LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Lotus Europa Restomod
PostPosted: November 16, 2013, 3:15 pm 

I've decided to start a new build log for this project. The body is a 1968 Lotus Europa type 54, so it lacks the pimple front signals, has a single wiper, lacks proper door handles (cut outs behind the door), and has lower headlamps compared to the later "federal" cars. The chassis is going to loosely copy a type 47 chassis, though will be fabricated from 1 1/2" x 1" RHS rather than sheet steel. It will be powered eventually by a Ford Zetec, coupled to a Renault 5 speed gearbox (still have to figure out if I have a 395 or NG3)using a Europa Twin Cam bellhousing. Front suspension will be fabricated but will retain the stock geometry, the rear suspension will loosely copy the type 47 with twin trailing links, reversed lower wishbone and single upper link with fabricated rear uprights. I still haven't decided on what bearings and shafts to use in the uprights, I have a set of Mini hubs, bearings, and shafts that might fit the bill, but I might go with VW Golf bits.

Anyways, here are some shots of the car sitting in the garage:

Almost forgot, before anyone says "why not use the existing chassis?", it photographs better than it looks. The front cross member is bent, and where the rear trailing arms mount the chassis is perforated.

Rod

PostPosted: November 16, 2013, 8:00 pm 

I hope you have the windshield and it's in good condition. That is the most expensive part of a Europa.

PostPosted: November 16, 2013, 8:41 pm 

If some others had posted this I would have been a bit skeptical about the chances of success but given your past examples of well done difficult projects, It'll be an interesting build to follow.

Ron

PostPosted: November 16, 2013, 8:41 pm 

If some others had posted this I would have been a bit skeptical about the chances of success but given your past examples of well done difficult projects, It'll be an interesting build to follow.

Ron

PostPosted: November 16, 2013, 9:16 pm 

PostPosted: November 16, 2013, 9:19 pm 

But seriously. Europas were one on my favorite cars growing up and not sure about the US but would be surprised if you can't get a cheap windscreen custom one off service like we have in Oz.

Of course the JPS is the bees knees, superb coulours for a Europa.

PostPosted: November 17, 2013, 1:05 am 

just stop fixin up that old piece of junk europa and send it to the scrap heap!!!

the scrap heap is located in Diamond creek drive, Meadview, Arizona.

see a guy called English john, he will dispose of it for nothing.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: November 17, 2013, 1:36 am 

cs3tcr,

Some inspiration for you (although I don't like the headlights that they put in it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NvRn1h3ITU

Note the "drive shaft length measuring tool" at 24 minutes. A useful tool that JD should make for himself.

Bill

PostPosted: November 17, 2013, 8:06 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I was curious about the windscreen too. A custom made screen would probably cost more than importing a screen.

We can't see that video in the USA, Bill. :(

PostPosted: November 17, 2013, 12:33 pm 

cs3tcr, nice pick ;-) definitely a car worth rescuing from the pile. so, the europa TC bellhousing is a direct bolt-up with the Zetec?

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: November 17, 2013, 1:03 pm 

Miatav8,MstrASE,A&P,F wrote:
We can't see that video in the USA, Bill.

That's a pity. It's an episode of Chip Foose's Overhaulin' where they completely redo a Europa, frame, suspension, power train and body. Looks like you can get it in pieces here http://velocity.discovery.com/tv-shows/ ... reveal.htm

PostPosted: November 17, 2013, 1:56 pm 

Luckily it did come with a windscreen, though it has some minor delamination in one corner (at this point not too concerned). And I have seen the Foose Europa build, some of the mods were cool, but some were a little over the top. 7up John still hasn't been able to drive the car legally, he posts updates on one of the Europa forums.

robbovius,
Yup, the TC bellhousing bolts right up to the Zetec, but does require removing the alternator boss from the bellhousing. I might have to mod the housing further, once I determine which gearbox I've got. If its the NG3 I'll have to have some machining done to take a bearing for the input shaft.

Rod

PostPosted: November 18, 2013, 5:06 am 

I was curious about the windscreen too. A custom made screen would probably cost more than importing a screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhF3OB5JgqQ episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_-wspOIEn4 episode 2

PostPosted: November 18, 2013, 6:21 am 

944tim wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhF3OB5JgqQ episode 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_-wspOIEn4 episode 2

I have watched both of these vids and learned quite a bit in between the schlock and tv-ism
Tim

PostPosted: November 18, 2013, 11:22 am 

As a Europa owner, I will follow this build closely. I had mine out this weekend. It feels like a plush-mobile compared to the Seven.
Paul
4525R

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 237 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next