the with mental image of the "perfect" original in our memory. I suspect that's why cars like the Fisher Fury don't receive this kind of backlash; there's no pre-existing expectations to be met.

I don't know. I've seen a lot of high quality replicas that would fool 99% of the general public, including us "car guys". Albeit most cost quite the pretty penny, although usually a fraction of the original being copied. That said, this Aston just bugs me. If you're gonna try and replicate arguably one of the top 5 loveliest cars of all time, you'd damn well better get it right. The rear end looks more like the low-drag C-type Jag than a DBR1...