LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 7:48 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: November 13, 2015, 11:20 pm 

Guess what followed me home today?
I have been looking for a short(ish) winter project. I've been browsing for boats with bad engines, unfinished kit cars, just about anything that I can get my hand dirty on. Nothing hit my must-have button. I have followed MV8's restomod of his Westward Go and then........I found this on Craigslist this morning about 60 miles away. By the end of the night it was in my driveway. Compared to MV8's trike, this one is archaeic. No doors (lost years ago before the auction), live axle, no A/C, manual trans with 3-on-the-tree. There is a cab.
Attachment:
As found.jpg

I don't know much about it yet. it is going to take some web searching. The guy I bought it from, purchased it about 18 years ago in an auction from the City of Beloit, WI. It was a Meter Maid vehicle as many were. For a number of years he and his father drove it around their farmette. About 5 years ago, the dad took the body off in order to start a repaint and there it stalled. It was running at the time. The motor is still free to move by hand. It has been moved once to its present location. It was wedged into the corner of an outbuilding of a late, 1800's farm house. So I guess it could be called a barn find.

I can't really start working on it. I have some other must-do projects before I tear into it. Presently the bed and seat are just resting on the frame for the move. The cowl is in the back of my Jimmy and the backwall/top are lying on the trailer behind the Truckster. I will unload tomorrow.
Attachment:
home 1.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 14, 2015, 8:01 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Great find! I think of those as heavy duty Vespa Apes without the 2 stroke smoke.
Looks to be mid to early 70s M-38 Truckster.

If you plan to drive this, hopefully this model was plated commercial if not an outright vin. Easier to get road legal and insurance is cheap with a commercial vehicle not being used commercially. You just list who is going to be onboard (versus anybody at anytime with regular vehicles) and a radius of operation from home. The Westward has a standard vin as a motorcycle instead of commercial utility.

If the OMC doesn't work out, folks have been converting to b&s vanguard, diesel, and electric.

Some interesting pics and links:

http://lpd304.blogspot.com/2008/05/back-to-future.html

http://www.nebraskahistory.org/sites/mnh/cushman3.htm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: November 14, 2015, 8:03 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

A few more.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: November 14, 2015, 12:05 pm 

Plenty of room in there for an RX-7 rotary. You have entirely too much time on your hands!!!!!!

PostPosted: November 14, 2015, 12:23 pm 

MV8, your build was one inspiration that refueled my dwindling interest in these Meter Maid vehicles. I've always thought they were interesting. As an added plus, my wife thinks it is cute! BTW, Thanks for the reference photos and the links.

In the light of day, I see that, what I thought was a vin, and was written on the bill of sale, was in fact, a model number 898401-7410. Also there is a tag that says it was built July 1974. I don't yet know where to find a serial number on the chassis, if any. I have identified the motor as an OMC 218 version which means it is a 18HP motor. The speedo goes up to 60 MPH however I doubt it will get close. I'm hoping for maybe 45MPH.

It tag says it has a rated 1000 lb load capacity! There is a decal on the headlight housing that says it meets NHTSA requirements for motorcycles except for some section of code. I believe it is related to the separate brake actuation requirements that motorcycles have. It also says it is exempt from that code. I think it would be titled/licensed/insured in Illinois as an autocycle since it has a steering wheel and the driver does not straddle the vehicle.

I'm not sure exactly what I'll do with this right now. I'm thinking about trying to put the parts together and find what is missing. Then try to get it running condition. Then???????

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 14, 2015, 12:27 pm 

Russ, Thanks but no thanks. I've done the rotary thing I learned what I wanted to learn, Now time to try something completely different.

As for time on my hands, I have the rest of my life, like everyone else. No more, no less. I remember someone who, just this last year took an perfectly good, running Locost, and ripped the engine out only to put a different engine in. Talk about too much time..... :boxing: :cheers:

PostPosted: November 14, 2015, 1:30 pm 

OUCH!!!!!!

PostPosted: November 15, 2015, 10:12 am 
Automotive Encyclopedia

I hope you are more successful than this fellow:

http://www.livingfreeinamerica.com/inde ... ndiana-bmv

If attempting to title through the state as a new vehicle (since it was never previously titled), you may get the argument that the components were not "meant" for "highway" use, which is absurd since "highway" is defined as any public road, including those posted 35 mph or less, yet you can ride an unlicensed bicycle down the same road with less protection so what is the point?

I'd locate Cushman owners in your state to see if they have trucksters on the road.

We have a Cushmans group here in GA that annually drive their trucksters and other models as a group on secondary roads to various places. I've also seen Vespa groups doing the same thing.

LxWxHt

PostPosted: November 15, 2015, 10:27 am 
We are Slotus!

