LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 9:53 am 
Louisville's luckEseven Lauds Locosts

Hello everyone. Longtime lurker, random poster, and big-time Locost fan that has caught the bug (and some of the budget). Feel free and follow my website link for a brief description of myself and my career. I have been thinking about this for a long time and have changed my mind many times before coming to my final decision on the car's specification. At one point I had myself talked into buying a kit from Coveland, but then I decided for the price I would pay to buy the frame, I could afford all of the tools (including a nice welder), materials, etc. and feel better in the end about my accomplishment and be able to make it how I want it. So I decided to start from nothing...

So I have compiled pretty much most of the tools, most of the materials to build the frame, and some of the donor parts. I came upon a great bargain from a friend and bought a freshly built, ported 13B S4 motor, trans, and clutch type LSD, along with driveshaft, halfshafts, uprights, rotors, rear calipers (need to find some fronts), starter, and some other misc stuff. I think it was a bargain at $800, considering I would've paid more than that for a complete donor car with a questionable motor, and would've had to strip the donor and dispose of it, and really not used much else off of it. So I'm confident I got a good deal, heck, the rebuild and porting on the engine alone would've been that much, with the new Mazdaspeed hard and soft seals that it has.

I plan on going simple with the engine management. With my racing experience and contacts, I have come up with a Star Mazda intake manifold, Weber carb, old-school style distributor, and should be able to make 220+HP depending upon how aggressive I am with the jetting(read:how bad my MPG's will be). We make about 200 WHP with our race cars with stock internals and stock porting motors, and this motor should flow a LOT more! And there's no RPM restriction like with the race cars... sweet.

I have to thank a few people for their great websites that I have learned SO much from. Keith's book and site, great work! Bill and FM's Westfield build. McSorely, thank you SO much for the effort you put into the book frame drawings. Jeff and his project seven, easily the nicest, most well thought-out locost I've seen (is that even proper grammar?). Chris and his BEC locost, sweet car, dude.

Ok, enough babbling, onto the progress pics. Bear in mind I am only a few days into this, but I've got a small portion of the frame going. I'd love to hear feedback, guys. Thanks for a great forum.

http://picasaweb.google.com/erturbo

edit: In response to Kimini- am well aware of this issue, among others with using a rotary (EGT's, Cooling capacity, fuel economy, oil injection, etc. etc.). We have been racing rotary-powered formula cars for years, and going to tracks like Laguna Seca and Sears Point, sound is something I have a lot of experience with. The other issue you didn't mention is EGT's. They are some of the hottest around, even compared to turbos. So the muffler/exhaust system also have to withstand extremely high temps. So things like cherry bombs and other mufflers packed with fiberglass or even mild steel wool just disinegrate quickly. That's why I plan on using a type of muffler with all internal SS baffles, not packing. Probably two of them. Supertrapps are a great way of cutting down sound, but they are ugly and rattle a lot, IMHO. I like the way Caterham does it, running the exhaust down the side, then turning back under and exiting out the back. This may be what I need to do, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it. For now the plan is to use 2 of those mufflers I was talking about (which will fit down the side) and give a pair of ear plugs to the passenger... Hehehe...[/url]

edit: Okay, I've been busy the past few days, check the website for more progress!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

*Make way for the luckEseven!

Last edited by erturbo on September 5, 2007, 9:39 am, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 12:02 pm 

looks good so far...nice engine/welder/weld cart :]

couldn't find the info about you however!

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 4:35 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Welcome aboard...I mised you post the first tme because it wasn't stickied. That is fixed now.
You have been offically stickied.

Looks like you have most of the drive train components and know what you want to build. That sounds like half the battle to me!

Welcome aboard....
I hope you enjoy the journey.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 8:55 pm 

Welcome Emile,

It is good to see you getting started on the project!

