LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 11:48 am 

Nice :cheers:

thanx Dave W

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 1:00 pm 

If you find a source for glass windshields for those, pulEEEZE let us know.

PostPosted: November 15, 2014, 1:15 pm 

Jack, I found a company in Italy that produces some parts for this car. Are you sitting down? They quoted 5000 euros for the windshield! I don't know if that's glass or not.

I have used Porsche 550/356 windshields on several different cars. They look good, are DOT legal, inexpensive, readily available and come in 3 heights. Speedster, Convertible, and Coupe. I'm thinking that it will be possible to create a fiberglass flange that would mate with the body and allow the Porsche glass to be used. I think the glass will be the right width.

The car was raced with a low wrap around windscreen in some shots that I've seen. In some states a Polycarb windscreen will pass inspection. Or, I don't think that it would be prohibitively expensive to do a mold of the low screen and have it done in laminated glass.

The windshield is something that I will have to work out.

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 1:45 pm 

I keep coming back to this thread and wish I had "billable hours" for all the time I have spent thinking about it LOL.
I have a few questions.

Have you photoshopped a porsche windshield onto the car? I tried but my skills were slightly below a failure. Many years ago I successfully took three inches off a 74 super beetle windshield for a chop top I did. That might be a way to adjust a windshield to fit the FA.

Have you sat in one to see how the average manly body will fit? I'm 6'2", have invested in a 38" waist and my wife thinks I would have a better chance of fitting in a peddle car

I am curious about engine bay dimensions. I have a 2.0T vw engine and trans but it looks too bulky for that engine bay. Maybe a na ABA. I actually think I would rather have a 100 hp 8valve than the 320 hp motor. Anyways, back to the question of how much room is there.

I think the exhaust note is as important as the look of the car so that rules out the peaky bike motors for me. I'm looking forward to your journey with this car.
Doug

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 2:23 pm 

I can't stop thinking about the build either. I am 6'2" and have a 34 inch inseam. I fit fine in the Crusader which is essentially the same size as the Abarth. I haven't seen one in person so I don't know for sure. But, I think that fitting will be fine.

The person that made the molds tells me that there is room for most drivetrains. He tells me that a V8 will fit. I'm not sure if he meant longitudinally or transversely.

I have used the Porsche glass in several builds. I have a frame that I built for Miata parts that I test fit an old fiberglass body to and placed the glass to see how it looks. Attached is a picture of that.

There have been several of the Abarths that I've found pictures of that have a low windscreen and one that I found that had a fiberglass insert that fit to the stock windshield surround and a short plastic wind screen was attached to. I'm thinking that a fiberglass insert that fit to the stock windshield surround and then to the Porsche glass would be feasible. I see that as easily being removable so depending where it was driven you could switch from a DOT windshield to a windscreen.

The third option is to make a mold for a glass windshield that fit the stock surround and have it custom made. I'm thinking a lower speedster version for this. About 12-14 inches high.

My Beck lister with the Porsche glass (I sold this car some time ago)
ImageImageImage

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 5:56 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Looking at the pic with the raised fiberglass surround and the very short plexi windscreen made me wonder if you found a glass that had the width you needed, but was too tall if you couldn't just recess it behind a bit of a fiberglass berm to give you the look.

You could have recessed windshield wipers or just seal it off with a rubber seal.

I've read that cutting the laminated glass tends to be tricky.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 7:15 pm 

jmc14 wrote:
In some states a Polycarb windscreen will pass inspection.
Here's an Ultima Spyder with Perspex wind deflector. Not a windshield, as it only comes chin high on me. If it were a windshield it would have to be DOT glass. But windshields are optional in this state if you wear proper eye protection. I use Lexan goggles locally and a full face shield helmet on the freeway.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 7:17 pm 

Thanks Tom. Love your cars!!!!

PostPosted: November 16, 2014, 9:02 pm 

jmc14 wrote:
Thanks Tom. Love your cars!!!!
Thanks, the At@m belongs to a friend. We were parked together at an All British car meet when the pic was taken. We've spent some times chasing each other on the back roads, though. :)

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: January 2, 2015, 1:50 am 

Hmmm, Abarth bodies.
I have this spare Alfa Romeo 2000 engine just laying around....

Big question becomes what to do for the transaxle.

Sold my Marcos and was kind of looking for a Devin body, one of these might just work for me as soon as I finish at least one current project.

PostPosted: February 6, 2015, 6:28 pm 

jmc14 wrote:
Well, its been awhile since I've posted anything. I've had 2 recent heart attacks. The last one I almost didn't survive as I had a 100% blockage of a main artery. I had stents inserted as an emergency procedure but am facing heart surgery soon. I am under orders from my wife and my Doc to not do any lifting or work in my shop alone until I have the surgery and am recovered. What a pain.

I am constantly searching the web for old fiberglass car bodies and recently came across a complete set of molds for one of my favorite looking cars of all time. I couldn't pass them up and I purchased them. They are on their way to me as I speak. I'm optimistic about the future and I hope that I get to get back into the shop this winter.

The body is for a 1966 Abarath SP1000. Here are a few pics.

Anybody want to buy a Cobra replica with a dedicated frame, LS6 Corvette engine, Tremec 6speed, and C5 Corvette suspension? I'm going to be putting up for sale.

ImageImage

More info:

http://www.classicdriver.com/en/car/aba ... 966/268601
http://www.carbuildindex.com/37060/surv ... th-1000sp/

And please put me down for a body and frame.

Chris

PostPosted: February 6, 2015, 7:22 pm 

I'm happy to report that I received the green light today to go back into my shop. After a bunch of tests I'm not having surgery at this time. I still have issues and start Cardiac rehab next week but I'm optimistic.

I start working on the molds on Monday and hope to start laying up a body in a couple of weeks.

I have checked and the Porsche 550/356 windshield is the perfect width for the cockpit. It fits just with in the fiberglass surround. I plan to make the windshield removable and use it to pass inspection. Then remove it and run the lower Polycarbonate windscreen with the correct shape. I'm not worried about random stops.

Chris, I have sent you an email. Thanks, John

PostPosted: February 20, 2015, 1:01 pm 

Bad news. I've had a set back and I'm not able to work on the molds right now. I've been dealing with multiple health issues for some time and I'm pretty darn tired of it.

I took the rear clam shell to a friend of mine that is a great body man. He's painted all of my cars. I've hired him to refurbish the molds. This will take some time as he's fitting it with his regular work. I'm hoping to be able to have a body in time to show at the Kit Car show at Carlisle in May.

PostPosted: September 15, 2015, 10:29 am 

In respect to Abarth 1000SP body molds. Is the history of the impressions known? I would sure be interested in a casting if one were available.

PostPosted: September 24, 2015, 12:41 pm 

I sold the molds to a gentleman on the west coast. I know that he plans to offer the bodies for sale. Choate, Berkeley. He can be reached at: berkeley@waltermonk.com.

I was told the molds were pulled from an original car.

I've been laying low trying to get healthier. I had some surgery and am feeling better. I hope to be well enough to get into my shop over the winter and work on a project car. In the mean time I cruise the car forums. I enjoy reading about everyones builds.