LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next
PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 12:05 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
. . .

http://youtu.be/Pa2ChI8EMJY

Not sure if you've seen this video or not, it's from last summer when I had bodywork on it, but still no fenders yet. I have a few more on my laptop that I can upload to YouTube in a few days. I will link to them here when I do.
Kristian

No, I hadn't seen that one, Kristian. Thanks for the URL to it.

Man, it looks fast. It sounds good too. I hope you'll be able to post more later.

Thanks again,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 1:33 am 

Here's one the local tv station did last year. My car is in the second half or so, and the passenger is the reporter. It was the first time he had ever heard of autocross, and I talked him into going for a ride. I was debating whether I should try for a fast run or just try to scare him.

http://youtu.be/Lspw1xUKV7g

Kristian

PostPosted: July 22, 2014, 9:48 am 

The reporter was smiling in that brief shot of his face, so you didn't scare him too much.

Thanks for posting.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 2:14 am 

I went through from the beginning here and re-did the pictures that I could find on my laptop. At least what I could remember of them. I also put a couple more videos on youtube. One from the first autocross after I painted it this year, and a couple from last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K5Cvgi2WbI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-rQtKzwa4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZvCuF9 ... e=youtu.be
Apparently I can't figure out how to embed a video.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 10:13 am 

Thanks for loading those, Kristian.

The first one is obviously the latest one where you have full paint, front fenders, etc. It also looks like you've improved the handling too because the car looks very steady and smooth compared to the first autocross video. Are the improvements due to changes on the car, or do you think it's just more experience with it on the track?

It does look very fast as well. Do you have any idea what speed you attained in the last video where you had a nice run through the gears?

I love the sound. Like most of us in North America, I've grown up with the V8 being king, but after having a few V6 powered vehicles, I've developed a real respect and liking for them.

Thanks again for posting. It's got to be very rewarding having something you've built from scratch turn out so well.

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 10:24 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Kristian-
Like Lonnie said, thanks for the videos! I admit to being a "V8 Guy" but your V6 sounds pretty darn good... Better than F1! I also think your driving skills have improved from first video to last, or I should say, you've gotten acclimated to the car. Very cool, either way.
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 2:42 pm 

Thanks guys. I used to think everything needed a big block, but I have changed my mind a bit about that now. I haven't made any suspension changes to the car at all, so I think the improvement is from me getting used to the car. I did put a new carburetor on it last summer though, I went from a 370 cfm two barrel to a 390 cfm four barrel with vacuum secondaries. It used to have a pretty bad stumble at low revs when getting on the throttle, but the new carb pretty much got rid of that. I had problems with fuel sloshing out of the float bowls with the new Holley on it, so I built a crossover tube for the float bowl vents like they use on the truck avenger carbs and it got better, but I still get splashed in the face with fuel on long hard corners and then a nasty stumble coming out of the corner. I'm thinking maybe there will be some megasquirt action going on in the future. I definitely need some stickier tires too, I spend a lot of time trying not to slide it around instead of putting down some power. It's pretty cool to think that I actually pulled off building a car, puts a smile on my face every time I go in the shop and see it.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 4:40 pm 

Did they time you or was it just to put the car through its paces? I'm wondering how your times compared to the Camaro....

PostPosted: July 24, 2014, 5:18 pm 

Trochu wrote:
Did they time you or was it just to put the car through its paces? I'm wondering how your times compared to the Camaro....

My times were in the 83 to 85 second range and the guy in the Camaro was running about 90 to 95 seconds. I'm not sure how he did as far as penalties for cones knocked over, but most of my runs were clean. There was a new Boss 302 Mustang there as well that did better than the Camaro, down around 89 or 90 seconds. But he was massacring the cones pretty good on some of his runs, not sure if he got any clean ones.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 25, 2014, 8:49 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Thanks for loading those, Kristian.

The first one is obviously the latest one where you have full paint, front fenders, etc. It also looks like you've improved the handling too because the car looks very steady and smooth compared to the first autocross video. Are the improvements due to changes on the car, or do you think it's just more experience with it on the track?

It does look very fast as well. Do you have any idea what speed you attained in the last video where you had a nice run through the gears?