Star Mazda Pro Series, huh? I love those cars! :wink:

Project Seven
Instagram: @RexRacer19

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 3, 2007, 10:14 pm 

Very nice! I'm curious about your star mazda carb intake... I am using an S5 6port 13b in my build and also plan on running some webers and am looking for options other than RB. One bit of advice, to be safe I would run a some insulating rubber under your welder gas and use rubber coated chain or wire, all it takes is a really dumb mistake of letting your welder lay an unintentional bead on your tank to make for a very very bad day. Highly unlikely but better safe than sorry I say. Keep us updated on the build. Oh yeah, and another props to Metal Supermarkets, they are awesome guys with an unbeatable selection and price. 6ft of 1" .095 wall DOM for $20... yeah... awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: May 4, 2007, 9:16 am 
Mid-Engined Maniac

An issue with the rotary is the ear-bleedingly loud exhaust. That can be easily solved with serious muffling - the problem is the lack of space for the muffler(s). You may have to run the exhaust back under, to behind the rear axle, and have another muffler back there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 7, 2007, 2:36 am 

Hey all!
Quick update. I feel like I haven't done anything on the car in months! I have been in California for almost a month straight building a new race car and working various test days and race weekends. I am currently in Portland, just got finished running the Regional/National races and getting ready to run EIGHT cars in the Star Mazda Series race here on Saturday!! That has to be some sort of record.
I will be back in Louisville to work on the Seven on Monday night, hopefully with a suitcase full of goodies... I'm picking up some Koni double-adjustables and the Weber 48 DCOE dual sidedraft carb for my Star Mazda intake I already have at home. Can't wait to continue melting metal!
Just wanted to let everyone know I hadn't given up, I will be back at it soon. CAN'T WAIT!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18, 2007, 3:08 am 

OK, everyone... I've been working on some rear-end designs and would love to hear your opinions! I've posted some new stuff at the bottom of my "build album" of my photo gallery with captions if you follow the link in my signature. I still need to make a string computer so I can see all of my camber curves, track changes (if any, doubt it) , and most importantly where my roll center moves around.

Any glaring omissions anyone sees? Let me know.

Specifically this picture...

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18, 2007, 10:14 am 

Looking good. Regarding the string computer I've been there and done that and looking back, it was mostly a waste of time. It helps you visualize things to some extent, but as far as finding a good, stable roll center and watching it in roll, bump etc. that DOS "Wishbone" program does a good job and it is a quick free download.

http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1438

Post subject:
PostPosted: June 18, 2007, 10:22 am 

Yeah, I tried downloading it on my PC laptop, but it wouldn't run for some reason. I got an error message, and being a mac guy, don't know where to begin to fix it.
I do, however, have another (even older, win 95!!) laptop I use for tuning my Miata's Haltech software, I may plug that old bugger in and give it a try. I assume it's well worth it, over the string computer. Thanks Chet!

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2007, 11:28 am 

OK guys, I have been busy with rear suspension. Check my website for progress and let me know what you think so far! By the way, I'd love to hear criticisms too! Enjoy.

-Emile

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by erturbo on September 5, 2007, 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: July 28, 2007, 11:52 am 

looking great!

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 11:43 pm 

Okay, I've been busy out in the garage! I'm finally getting to spend some quality time out there, and the heat is starting to let off here in Louisville. Well, under 100 degrees, anyways. Should be in the 80's this weekend, thank god!

Check my website for the complete step-by-step process, but until then here's a sample picture.

As you can see, the engine is in!!! WOO HOO!!!

I still have to make the trans tunnel and mounts, but I feel like I've been pretty productive as of late. Gotta keep this momentum up. I've also ordered a fuel tank (12 gallons!) and a pair of Kirkey Pro Street 16" drag seats, can't wait for them to arrive.

It's amazing how great it makes you feel when you install something that you've made, and it actually fits! I'm sure all of the senior builders laugh at that, but for a noobie to fabrication, it's a great feeling.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks for looking!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 12:59 am 

Looks good. Its coming along very nicely. Great to see a rotary going in. I am a huge fan!

J. R.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 30, 2007, 10:25 am 

...and not just ANY rotary...

This one should be a rocket. It's J-ported, meaning the intake ports are opened up as far as possible, closest thing to a peripherial port with normal housings.

I don't know how long it's gonna last though... I may end up putting in a stock motor when this one goes. It all depends on how many miles I put on it, once it gets going.

But we're a LONG way away from that! BACK TO WORK!

PS- My seats and fuel cell should be arriving today... YEAH!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 111 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next