Hey Chuck!
Looks like a fun project... I agree with the question of "What am I gonna do with it after I finish it?" Although, if you live in one of those quiet neighborhoods in surburbia, maybe it could serve as a grocery store runner or going to the friend's house on the other side of the neighborhood... That work for you? Where I live, I could drive it to the grocery store, but I might get runned over by the three jacked-up 4WD three-quarter ton pickups that live down the road... :mrgreen: Still, it'd be a fun little scooter to run around in.

I wondered about the ZEV version. Could ya put a bank of batteries in the back and a 'lectric motor turning the wheels?
Or a blown 5-Liter V8... :twisted:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 15, 2015, 12:17 pm 

MV8, I read about that guy in Indiana. He was/is stuck between a rock and a hard place. Although he did not appear very patient with his DMV; You catch more flies with sugar. It took me months before I got my first reply from my state when registering my Locost. Hmmmm, maybe I should start my process asap.

I wonder if this will hold any weight at the DMV?
Attachment:
highway statement.JPG

I did manage to find a real serial number stamped in the frame. Obviously, it doesn't follow the current format of VINs.
I plan on contacting the City of Beloit to see what they can tell me about it, although it was ~18 years ago. I'm not sure it was ever "Titled" in Wisconsin. I know it was not here in Illinois. They may have just been able to plate it. Maybe with exempt plates? Not sure. According to the story, which was written on the Bill of sale, I am the 3rd owner. I have a couple of ways to possibly title it without a previous title. 1) a "bonded title" and b) a "provisional title". Both require me to retain ownership for at least 3 years before I can sell it. The possibly part of it is if I can satisfy the State that I have a right to ownership. Plus, in 2015, Illinois has redefined this type of vehicle as an "Autocycle" not a motorcycle. Probably in response to the Elio. Autocycles do not require a motorcycle driver's License endorsement. I'm not sure if I get grandfathered due to the manufacture date. NHTSA requires Autocycles to have airbags etc. Still, how will my state treat a 1974 vehicle? Motorcycle or Autocycle? I think the commercial vehicle path is a non-starter for me.
Attachment:
Build date.JPG

I just thought, once I get them to acknowledge the my right of ownership, it shouldn't be much more difficult than titling a Morgan. Maybe might be able to get it licensed as a "Custom Vehicle" like my Locost. it is over 25 years old.

JD, I'm not sure of the stability of this type of vehicle. I'm pretty sure that more power will just get me in more trouble. But fun, it will be! :cheers:

PostPosted: November 15, 2015, 5:47 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

One of the final arguments made against me was essentially that the mfg did not register with NHTSA or identify the vehicle as meeting the requirements. In my reply, I explained the process and provided a scan of the actual registry document with NHTSA and photos of the self certification placard.

It's great that you still have the placard installed. I'd contact NHTSA about the exemption and ask for what it means as far as use on public roads, which is exactly what they were used for. Vins have changed a few times, but have been around since 54. I'm not sure when bikes were first required to have a vin.

Cushman did register with NHTSA for the production of motorcycles in letters dated 05/01/1989 and 08/27/1992, and obviously, prior to that since the letters below are from the 70s but it must have been under a different process. I'd contact NHTSA about their requirements back then and how Cushman met those requirements. As you know, they self-certified with placarding and NHTSA was fully aware of them, so they must have registered also.

A few NHTSA letters of interpretation for you:

DATE: 10/16/79

FROM: EDWIN F. RIEDEL -- COMMONWEALTH OF MASSACHUSETTS REGISTRY OF MOTOR VEHICLES

TITLE: NONE

ATTACHMT: ATTACHED TO LETTER DATED 06/09/89 FROM STEPHEN P. WOOD -- NHTSA TO BLANCHE KOZAK; REDBOOK A33 (2); VSA 108 [A] [1] [A]; LETTER DATED 04/04/89 FROM NANCY L. BRUCE -- DOT TO CHESTER ATKINS -- HOUSE; LETTER DATED 03/29/89 FROM CHESTER G. ATKINS -- HOUSE TO NANCY BRUCE -- DOT, RE MRS. BLANCHE KOZAK; LETTER DATED 09/26/88 FROM BLANCHE KOZAK TO BERRY FELRICE; REPORT UNDATED; LETTER DATED 08/09/88 FROM BLANCHE G. KOZAK TO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

TEXT: Re: Lawrence General Hospital, 1 General Street Lawrence, Massachusetts 01842 Reg. #TX6539, issued 10-16-79 1976 Cushman, Police vehicle with enclosed cab

V.I. #501081

A three wheeled vehicle with enclosed cab is by definition of law not a motorcycle and therefore the operator of[Illegible Word] is not required to be licensed for motorcycles.

