LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: December 14, 2014, 6:04 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Now that's a cool Vdub!

I love those fenders/almost running boards

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 14, 2014, 9:09 pm 

That's a little far out but still the idea is there. I went to Harbor Freight today and bought a metal working hammer like the one that Ron Covell used in one of his DVDs. The head looks like a nylon ice cream cone. I'll need to get a sand bag next. I also bolted the English wheel to the wall to steady it. Small steps, the important thing is to keep moving forward.

PostPosted: December 15, 2014, 11:33 am 

Work continues on the seating area mockup. I pulled the Miata donor car tunnel out of the shed along with the cross beam. I plan on having the exhaust run through the tunnel along with the Miata Power Plant Frame so I’ll look at how Mazda did it. If they have it tightly packaged then I’ll keep the tunnel. I probably won’t use the factory cross beam but it hold the steering column in the right spot so I’ll keep it for now.

Attachment:
IMG_0439.JPG

The next picture shows a 2 x 4 laying on top of the engine. The top edge of the wood represents the hood location. It looks good compared to the top of the fender.

Attachment:
IMG_0441.JPG

Can someone tell me how to put a link to my build log in my signature? Obviously I figured it out once since I have a link to my Locost but I’ve forgotten how to do it.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 15, 2014, 1:05 pm 

Quote:
Can someone tell me how to put a link to my build log in my signature?

"<User control Panel>

<Profile>

<Edit Signature>

Enter your data there

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 16, 2014, 10:04 am 

Thanks, the good part about getting old is that I can read a book and if it is good I'll put it on a shelf and read it again in a couple of years and it will be new all over again.

PostPosted: December 16, 2014, 10:18 am 

And you meet so many nice people (over and over again) :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: December 16, 2014, 4:19 pm 

Looks great! You really should capitalize on the new build style you have developed here. You could be the first builder to simply lay everything out on his build table run in some lag bolts and a few drywall screws and simply drive away :rally:

PostPosted: December 17, 2014, 10:07 am 

magu wrote:
Looks great! You really should capitalize on the new build style you have developed here.

Thanks Mr. Magu! The building part will be easy, it's getting the bill of material into SAP that will be the pain.

PostPosted: December 17, 2014, 10:12 am 

I'm copying this link here from another build log so I can find it later. It is for wire loom covers.

http://www.cabletiesandmore.com/WrapAroundSleeving.php

PostPosted: December 20, 2014, 11:33 am 

CAUTION: NON CAR RELATED RANT.

This probably belongs with Rob's HHR story but that seems to have calmed down today so I'd better not start it back up. Also, I have been working on my project but don't really have any picture worthy stuff to show. And it's my build log so I guess I can run it off track if I want.

I used to be a decent runner. Not great but sometimes I had the leaders in sight at the finish which is not half bad. I also have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome which is really ironic because my one and only super power was the ability to run all day. I haven't run at all the past year and haven't seen my pals in the local running club either so I though I'd go shuffle through a one mile fun run just to be part of things again. I filled out the registration form as Rufus T Firefly (some of you might recognize the name of the Marx brothers character in Duck Soup). This is an old joke in the club started by a now departed member about 30 years ago. An old club president once ran the whole Winter Series as Jean Luc Picard (captain of the Enterprise). My son used to run as Ayrton Senna. I handed over my form at the registration table and the lady gave it back and said I had to fill it out correctly or I couldn't run. I was dumbfounded. I have known this lady for 20 years or more and she had to know about the club's tradition. I nearly went home right then but I finally filled out a new form and turned it in. So what if I drop over dead out on course, I signed my correct name on the waiver and there was at least a couple dozen club members there who would know where to drop the body off.

Life is so sanitized now. I'm really surprised that I was allowed to register my Locost because it has no bumpers, air bags or emission controls. I'm so angry I can't even go to the garage.

END OF RANT

And now back to the regularly scheduled build log.

PostPosted: December 21, 2014, 8:40 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
“A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds"
--Ralph Waldo Emerson
I don't understand what's wrong with people like that registrar. Afraid to have fun with their hobby? Just wrong...
Tell her that "Gonzo Wireline" said to kiss his big ol' hairy butt. :evil: Both sides... AND in the middle. :evil:

JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 21, 2014, 3:26 pm 

I did a little bit yesterday. The Miata seats have a locating peg and angled mounts that keep it from sitting flat.

Attachment:
IMG_0443.JPG

I cut off the peg and used channel locks to straighten the mount.

Attachment:
IMG_0442.JPG

I also built a side for the engine compartment from hard board. I will use this to mount the front fenders and support the hood mock up. I'm going to build a real hood with hinges and a hood release. I've gotten tired of taking the hood off and setting it somewhere when I want access to the engine.

Attachment:
IMG_0444.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0446.JPG

I'm still pushing the seats, tunnel and rear subframe around trying to get the locations right.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 24, 2014, 2:50 pm 

I had some free time so I thought it was about time to try out those metal working tools I've been collecting lately. I've been watching youtube videos plus my Ron Covell DVDs so it was about time to jump in. I cut a disk out of scrap aluminum, roughly a foot in diameter.
Attachment:
IMG_0447.JPG

Then I ran the outside edge through the shrinker.
Attachment:
IMG_0448.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_0449.JPG

Next I pounded on it with my Harbor Freight mallet. I don't have a real sand bag yet. I've been reading opinions on what goes inside the bag, sand, steel shot or lead shot. Sand make dust which may or may not be hazardous depending on your opinion. Lead shot sticks together after being pounded on for awhile. Steel shot can rust and stick together. So say the wise ones. Since I don't have the appropriate leather bag but do have a plastic bag of play sand, the choice was simple. I threw a towel over the sand bag and hammered on the aluminum.
Attachment:
IMG_0450.JPG

After that came the English Wheel. It was easier than I thought but then all I was doing was making a bowl.
Attachment:
IMG_0451.JPG

So here it is, an aluminum bowl.
Attachment:
IMG_0452.JPG

Ok, more like a saucer but I made it.

PostPosted: December 27, 2014, 1:32 am 
The voice of reason

Quote:
So here it is, an aluminum bowl.

I'm impressed! That's probably how the guy who makes Weber grills got started.

This will be fun to watch, there is something cool or magic about taking flat metal and making body work form it.

PostPosted: December 27, 2014, 9:25 am 

Next item for you is a bead roller.

Nice looking saucer, very even. You know you've mastered the shrinker and wheel when you set the saucer down and the rim touches the table all around.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 20  Next