LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Lotus 11 Breadvan
PostPosted: March 11, 2015, 10:26 pm 

Now that I have the Kokopelli molds, I'm giving serious thought to the Lotus 11 "Breadvan" concept, for both aerodynemic and practical (a place for the suitcases) reasons.

http://www.sucksqueezebangblow.co/2014/ ... advan.html

With a few mods to the roll bar, I could sleep in it.

(bottom pic on this one)

http://www.sportscardigest.com/goodwood ... -photos/4/

Post subject: Re: Lotus 11 Breadvan
PostPosted: March 11, 2015, 10:38 pm 

Hmmmm, doesn't do a lot for me. So that is more aero than without the top? I always thought a blocked off back created a backdraft? I see that there are a lot of NACA scoops. Maybe that helps. A rear exhaust might be a problem. Russ

PostPosted: March 11, 2015, 10:53 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I've got to say that's about the ugliest car I've ever seen.

But that doesn't mean it couldn't be done so that it would look good, just that version is ugly.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 11, 2015, 11:35 pm 

carguy123 wrote:
I've got to say that's about the ugliest car I've ever seen.
Franky, I'm with you on that--but the regs call for a car of the era "most resembling" the car you want to register, so this car may be our ace in the hole regarding a Kinetic "shooting brake".

PostPosted: March 12, 2015, 7:04 pm 

The top on my S-1 goes all the way to the back of the trunk deck, fastening to snaps on the edge. It forms a kind of parcel shelf that is good for one soft case. Can't see out the back window but hey, it's a Seven.

Tom

My short term memory is absolutely horrible and so is my short term memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG16m2e4O6I

PostPosted: March 13, 2015, 6:49 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:
Now that I have the Kokopelli molds, I'm giving serious thought to the Lotus 11 "Breadvan" concept, for both aerodynemic and practical (a place for the suitcases) reasons.

http://www.sucksqueezebangblow.co/2014/ ... advan.html

With a few mods to the roll bar, I could sleep in it.

(bottom pic on this one)

http://www.sportscardigest.com/goodwood ... -photos/4/

Sorry if I've missed the boat here, but could you give a reference or URL for an image or graphic of what the "Kokopelli molds" will produce, Jack?

Thanks,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 13, 2015, 6:58 pm 

I can't say that it's an attractive vehicle overall, but there are some very interesting elements present in it. The general shape up to the windshield is pretty nice. Mechanically, the bodywork and the way it fits together (doors, top to winshield supports, etc.) looks quite good leaving any issue of aesthetics out of the discussion. It's certainly no uglier than a Formula 1 race car is today, IMHO. Did it perform well for its day?

Cheers,

PostPosted: March 13, 2015, 7:13 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
...could you give a reference or URL for an image or graphic of what the "Kokopelli molds" will produce, Jack?
You bet, Lonnie:
Attachment:
Koko03.jpg

Attachment:
Koko04.jpg

It's a widened Lotus 11 body. I'm still waiting on a few things (CAD files for the aluminum bulkheads and panels) but I have the molds, which are the heavy awkward bits to move from one coast to the other. Here's a pic of the molds:
Attachment:
Koko02.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 14, 2015, 9:08 am 

Excellent, Jack. That could be a good second project for me. Do you have the chassis plans too or just the bodywork/sheet metal designs?

Cheers,

PostPosted: March 14, 2015, 11:44 am 
Toyotaphobe

How close is "close" when you're ready to register?

The idea has merit and could be good looking, it's just the way they did it originally

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 14, 2015, 8:21 pm 

Jack, before everyone gets too excited, any thoughts on a windshield? A split pick-up piece like Lalo?

PostPosted: March 14, 2015, 9:07 pm 

Jack,
There is a slight connection between the breadvan and your molds. I've been lead to believe that Malcolm Linder did the original molds for the Kokopelli, and he's also responsible for the bodywork on the Breadvan replica (the original Breadvan was restored back to a stock Lotus 11).

Rod

PostPosted: March 15, 2015, 3:47 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
Do you have the chassis plans too or just the bodywork/sheet metal designs?
No, no chassis plans--I don't believe there ever were formal chassis plans, the original builder (Tom Rodgers) didn't make many of them and he did each to customer preference. He used MGB subframes front and rear...I wasn't too concerned because I think a chassis redesign is in order.
carguy123 wrote:
How close is "close" when you're ready to register?
In DMV parlance, I see the phrase "most resembles" is the clincher. I've never heard of a Locost failing to "most resemble" a Lotus Seven, and the Kokopelli resembles a Lotus 11 more than a typical Locost resembles a Lotus Seven. If you put a bulge on the bonnet to fit a modern OHC engine (as shown in the dark green Miata-powered example above [and yeah, I have the mold for that too]) I guess it's possible that the gal behind the counter at Vehicle Inspection station will say, "1956 Lotus 11, huh? Looks to me more like a 1958 Lotus 15," but they're not going to send you packing. I think the "most resembles" rule is to keep folks from trying to smog their Miatas as replicas of a 1962 Lotus Elan. Anyway, the benefit of their being an 11 Breadvan is it gives me a photo to point to for a period-correct hardtop with some storage space, in case somebody says "1958 Lotus 11 replica, huh? It looks more like a 1997 Volvo 850 Station Wagon," which could otherwise be hard to argue with.
Warren Nethercote wrote:
Jack, before everyone gets too excited, any thoughts on a windshield? A split pick-up piece like Lalo?
For the roadster, either a replica clear plastic windscreen (it's not a windSHIELD, officer, it's a windSCREEN. See, I look -over- it, not -through- it) or in those states that call for it, a remove-after-registration flat glass windshield (as I currently have on my Lalo--though it's not required, it's a nice alternative to goggles, particularly in the rain) and I'm not completely sure on the breadvan/coupe version but most likely a split pickup windshield or a split early 'Vette.
cs3tcr wrote:
I've been lead to believe that Malcolm Linder did the original molds for the Kokopelli
Hm. I knew that about the Breadvan replica but hadn't heard it about the Kokopelli. Tom Rodgers told me he'd widened the body about 4" from the original 11, but he may have got his original 11 body from Malcolm Linder, or may even have hired Malcolm to do the widening. But I know he had the molds made in the US by a local boat manufacturer, which is why they're a bit unorthodox from an automotive standpoint (for one thing they're white). The Kokopelli is definitely wider than the Lotus 11...here's a shot of an 11 (coincidentally submitted to a Westfield 11 forum by Malcolm Linder):
Attachment:
Lotus11FtQtr.jpg
Compared with the photo a few posts ago, you can see the lime green Kokopelli has a wider cooling air inlet in the nose than the 11, which is probably a good thing for the bigger engines these bigger cars are likely to enjoy. Of course, it's pretty easy to narrow a body if you find a Nash Metropolitan or Sprite axle and want an authentic sized 11 replica...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 16, 2015, 1:09 pm 

Is a building a prototype in your schedule yet? It looks very interesting to me.

Cheers,

PostPosted: March 19, 2015, 7:51 am 

An option for a curved laminated windscreen is to use one from an old VW Super Beetle. Back in the late 80's that is what I used for my Westfield Lotus 11. It was housed in a fiberglass frame from a Ginetta G4 replica. It looks a bit tall in the photos but was really just the right height for me. Lotus actually made a couple of Elevens for the street with a full height flat screen in their Sport model. Please excuse the poor quality of the photos.