LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently May 12, 2024, 11:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 1:21 pm 

in july my friend gave me a 93 honda civic dx (d15b7 engine) so i decided to have some fun and learn a few things in the process. i really appreciate seeing all the random crap people put together on sites like this, so here you go you creepo car-fiends. feast your eyes on this shitty piece of crap that kinda looks like an At-om! frame is about 50%. it's all 16ga 1020. fused using flux core 71ksi. basically the stock civic front setup moved to the rear into a box. i'm using moto shocks because i have an abundance of them laying around (used to race 250ss)

i have to keep it sealed when not welding due to building it outside in the elements.

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 5:47 pm 

Nice progress. Your rear wheel looks like it has a tonne of +ve camber and toe in. DO you have the adjust-ability to correct that or is it just not mounted correctly yet. Also the seat section looks a little odd, maybe too low not sure but does not look correct.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 6:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I see you've just learned about our reverse order posting of pictures.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 6:10 pm 

no toe bars in the rear yet, and the stock civic UCAs and mounts that i'm using will be rebuilt in a few weeks once the new heim joints arrive. you're right the camber is terrible with the mounts and uca where they are (stock ucas on the civic are non-adjustable except by spacing) so right now the rears are just kinda sitting there... you can grab them and turn them but they support the weight of the rear. uca and toe bar will be adjustable. right now i'm using very basic non-adjustable moto shocks from a ninja 250, but once i get further along i will be switching to gsxr-600 3 way adjustable shocks with adjustable ride height on the pushrods. the shocks will be mounted inboard like the At-om, but slightly different to more easily allow a small sway bar to be mounted since the civic front end has no mechanical lean resistance (like a fancy 45 degree trailing arm rear susp)

front end is using miata spindles and a modified (shortened) civic steering rack (converted to manual). also waiting on heim joints on that front. i made a measuring error when i shortened the rack however, and it will need to be re-shortened about another 2 inches. still working out my uca/lca lengths and mounting points as i'm still trying to get a better grasp on what my weight will end up being (looking like around 1100ish dry) along with my CG so i know how badly it will be trying to roll...

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 6:21 pm 

the bottom of the seat floors are actually at the same height as the bottom of the oil pan. right now the entire car is sitting an inch or two too low (due to how i temporarily mounted the rear shocks) so once it's standing up right, there should be roughly 5 inches of clearance under the seat floor (minus thickness of the fiberglass floor) the suspension travel is about 3.5 inches. so on flat ground bottomed out we're looking at around maybe 1+ish inch of clearance. it will be mostly a track and AX vehicle so i'm hoping it just won't be an issue. but several people have commented that the seat section is too low. we will see if i need to raise it. what clearance do you guys have in the bottom center?

PostPosted: September 3, 2014, 7:59 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:
Nice progress. Your rear wheel looks like it has a tonne of +ve camber and toe in. DO you have the adjust-ability to correct that or is it just not mounted correctly yet. .

Betcha fitty he's gonna add an adjustable toe-link that attaches to the steering arm on the former front spindle moved to the back.

amirite? ;-)

wait top picture at the back, yes!

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: September 4, 2014, 8:15 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Funny how we all have the same tools.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: September 4, 2014, 11:27 am 

It looks like those shocks come to about the same height as your shoulders. ... Interesting.
One question though, isn't the Civic a rear steer and the Miata a front steer?

PostPosted: September 4, 2014, 12:00 pm 

oldejack wrote:
isn't the Civic a rear steer and the Miata a front steer?

yes.

PostPosted: September 4, 2014, 7:48 pm 

My car currently sits between 5" and 6" although I plan to lower it to around 3" (or at least have that option). To do this I need to buy shorter springs and I don't know if I need stiffer or softer at the moment so it will be a future mod after a season or two of racing.
Your car may just look low as you have the gap in front where your feet should be. Are you going to add some frame between your but and the steering shaft? I would not want my balls to act as brakes if I went over a curb on an autocross track.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: September 4, 2014, 8:14 pm 

janky wrote:
oldejack wrote:
isn't the Civic a rear steer and the Miata a front steer?

yes.

That's what i thought. ... That'll make this rather interesting :ack:

janky wrote:
front end is using miata spindles and a modified (shortened) civic steering rack (converted to manual).

PostPosted: September 5, 2014, 3:28 am 

the rack has been reversed by simply removing the rod from the pinion and flipping it so it comes out the other side, then the rack is mounted upside down to get rid of the wrong-direction steering. it will be front-steer.

PostPosted: September 5, 2014, 1:21 pm 

Ahhh ok. Truly Locost! :cheers:

PostPosted: September 5, 2014, 3:37 pm 

wrightcomputing wrote:
Are you going to add some frame between your but and the steering shaft? I would not want my balls to act as brakes if I went over a curb on an autocross track.

right now the stock civic seat is just in frame for mock-up. the rear roll cage will be a standard 4-bend 15+75+75+15 with two back runners. there will be a front low-style roll bar over where the steerinng wheel will go. the standard At-om style tinted plexi top with speed humps and HUD-style 3" square "windshields" will go over the top between the front roll bar back to the dash (which will be cut from a piece of red stained birch that i have... yes, a hardwood dash on an exo middy.... just because.) the two seats will be one piece made from reinforced fiberglass with 3 layer multi density foam glued on top and then i will upholster it with boat vinyl. upholstery and fabric working is another of my far-too-many hobbies. these seats will have 6 point harnesses going through them, so there will be a hard support channel at the front of the seat that the nut-belts will go through down to the frame to mount up. i don't think anybody likes having their jibblies jumbled so hopefully it wont be too bad...

PostPosted: September 8, 2014, 4:31 pm