LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 19, 2024, 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: V8 Ford Haynes.
PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 3:45 pm 

I am currently building two Haynes roadsters with the V8 Ford engines in as a joint project with a friend. The chassis`s are built to book spec with the exception of the tube wall thickness which I have increased to 2mm. I am using the 302 Ford engine with Ali heads ,waterpump ,stacks ,getrag 265 gearbox with a tilton flywheel , reverse starter and custom made bellhousing. The criteria is to get the engine as low and as far back as possible with nothing hanging down under the car. I purchased a rusty old part built chassis to trial build and check clearances a few years ago and am now on the build proper.

Bob

The two chassis made from 25x25x 2mm box.

A sneaky peak with the dummy engine in position.

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

Post subject: Re: V8 Ford Haynes.
PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 5:01 pm 

Wow nice shop!!!! It is about 3 times the size of most British shops I've seen, and it has a lift to boot. Russ

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 5:14 pm 
We are Slotus!

A Ford 302 in a Locost? Preposterous! Who ever heard of such a thing? Really, now!?!?! :mrgreen:
Just kiddin'... I used a 302 in my build. Nice engine, lots of torque and horsepower, narrow block, not too heavy (as cast-iron V8s go).

Those chassis look good! Nice work. And, like Russ said, that is one big shop building! Looks like a GI quonset hut...

Good luck with your builds, and keep the pictures coming!
:cheers:
JD Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 5:27 pm 

The mancave :) I had to liberated a bit of space just for the toys because nothing was happening to them , the main workshops always had something more pressing to do. I have also built a small machine shop with a mill , lathe , pillar drill and cut off saw. I will post up some pics later.

The mancave.
http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

Bob

PostPosted: August 20, 2014, 10:50 pm 

Terrific, now that I have adjusted to having a V6 in my Haynes, someone has to go and throw some more temptation my way again. :roll:
And to make it worse I now have a 302 sitting in the corner of my garage.

Look forward to your build. 8)

Al

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 12:40 am 

Welcome Bob. The 302 fits in there pretty good you'll find, likely better with the Getrag, as quite a few of us have put a bit of a kink in that top bar, you may not have too.

Al, I think its time you started another build log.....

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 3:21 am 

Practice grinning now, it will help you from getting cramps when driving the finished build. The 5.0L (302 in my day) was built for a Super 7 IMHO.
Looking forward to enjoying following your build.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 4:22 am 

horchoha wrote:
Practice grinning now, it will help you from getting cramps when driving the finished build. The 5.0L (302 in my day) was built for a Super 7 IMHO.
Looking forward to enjoying following your build.

Thanks for all the support, the UK lot think I am nuts :) Below is a few shots of the rusty old mule chassis I purchased for £50 prior to committing to the project, I have since given the mule chassis to a guy that is trying to shoehorn a BMW v8 into it. Criteria was to keep the standard width,height and length. The 302 fits a treat with only a few minor engineering challenges. The custom bellhousing I am making is the key because without this it would have to go way higher and be pulled forward which is not what I wanted.

Bob

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... %20testrig

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 9:07 am 
The voice of reason

Welcome Bob. You can be our uncle, we can always use another. :)

Is this motor noticeably larger than the Rover unit? I know there was discussion on an engine forum recently about putting the Ford crankshafts into the Rover engine, they have nearly identical bore spacing.

I'm very interested in your bell housing ideas. I wanted this for the car I am building, but while designing my frame it just seemed too much to take that on too.

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 10:12 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Thanks for all the support, the UK lot think I am nuts

There was a British guy at our autocross on Sunday, in a Locost. His had a Toyota 4-cylinder. (Nice car, too!)
He looked at the V8 in my car and said, "You really ARE a lunatic, aren't you?" I thanked him... :mrgreen:
:cheers:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 10:43 am 

horizenjob wrote:

Is this motor noticeably larger than the Rover unit? I know there was discussion on an engine forum recently about putting the Ford crankshafts into the Rover engine, they have nearly identical bore spacing.

I'm very interested in your bell housing ideas. I wanted this for the car I am building, but while designing my frame it just seemed too much to take that on too.

The 302 ford is not as wide,long or as tall as the Rover , there is also virtually nothing in it weight wise either once the ali heads and water pump are installed. The standard 302 is too long for the car but with the use of the short pump set up and single pulley on the damper it fits no problem.

There is a rover here somewhere so I will put a tape over it.

Uncle Bob :)

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 12:21 pm 

bob wrote:
horizenjob wrote:

The 302 ford is not as wide,long or as tall as the Rover , there is also virtually nothing in it weight wise either once the ali heads and water pump are installed. The standard 302 is too long for the car but with the use of the short pump set up and single pulley on the damper it fits no problem.

There is a rover here somewhere so I will put a tape over it.

Uncle Bob :)

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't the Rover V8 originally a licenced version of the Buick 215? I believe its the same engine that's in the triumph TR8. I've seen that engine and its noticably bigger than a small-block Ford.

EDIT: the Buick 215/Rover 3.5 are pretty much the same engine going by the wikipedia entry I found.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

Last edited by robbovius on August 21, 2014, 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 12:28 pm 
The voice of reason

Yes, we shouldn't blame on the size on the Rover folk...
I think the 302 probably is about the smallest motor you can fit in our cars. The smaller flywheel Bob is suing and choosing a short intake might get you well under the height of a modern 4 with it's overhead cams...

PostPosted: August 21, 2014, 10:40 pm 

Bob, Hope you won't find me "cheeky"- saw your shop, and had a couple of Questions; what are the dimensions of it, and how long and how deep into your pocket did that dynamite mancave take you? I really do want to "do this thing", but life and location have kept me planning and :lurking: for three or four years. Also, I really like the premise of a 5.0/7- short fuse, big boom, enough tork to afford any rear end (Lincoln IRS or Mustang Salisbury), many other Ford factory parts and tons of after market support. I plan to eat plenty pop corn here! Chris

PostPosted: August 22, 2014, 4:37 am 

mysmallwheels wrote:
Bob, Hope you won't find me "cheeky"- saw your shop, and had a couple of Questions; what are the dimensions of it, and how long and how deep into your pocket did that dynamite mancave take you? I really do want to "do this thing", but life and location have kept me planning and :lurking: for three or four years. Also, I really like the premise of a 5.0/7- short fuse, big boom, enough tork to afford any rear end (Lincoln IRS or Mustang Salisbury), many other Ford factory parts and tons of after market support. I plan to eat plenty pop corn here! Chris

Chris you would have been proud of me because its been built in true locost ways :) Its about 30`x45` with another small area where the mill and lathe is ,outside is a couple of 40` shipping containers full of useful manthings . :thmbsup: The white liner in the workshop are offcuts from a commercial truck bodybuilder and all those Lista cupboards which cost a fortune new came from an auction where no one else bid, I got the lot for less than $300. The worktops are ply with offcuts of heavy duty lino stuck down. The Stuska engine dyno came from the states but I have yet to plumb in the waterworks and commission it. Yes it was a lot of work but its nothing special really and I never broke the bank doing it. Whats more important is its well lit and insulated. These type of sheds can be a an oven in the summer and very cold in the winter but with all the insulation behind the liner its good all year .

Bob

Last edited by bob on August 22, 2014, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.