LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dont hang me :)
PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 6:09 am 

Ok this has been on my mind for a while, what do you all think of the Hydropneumatic suspension. I was wondering how successful it would be in our home grown creations , the upside is the components are super cheap and available, there are no spring rates to worry about, electronic shock adjusting, would work great on the inboard rocker systems, could use the ride height adjuster for different road conditions and lastly its different. The system could be installed as a bare bones with no pump or other gizmo`s if you wanted. I reckon 4 x the rear set up . I will get my coat and I have left the car running :)

http://www.citroenet.org.uk/miscellaneo ... ics-1.html

Bob

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

Post subject: Re: Dont hang me :)
PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 9:21 am 

Sound very interesting. It would add a layer of complexity, but if anyone can handle it, you can. Although I doubt that the parts would be inexpensive or easily obtainable over here, but even at a similar cost to coil overs, I'd still consider it. Would be awesome to have ride height adjustment on the fly.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 9:48 am 

The old Mini has hydroelastic suspension. It isn't adjustable on the fly, you pump fluid in and pressurize with a Schrader valve.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 10:02 am 

We've discussed it in the past. Can't remember if anyone actually implemented it. If you search for, ummm, let's seeeee, what was that term? Oh yeah, Hydropneumatic :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 11:33 am 

rx7locost wrote:
We've discussed it in the past. Can't remember if anyone actually implemented it. If you search for, ummm, let's seeeee, what was that term? Oh yeah, Hydropneumatic :cheers:

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit RX, its also the only one I know :boxing:

Anyhow rather than just talk about it I have some Hydropneumatic suspension bits that have been hiding under a sheet in the corner of the yard for a few years so it might be time to play :roll:

Here is a snap of the ride height valve, it just clamps to the anti roll bar. it should be quite easy to adjust for set up if you were to go for full monty hydropneumatic.

Struts are quite short and the rears are half this length. The sphere`s just screw into the tops sideways.

The accumulator and distribution gizmo ( I think )

Mancave http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/mypic ... ow/mancave

PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 1:12 pm 

There are two kinds of people in the world, Bob. Those who like French cars and have experienced them, and those people who wouldn't be caught dead in them and think everything French (cars, airplanes, trucks, bridges, houses, etc.) is just plain weird. The latter category is much larger than the first.

I'm in the first category and have had several French cars of various makes. My good friend was President of the French Car Club and I have been able to experience and drive a number of various types I didn't own too. If you look at suspension not from a singular road holding point of view, but one of rider comfort and over-all versatility, the Citroën suspension is absolutely brilliant. Also, the French have the same way with torsion bars. My father even had to admit my lowly Renault R16 rode every bit as well as his Cadillac El Dorado, which was 5 times more expensive than the R16 and probably 10 times more expensive to operate.

I think the I'd go with torsion bars in a Locost or low-buck design only because of their simplicity. You can't do all the things you can do with the Citroën setup, but you can get good road holding and excellent ride.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 1:38 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Lonnie-S wrote:
I think the I'd go with torsion bars in a Locost or low-buck design only because of their simplicity. You can't do all the things you can do with the Citroën setup, but you can get good road holding and excellent ride.

Cheers,

DO IT!

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 1:49 pm 

Back in the mid '70s I autocrossed a stock Beetle in G Stock. A Citroen SM came to one of our autocrosses at the Glen which used the front straight and pit lane, a fairly quick course not your usual parking lot thing. I wasn't too pleased to see him put into G Stock, I mean it has a Maserati engine and all that. I stopped being bothered after the first run as he was last with little hope of getting any faster. I lost all respect for that style suspension after that.

PostPosted: January 21, 2015, 5:12 pm 

Simple weld on: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Mustang-I ... 22799.html but Not locost