LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: October 21, 2013, 11:16 am 

Hey everyone! A while back I was thinking about building a middy and decided it wasn't time for that just yet, so I did some more research and bought an SR20DE out of a 97 Nissan Silvia Q's from Japan in hopes of building a book chassis to put it in! I actually started on this project in my free time before and after work about a month ad a half ago. I at first didn't have anywhere to build it since I live in an apartment complex without power to the garages, so I am now building it in a storage unit with electricity but no heat (those South Dakota winters are going to be cold!).

In any case my basic plans for this are as follows...
1. First and foremost, ROAD LEGAL!
2. Enough power to do most sorts of racing if I want such as Autox or road racing.
3. Stiff enough suspension for such racing but soft enough for the inevitable long distance trips I will take.
4. basically just a car to have some fun with.

So Far all I've done is the engine bay and the passenger area, and soon I'll be working on the rear end. All my running gear came from my last project car, a 2002 Subaru WRX so I will be converting all the knuckles to a double wishbone style with adapters I'll be making that will bolt onto the knuckles but still allow for camber adjustment via the stock camber bolts.

Last edited by CodySimonson on December 24, 2023, 11:44 am, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: October 21, 2013, 11:35 am 

Build Table!

Chassis with engine

Chassis as it sits at about 10/15/13

PostPosted: October 21, 2013, 11:45 am 

Last Saturday i headed to a local auto recycler, aka junkyard, and picked up a bunch of odds and ends. The main thing I picked up though were some bmw 740IL ignition coils for a coil on plug setup. I've had to grind down the one to make it fit between the valve cover valley but it fits nicely after I trimmed the heatsink and did some modifying for the seal to the valve cover to ensure nothing gets into the spark plug holes.

PostPosted: October 21, 2013, 1:01 pm 

Glad to see another Nissan powered build, albeit (much) farther along than my own.

Good luck! :cheers:

PostPosted: October 21, 2013, 6:17 pm 

Nice engine choice! Watching with extreme interest...! And welcome! :cheers:

PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 8:57 am 

Thanks guys!

I may have just traded my S14 Sr20DE for an S13 SR20DET though. I figured, hey I want a bit more power, he wants higher CR and vct. no one loses anything. plus it will save me about $600+ since the s14 intake would've had to been modified to make fit anyways.

Next plan of attack is buying seals for the front and rear mains, and buying a head gasket and stock head bolts since the car won't be seeing anything over stock boost and I need to get the stuff anyway. The car it was in is a hobby drift car of a buddies that was making about 420 hp and he just blew the head gasket so I figure I'll just slap stock stuff all back in and buy a turbo from enjuku racing for280 and call it a day with the engine.

Quick question for everyone though, does anyone know the edge radius on the kinetic nosecone by chance? I'm thinking of making a plywood frame for the scuttle and back edge of the nosecose to figure what will have to be modified to work with this tall engine.

PostPosted: October 22, 2013, 9:27 am 

nice project starting! if you want to see more pictures of the same engine build.. look here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9de92c3d16

PostPosted: October 24, 2013, 11:45 pm 

bobbeysr27 wrote:
nice project starting! if you want to see more pictures of the same engine build.. look here https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 9de92c3d16

Hey there, looks good! I shot you a pm if you could take a look and pm me back.

PostPosted: November 11, 2013, 1:57 am 

Well guys, been a while. Kinda been working on getting all the crap outta my sinus since i had nasal surgery. I designed, redesigned and redesigned the rear end of the car like 3 times now since I'll be using full wrx irs. The crappy part about that is that if you look at my design for the suspension, it shows the a-arms are higher up in the chassis, leaving me less room for a gas tank or any sort of extra room for luggage but to get the roll center I wanted I had to settle for doing this.

So far I think I'm going to have the gas tank wedged between the back of the differential support and the back body line/skin. Its not best for weight but I'm not too worried about it as I'm more worried about luggage space since I want to do a couple long trips in this car. Next week the plan is to buy a scuttle and mock up a fake nose cone to see what I need to do to fit the engine under the hood. :BH:

PostPosted: January 23, 2014, 7:22 pm 

Its been a little while since I updated this. Switched jobs and am on a deployment currently for the next couple days. I'm planning on buying rod ends and dom tubing for the suspension soon, as well as building the rest of the chassis.

Once I get done the plan of attack is to finish the transmission mount, and the rearward rear differential mount and align those to get the correct angle for the driveshaft. Once that is done I'm planning on building the driveshaft tunnel and making a channel to hold wiring and brake and fuel lines above the "normal" driveshaft tunnel. After that it will be all suspension until I get the scuttle and nosecone.

PostPosted: January 28, 2018, 7:45 pm 

Well things have changed quite drastically since I've posted in here.

Still planning on building a donkervoort-ish car however now I'm using an SR20DET and a ford 9" IRS rear differential. I know it's overkill but I don't care.
I was planning on running bellcranks with r6 shocks but decided against it after figuring out it'd be a pain in the ass to design bellcranks that would take the 550 lbs/in down to 156 lbs/in. So instead I'm going to be using QA1 coilovers from speedway.
I'm also getting rid of my book frame and building a more Donkervoort sized frame. Don't ask specifics on sizing because I don't know off the top of my head without measuring my model in solidworks. So if anyone wants a book sized frame and is near South Dakota, shoot me a message, it's setup for IRS currently but that's easy to change. I will probably let it go for near free.

PostPosted: January 29, 2018, 12:14 pm 

Well, at least the dream didn't die, Cody!

I'm not sure if the Ford/Lincoln IRS units folks have been gravitating to are 9" or not, but they seem to be pretty adaptable, and also plentiful, for what that's worth. The Lincoln aluminum one might be particularly attractive for a lightweight Locost.

Is you new Solidworks model far enough along to post a screenshot of it?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 29, 2018, 9:16 pm 

Glad to see you still at it! Good luck!! :cheers:

PostPosted: July 8, 2018, 8:51 pm 

Well I've been slowly working on modeling some things on the car. Between house projects and switching obs though I surprisingly want to work on it more (go figure).

This is the frame with a superimposed picture of a Donkervoort down the center of the chassis. The front wheels will be moved back a bit still. Seat is a Kirkey Pro Drag, and the mannequin is 5'6" tall. Which is just my height. I know the mannequins feet are below the frame, I need to move some limbs around.

Last edited by CodySimonson on July 8, 2018, 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: July 8, 2018, 8:54 pm 

Here is the beginning of my pedal box. Designing it to be either hung or sat on the floor.

The blue circles are the width of the style of shoes that I'll be using most likely when driving the car, the dashed circle on the right is for figure out if heel toe downshifting will be easy or not :D
The rounded pieces in the middle of the blue circles are supposed to be roughly the size of my pedals which I got off of a 02 Subaru WRX. I'm figuring 6:1 pedal ratio for the brake a clutch master cylinders and have done the math to make sure this should work sufficiently.