Yours truly,

[Please be informed the above unit is not enclosed since it does not have doors.

Blanche G. Kizak]

TYPE: INTERPRETATION-NHTSA

DATE: 06/09/89

TO: BLANCHE KOZAK

TITLE: NONE

ATTACHMT: LETTER DATED 04/04/89 FROM NANCY L. BRUCE -- DOT TO CHESTER ATKINS -- HOUSE; LETTER DATED 03/29/89 FROM CHESTER G. ATKINS -- HOUSE TO NANCY BRUCE -- DOT, RE MRS. BLANCHE KOZAK; LETTER DATED 09/26/88 FROM BLANCHE KOZAK TO BERRY FELRICE; LETTER D ATED 10/16/79 FROM EDWIN P. RIEDEL; REPORT UNDATED; LETTER DATED 08/09/88 FROM BLANCHE G. KOZAK TO DEPARTMENT OF TRANSPORTATION

TEXT: Dear Mrs. Kozak:

Thank you for your letter concerning the applicable classification and regulation of a three-wheeled vehicle manufactured by Cushman. I was saddened to learn that your husband died while operating such a vehicle at his job.

Before addressing your specific questions, I would like to provide some general background information about this agency's laws and regulations. Our agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), is authorized by the National Traffi c and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Safety Act) to issue safety standards applicable to new "motor vehicles" and new items of "motor vehicle equipment." The Safety Act defines a motor vehicle as:

any vehicle driven or drawn by mechanical power manufactured primarily for use on the public streets, roads, and highways, except any vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails.

According to your letters, there are two different models of the three-wheeled Cushman vehicle. One of these models is intended solely for off-road use. This model would not be a "motor vehicle" within the meaning of the Safety Act, so NHTSA has no aut hority to regulate this model. The other model is intended for use on the public roads. According to your letter, your husband was operating the on-road model at his job. The on-road model plainly appears to be a "motor vehicle" for the purposes of th e Safety Act.

Cushman and every other manufacturer of motor vehicles must certify that each of their vehicles complies with all applicable safety standards. Both eighteen-wheel tractor trailers and motor scooters are "motor vehicles" within the meaning of the Safety Act, but the safety standards specify different requirements for those two types of vehicles. To determine the applicable requirements in the safety standards, one must determine into which of several vehicle classes the vehicle in question will fall. As our Associate Administrator for Rulemaking explained in his July 25, 1988 letter to Chairman Florio, the on-road model of the

2 Cushman three-wheeled vehicle would appear to be classified as a "motorcycle" for the purposes of our safety standards.

NHTSA has authority to regulate the manufacture and sale of motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment. Thus, the Safety Act prohibits any person from manufacturing, importing, or selling any new vehicle that does not comply with all applicable safety standards. See 15 U.S.C. 1397(a)(1)(A). The Safety Act also required Cushman to certify that each of its on road three-wheeled vehicles conformed to all applicable safety standards. See 15 U.S.C. 1403. Additionally, the Safety Act requires Cus hman to recall and repair those vehicles if either Cushman or this agency determine that the vehicles contain a defect related to motor vehicle safety. See 15 U.S.C. 1411-1419. It is the individual State, Massachusetts in this case, that has authority to regulate the operation and use of motor vehicles in that State.

I would now like to respond to the particular statements and concerns expressed in your letters.

Statement One: You said: "I feel a determination should be made as to what agency should regulate the use of this vehicle on the Public Highways and the person required to operate should be warned of the hazards inherent in the unit." (emphasis added)

Response: As explained above, NHTSA cannot regulate the operation or use of these vehicles. That is a question that is entirely within the authority of the State of Massachusetts. You may wish to express to the appropriate persons in the State of Massa chusetts your belief that the State ought to regulate the operation and use of these vehicles.

Statement Two: You then noted that "similar units are presently being used in the Commonwealth without a seat belt despite the fact that the Registry of Motor Vehicles considers them to be motor vehicles and not motorcycles."

Response: This statement suggests that you may have some uncertainties about the relationship of the vehicles called "motorcycles" to the larger vehicle group called "motor vehicles." As explained above, for the purposes of Federal law, "motorcycle" is a subset within the broad category of "motor vehicles." Other subsets of "motor vehicles" include "passenger car," "truck," and "bus." Thus, for Federal purposes, all motorcycles are motor vehicles.

Our July 25, 1988 letter to Chairman Florio indicated that the on-road version of the Cushman three-wheeled vehicle is a motor vehicle that would appear to be classified as a "motorcycle." Our safety standard that requires most motor vehicles to be equip ped with safety belts or other types of occupant crash protection is Standard No. 208, Occupant Crash Protection (49 CFR 571.208). However, this standard does not apply to vehicles classified as motorcycles. Accordingly, none of our safety standards requ ire Cushman to install safety belts on these vehicles.

