LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: DCMike's V8 Locost
PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 10:32 am 
Toyotaphobe

Is that a hard disc? I'm trying to figure out what it is made out of so that in case I can't find an Avanti I could find a reasonable prostitute.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 12:34 pm 
The voice of reason

Quote:
ompany in PA called Liberty Performance that my engine builder turned me onto. I've heard lots of good things about them and going to give them a run. Aluminum heads with flow numbers similar to an AFR head.

I looked at what I think is there web site and not sure which heads you would mean. They do deal in AFR units. Be careful with something else especially import knockoffs. Also AFR came out with new heads within the last year or two, so "similar to AFR" might be the older units.

Don't go with too large a head, from what I'm reading people are pushing 600 HP with just the 185 AFR heads, they make 3 sizes larger than that. The Ford heads are economical and decent too. The drag people like to move up from them so you might get a good used set and even new they are a few hundred dollars cheaper ( apiece ) than the AFR units.

I thought I'd be building my engine by now, but looks like a couple more months, so I'm interested in everything you find out.

Someone had an ad for Ford crate engines at $4100 without a carb. That's with a 20,000 mile warranty and 350HP. Hope I didn't already post that in this thread :rofl:

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 1:48 pm 

It's a hard disc, here is the HD link but you can find it numerous places online:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Avanti-Pro-4 ... /202830907

However I don't any online sources for a reasonable "prostitute." :mrgreen:

Sorry i don't have a website for the heads. I work with an engine builder here in Northern Virginia that does alot of Ford performance parts and he suggested them after trying them on a few of his engines. I'll ask him next time I'm by there and get some more info for you as well as get some pictures.

I looked at some crate motors but for right around the same price (about $4700) I took him the block and he cleaned and inspected it. Is machining and building out the entire 331 (minus intake) with custom grind cam and aluminum heads. So if you have a block you may be able to shop around for a engine builder and have someone build to your spec's for around the same money.

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 4:43 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
Don't go with too large a head, from what I'm reading people are pushing 600 HP with just the 185 AFR heads, they make 3 sizes larger than that.

That's not 600hp naturally aspirated, though, right? The 185s outperform the 165s on a stock-displacement 302. The only advantage the 165s have is that you can use stock pistons. People like to simplify and claim that smaller heads will result in in better power down low. That's just not true.

Quote:
The Ford heads are economical and decent too.

AFR heads will easily make 60+hp over ported GT40 heads, arguably Ford's best setup.

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 4:47 pm 

DCMike wrote:
Sorry i don't have a website for the heads. I work with an engine builder here in Northern Virginia that does alot of Ford performance parts and he suggested them after trying them on a few of his engines. I'll ask him next time I'm by there and get some more info for you as well as get some pictures.

Do they have any dyno numbers? I'm assuming at that price point that they're as-cast and not CNC-ported.

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 6:13 pm 

Laminar, I'll get some more info next time I go out there. To be honest I didn't to a TON of research, this guy has built some motors for friends of mine and i generally trust his judgement when he makes suggestions based on seeing some of his results. But I can get some info on them and put them up next time I'm by his shop for you guys.

PostPosted: September 16, 2014, 8:23 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I've replaced the GT40 heads with the AFR 165s before and yes they do make more power and there's a wider power band.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 19, 2014, 2:45 pm 

Material finally made it in. Time to layout some frame pieces this weekend :mrgreen:

PostPosted: September 22, 2014, 8:14 am 

I'm going to try and grab a flat piece of Plywood this week and put it on top of my particleboard piece and then shim it due to the nice bow in the middle of my table right now. Got almost all the pieces cut to size and once I can get the table flat I'll go ahead and tack them up, then on to the next section.

PostPosted: September 30, 2014, 12:55 pm 

People who were curious about the motor built I mis-spoke. So I randomly saw the box at the machine shop but they weren't my heads :BH: The ones he is putting on my motor are the Ford Strike Force heads. Basically it is a Pro Comp head under a different names. Machinist gets them bare, cleans them up and then puts the internals in them. Mine specially weren't flowed but I got some info that they flow 295cfm at 600" and exhaust 185cfm at 600" out of the box stock, so slightly better after some cleanup. They are sizewise comparable for the dimensions of an AFR 185.

Also decided on the custom cam grind of 226/226 with 110LSA and .512" lift with 1.6 rockers which will have a nice sound and a great powerband to complement the Edelbrock RPM II intake. Got to see the SCAT crank and pistons going in while I was there as well, but forgot to take pictures, more to come along with updated pictures of the frame this weekend.

PostPosted: February 7, 2015, 7:07 pm 

Man, time goes by fast! Back in school and having a 1 year old got ahead of the car build this winter, but on the plus side I think I've finally worked out the LA/LB nose issue, got some pieces cut and hopefully welded up here soon, then time to tack to the top tubes and make some new progress, looking to get back in the fold here ricky-tik.

PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 9:08 am 

DCMike,

How well do these Avanti Pro Quick Strip pads hold up? At about $10 a pop I hope one or two would last most of the chassis build. :-)

DCMike wrote:
HA, nice.

This one is just as smooth though.

There is no shame in defeat, so long as the spirit is unconquered

My Build Log

PostPosted: September 11, 2015, 10:27 am 

stuie84 wrote:
How well do these Avanti Pro Quick Strip pads hold up? At about $10 a pop I hope one or two would last most of the chassis build. :-)

I would think it's easily lasted him the year. :rofl:

PostPosted: September 10, 2016, 10:22 pm 

Oh time where did you go, just over two years from my last post and can't say much progress has been made. However I'm back at it, cooler weather and a little more time on my hands with school winding down and it's time to get back in the garage and also back on the forum to see all the great stuff you guys have done in the meantime.

:cheers:

PostPosted: September 11, 2016, 10:26 am 

I use that line of products a lot, Stuie. I use their wire wheels too - wear a full face shield if you use those! They are sold at my local Home Depot.

No, they won't last a year. Depending on what kind of steel you're cleaning up (hot rolled, cold rolled, plate, tube, RHS, rusty, etc.) , they will last a couple of weeks if you're an active fabricator. So, buy 2-3 at a time to keep your work from being interrupted.

3M has a line of similar products, and they last a little longer, but they are more expensive and only available at the marine hardware store in my area. That's another 4-5 mile drive for me and I get lazy and don't do it.

Cheers,

Edit: correct name

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886