LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mike's AE86 powered 7
PostPosted: August 12, 2014, 2:01 am 

Good day Gentleman, I've browsing this website for far too long, so I've decided to scratch my "7" itch :) . After debating on what power train to use, the final decision was easy... what ever was Locost. Turns out, there aren't not alot of wrecked Miata's around here (Alberta, Canada) and if there was, they wanted alotta cash. Found my donor (1987 Toyota Corrolla GTS) for a good price, so I'm quite excited about getting started. There's still some research to be done about what rack/spindles to use, don't think these are going to work (Hyundai Pony parts (?!). Anyway, built my build table, it does require some reinforcement, as per Perry (who I'm quite fortunate to have been in contact with), anything he says goes. He also suggested to get my build log started as ASAP. So hopefully this will kick start my build log, got some pictures... hopefully they work. I'll be using my regular camera from now on, these are iPhone specials...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 12, 2014, 2:28 am 

Good looking build table. You might want to put a second shelf below the top so you can store some parts and add some stability to the table. Also think about coasters on the corners so you can easily turn the table or move it around.

See the photo below before casters were added.

Roy

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: August 12, 2014, 3:00 am 

That's a reeeeeally desirable model down here where I live near San Francisco. ..
I'd wager you could make a lot of the purchase cost back selling off the bits and pieces.

PostPosted: August 13, 2014, 12:41 am 

Congrats Mike on starting your build and build log. Looking past your build table what is that I see in the corner? A lathe?

Bunch of great guys on this build forum, you just have to look past the goats, Asian chicks, Parrot heads, and such. In the end it's all good.

Remember why we build these cars.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 13, 2014, 1:51 am 

Excellent engine choice :cheers: I think that there's some advantages size-wise over the Miata. Worked for me anyway.

Don't know if you've read the "Lethal Locost" build. Pretty much everything you need to know about an AE86 build is there. It was a big help to me when I was building mine.

Ron

PostPosted: August 13, 2014, 8:18 am 

Mike
I also used a Corolla GTS for my build. I have a write up, a long read, 20+ pages, on using the AE86 donor, with suggested frame changes to accommodate the drive train, intake modifications, electrical, suspension, and donor seats change to fit the standard locost build. I you would like a copy, send me a PM with your E-mail. Dave W

PostPosted: August 13, 2014, 10:48 am 

Very nice choice on a donor vehicle. Those are plenty sought after down south in the states.

PostPosted: August 18, 2014, 1:34 am 

Thanks for the replys guys, very cool to be part of this website. Perry, ya its an old lathe from Southern Saskatchewan, a good friend of mine's dad used to work there and was looking to get rid of it, so I found it a new home. :)
Made some progress today, my daughter came out and wanted to help, I will never say no to that :D She asked when the car will be done. I look over at my empty build table, and say "oh, it may be a while". Good motivation. Next step is to attack the interior. Never mind my floor paint, or a lack there of...

PostPosted: August 27, 2014, 12:23 am 

Made some more progress this past week. Stripped most of what I need out of the donor. I'm planning on using the book dimensions (the book arrived in the mail this week). Metal ready to go as well, hopefully 130ft will give me a decent start. I suppose I will find out soon enough. :) I'm going to visit Pick-n-pull this weekend and scout out a possible steering rack/uprights setup.

PostPosted: September 2, 2014, 11:14 pm 

Some more parts...

PostPosted: September 2, 2014, 11:28 pm 

I used the same donor so you can check out my build log. I think it is David's homage too skinny G and Colin Chapman. To me it is the perfect donor, light, powerful and fairly common.

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 5:00 pm 

Hi Mike...you're on your way to quite an interesting adventure! Be patient, take your time and have fun! During my build, I spent an inordinate amount of time searching through these forums to determine things like what style & size tires & wheels do I want, how do I mount a seat slider, what's the best fuel cell and on and on. You'll find guys like Jack at Kinetic Vehicles who will help you with important parts like fiberglass fenders, nose and scuttle (unless you're going to build them yourself!) Many of the guys will follow your build and share their thoughts or opinions. Stick with it until it's done and street legal...that may take a while. You're bound to work through some frustrations and difficult days, but trust me...it'll be worth it in the end : - )

Good luck!!
-Gar

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14227

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 8:30 pm 

Hey guys! Thank you so much for the information and words of encouragement!
I checked out your build dfdahl, amazing work & a very nice build. Spent a good hour admiring your work. I'm going to have to find your build as well, thegarman. I'm planning on "book" frame with a few custom ideas stolen from this forum! Have a good one guys, I'm on hold with the build until my wife is ready to "pop" (she's due with our #2 within a week, VERY excited!!).

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 9:55 pm 

Congrats on the soon to be #2 baby!!

PostPosted: September 8, 2014, 1:04 am 

Well, #2 is taking his/her time, so I started stripping down the engine. Ordered all my parts from Rockauto & will wait and see what happens in the next few days...