LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject: Body Designs
PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 1:22 am 

I've never been too fond of the locost design (please don't take offense - it is a nice design). I would love to make it a full body like a Lemans LMP2 or similiar. But what is everyone's opinion of the Whelen Modified racecar design? http://hometracks.nascar.com/files/imag ... 100211.jpg

Post subject: Re: Body Designs
PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 2:15 am 

Fewski wrote:
But what is everyone's opinion of the Whelen Modified racecar design?

I think I just vomited a little.

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 7:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Hmmm... I guess Cheapracer doesn't like 'em much...

Personally, I like the open-wheel front end and the exposed air filter pokin' up through the hood. The nerf bars in between the front and rear wheels are kinda cool, don't quite see that working well on a street car though. But to me, the point that the Whelen cars fall down on is that roof. It's too tall, out of proportion to the rest of the car. I'm not crazy about the rear wheels/tires protruding out thru the fenders either, but that's easily remedied.

Are you building a track-only toy or a road-going toy? That Whelen look would translate pretty well to a track car. (Duhhh... They ARE track cars...) :mrgreen: Street vehicle? Not so much.

IMHO, of course. :cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 9:54 am 
Toyotaphobe

And you thought the 7 was ugly. Well, there's a girl for everybody.

I too am not the biggest fan of the 7 design, especially the rear end, but it does have it's upsides such as you can build one and make it all on your own without spending a ton of money plus it can keep you out of trouble.

The car is quick, very quick, it's just not fast. That means you can run rings around just about everybody and the car keeps you from going so fast that a wreck is scary &/or super dangerous. It saves you from yourself.

I think the bad aero is actually a plus.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 11:50 pm 

Im with cheap on that one..

PostPosted: July 23, 2014, 1:25 am 

Someone dropped 2/3's of a Europa on top of a 7?!?? :ack:

PostPosted: July 23, 2014, 8:10 pm 

To each his own.

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 10:47 pm 

Would that Whalen be a late model dirt track racer where they have to keep an original roofline or something weird so the can say its a Corvette, like a "super modified"?

PostPosted: July 25, 2014, 5:32 pm 

Well that took a turn.. not even one good comment. lol. I guess in my mind growing up around oval racing, these things are just beasts and guess that's why I liked the design. :lol:

krepus wrote:
Would that Whalen be a late model dirt track racer where they have to keep an original roofline or something weird so the can say its a Corvette, like a "super modified"?

To my knowledge there are no oval cars that are required to keep an original roofline. Most asphalt cars use fiberglass roofs while dirt cars use aluminum roofs, none are stock.

PostPosted: July 25, 2014, 6:20 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
Well that took a turn.. not even one good comment. lol. I guess in my mind growing up around oval racing, these things are just beasts and guess that's why I liked the design. :lol:

I guess when I look at that I'm not sure what it is. I know a little bit about oval track racing but not a lot.It's OK to be a beast of a car but this seems an odd mix. It has open front wheels, so it's an open wheel car that has doors and fenders for some reason? Or it's a stock car and now it's not so stock?

One of the oval track supplier web sites had a picture of a modified type that looked a lot like a locust without fenders and a big wing, that was pretty attractive. It was low enough to have a bit of a formula car look.

PostPosted: July 25, 2014, 11:11 pm 

Fewski wrote:
I've never been too fond of the locost design...
Fair enough, but be warned: on LocostUSA, the majority of contributors here are fond of the locost design.
Fewski wrote:
I would love to make it a full body like a Lemans LMP2 or similiar.
Several folks here are doing just that--hardly anybody likes locosts because they're enamored with Se7en aerodynamics. For the most part, we like them because they are light and nimble and quick and cheap and reminders of simpler times.
Fewski wrote:
Well that took a turn.. not even one good comment. lol.
lol indeed. I think you got lots of good comments, just none that agreed with you. You asked a bunch of locost builders their opinion of the Whelen Modified racecar design, and apparently, those who chose to comment like locosts better. I don't want to chase you away, but surely there are forums for people who do like such things, and if not, you can start beastsofovaltrack.com and create a place to share good comments.

PostPosted: July 26, 2014, 1:25 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
not even one good comment

Oh, I dunno... Nobody threw rocks or mentioned your Mama... :mrgreen:

Quote:
Personally, I like the open-wheel front end and the exposed air filter pokin' up through the hood. The nerf bars in between the front and rear wheels are kinda cool,
See... not all bad...
Quote:
I think I just vomited a little.
I feel sure he meant that in a positive, constructive way... :roll:

The motto of this group is "Build what you like." Just because a few of us think it ain't pretty, that doesn't mean you shouldn't build a Whelen for the street if you want to. Shoot, most of us would even help. Might make smart-a$$ comments, but we'd help.

Any-who... Are you planning a track toy or a drive-on-the-street car? Kinda makes a difference in the body design, doncha know... Aunt Susie ain't gonna like crawling over the nerf bars to get in and ride around Dairy Queen. Build them a little lower and they'll do a good job of catching cones at the local autocross. (Is Aunt Susie gonna climb in thru the window? Just wonderin... :mrgreen: ) Those big ol' rear tires stickin' out of the fenders look bada$$ at the track. Nobody's gonna like 'em much driving home in the rain. It all depends on the car's intended purpose.

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 26, 2014, 4:16 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
The motto of this group is "Build what you like." Just because a few of us think it ain't pretty, that doesn't mean you shouldn't build a Whelen for the street if you want to. Shoot, most of us would even help.
True dat. Also, I truly don't want to chase you away, and if you're going to build it, the folks here are a wonderful resource, and if you get it built, I'm going to want a ride, even if I have to climb through a window.

And despite my claim that "...hardly anybody likes locosts because they're enamored with Se7en aerodynamics"...
carguy123 wrote:
I think the bad aero is actually a plus.
...carguy123 has a valid point, and he explained why very well, and I am living proof that if you streamline one of these locost thingies and fail to modify your hooning habits, you can find yourself facing west while traveling east, and if there's an obstruction behind you (a mountain, in my case), you'll be leaving the scene of the accident on a flatbed.
So you're going to fit right in with the Locost crowd--that Whelen has the bad aero thing workin' overtime. :)

PostPosted: July 26, 2014, 6:23 am 

Build what you LIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!! I spent many a night here in the northeast watching the Modifieds race. At one time I wanted to build a street version myself. It has been done already! How about finding an old Coupe body from the late thirties and gettin' busy! By the way there is an antique racing club that races some of the old ones around here!

PostPosted: July 26, 2014, 11:07 am 

Fewski wrote:
Well that took a turn.. not even one good comment.

Generally the grammar in your posts is very good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next