I love the sound. Like most of us in North America, I've grown up with the V8 being king, but after having a few V6 powered vehicles, I've developed a real respect and liking for them.

Thanks again for posting. It's got to be very rewarding having something you've built from scratch turn out so well.

Cheers,

I had to go out to the shop to have a look at my car to see how the speedo compares to the video. When I went through the gears there it would have been pretty close to 100 mph. I'm going to an autocross tomorrow again and will charge up my gopro for some more videos.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 26, 2014, 11:15 pm 

We had an autocross today at the next town over from me, about an hour drive away, so I hauled my car down to have a go. They had set up a sort of figure eight course, and we got two laps of it per run. It was pretty fast, so I bumped my rev limiter up to 6500 to hopefully keep shifting to a minimun, but I still needed third for a couple of the faster parts of the course. I bumped my tire pressures up a bit and got a bit better grip than last time, now I'm running 15 psi in the fronts and 17 psi in the rears. Im pretty sure I was the fastest today, but not by much. One of the local car dealerships dropped off a couple cars for us to beat on like rented mules, which was pretty cool of them. I did a few laps in the Scion FRS and thought it drove pretty nice for a bone stock car. There was also a Civic SI there, but I didn't drive it. Here are a couple videos from today, and another from last month that I found on youtube from another racer. How does everyone embed youtube videos here? I can't figure it out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCVMYBuxdoc
http://youtu.be/luOVPg6Pbho
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MQExeUO ... xA&index=2

Kristian

Last edited by turbo_bird on July 27, 2014, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: July 27, 2014, 10:19 am 

You're having way too much fun up there, Kristian. :D

The new camera point of view from the Dawson Creek video, over your left shoulder as you drive, is great. You get a really good perspective on the race course, the car's path through the cones and can see the front wheels turn in response to your steering inputs.

The third video came up too and I think I recognize the course from an earlier video you posted. There seems to be some kind of YouTube issue with the first video on the list above. Sometimes it says "being processed" and sometimes it shows the second video, the one of Dawson Creek. Huh?

This looks like some kind of database issue on YouTube, not anything to do with your video.

Cheers,

Lonnie

PostPosted: July 27, 2014, 6:35 pm 

It could very well be something I did to make that video not work, so I uploaded it again and now it works. I edited my last post with the new link. I also put up a video of someone driving the Scion that got dropped off for us to beat like a rented mule, that was lots of fun.
In other news, I just talked to the guy that said he could inspect my car, and he might have time for me to bring it by this evening. Hopefully he agrees with the way I read the rulebook and passes it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLKAs0e ... e=youtu.be

Kristian

PostPosted: July 28, 2014, 9:45 am 

Got 'em. Thanks.

Lonnie

PostPosted: August 18, 2014, 3:50 pm 

A I finally got the guy that agreed to inspect my car to have a look at it a couple weeks ago and he said he was going to fill out the paperwork and pass it, but he still hasn't got that finished yet. And now he wants to look at it again just to cover his butt on a couple things. Hopefully he will have time to get the paperwork done before winter, but I'm not holding my breath. I've pretty much given up hope of getting it on the road this year. If he hadn't been dragging his feet on the inspection stuff, I would have had my car insured a couple months ago. It's kind of a piss off when people say they will do something and then it never seems to get done. I guess now I know how my wife feels sometimes.

I went to another autocross last week and was having even worse traction issues. So bad that I was doing the whole course in third to try to keep wheel spin under control and was still spinning everywhere. So I did a little reading (and hopefully enough measuring) and today I ordered some new wheels and tires. I'm going with another set of MRW Ultrastar steel wheels, 13x8 fronts and 13x10 rears and the tires are going to be some Avon slicks, 20x8 front and 20x10 rear in a soft compound. I orders the tires from John Berget after first seeing his name in GonzoRacer's build log. Thanks for mentioning him JD, he was very helpful on the phone. I think that should fix my traction issues once and for all. Hopefully everything arrives before our next big autocross on September 1. Now to find some 20" tall street tires for my 13x7 wheels, but that's probably not going to happen. So far the most streetable tire I've found is the Toyo R888. Good thing I'm not planning to put a ton of miles on this thing.
Kristian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 457 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 31  Next