Statement Three: You noted that this vehicle "does not have a solid door, only a canvas one."

3 Response: Our safety standard that specifies requirements for side doors on vehicles is Standard No. 214, Side Door Strength (49 CFR 571.214). Standard No. 214 currently applies only to passenger cars. Since the vehicle in question is a "motorcycle," our safety standards do not require the manufacturer to provide doors on it.

Statement Four: You suggested that the hospital and its employees "were possibly subjected to a fraudulent act," because the vehicle did not indicate a helmet is required when operating the Cushman vehicle.

Response: You are correct in assuming that the State of Massachusetts has a motorcycle helmet use law for all riders. If you are interested in learning more details about that law, you may wish to contact the appropriate persons in the Massachusetts sta te government.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions or need some more information on this subject, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Marvin Shaw of my staff at this address, or by telephone at (202) 366-2992.

Sincerely,

Mrs. Blanche Kozak 49 Sorrento Avenue Methuen
MA 01844;
"Dear Mrs. Kozak: Thank you for your letter concerning the applicabl classification and regulation of a three-wheeled vehicle manufactured by Cushman. I was saddened to learn that your husband died while operating such a vehicle at his job. Before addressing your specific questions, I would like to provide some general background information about this agency's laws and regulations. Our agency, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), is authorized by the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act (the Safety Act) to issue safety standards applicable to new 'motor vehicles' and new items of 'motor vehicle equipment.' The Safety Act defines a motor vehicle as: any vehicle driven or drawn by mechanical power manufactured primarily for use on the public streets, roads, and highways, except any vehicle operated exclusively on a rail or rails. According to your letters, there are two different models of the three-wheeled Cushman vehicle. One of these models is intended solely for off-road use. This model would not be a 'motor vehicle' within the meaning of the Safety Act, so NHTSA has no authority to regulate this model. The other model is intended for use on the public roads. According to your letter, your husband was operating the on-road model at his job. The on-road model plainly appears to be a 'motor vehicle' for the purposes of the Safety Act. Cushman and every other manufacturer of motor vehicles must certify that each of their vehicles complies with all applicable safety standards. Both eighteen-wheel tractor trailers and motor scooters are 'motor vehicles' within the meaning of the Safety Act, but the safety standards specify different requirements for those two types of vehicles. To determine the applicable requirements in the safety standards, one must determine into which of several vehicle classes the vehicle in question will fall. As our Associate Administrator for Rulemaking explained in his July 25, 1988 letter to Chairman Florio, the on-road model of the Cushman three-wheeled vehicle would appear to be classified as a 'motorcycle' for the purposes of our safety standards. NHTSA has authority to regulate the manufacture and sale of motor vehicles and items of motor vehicle equipment. Thus, the Safety Act prohbits any person from manufacturing, importing, or selling any new vehicle that does not comply with all applicable safety standards. See 15 U.S.C. 1397(a)(1)(A). The Safety Act also required Cushman to certify that each of its on road three-wheeled vehicles conformed to all applicable safety standards. See 15 U.S.C. 1403. Additionally, the Safety Act requires Cushman to recall and repair those vehicles if either Cushman or this agency determine that the vehicles contain a defect related to motor vehicle safety. See 15 U.S.C. 1411-1419. It is the individual State, Massachusetts in this case, that has authority to regulate the operation and use of motor vehicles in that State. I would now like to respond to the particular statements and concerns expressed in your letters. Statement One: You said: 'I feel a determination should be made as to what agency should regulate the use of this vehicle on the Public Highways and the person required to operate should be warned of the hazards inherent in the unit.' (emphasis added) Response: As explained above, NHTSA cannot regulate the operation or use of these vehicles. That is a question that is entirely within the authority of the State of Massachusetts. You may wish to express to the appropriate persons in the State of Massachusetts your belief that the State ought to regulate the operation and use of these vehicles. Statement Two: You then noted that 'similar units are presently being used in the Commonwealth without a seat belt despite the fact that the Registry of Motor Vehicles considers them to be motor vehicles and not motorcycles.' Response: This statement suggests that you may have some uncertainties about the relationship of the vehicles called 'motorcycles' to the larger vehicle group called 'motor vehicles.' As explained above, for the purposes of Federal law, 'motorcycle' is a subset within the broad category of 'motor vehicles.' Other subsets of 'motor vehicles' include 'passenger car,' 'truck,' and 'bus.' Thus, for Federal purposes, all motorcycles are motor vehicles. Our July 25, 1988 letter to Chairman Florio indicated that the on-road version of the Cushman three-wheeled vehicle is a motor vehicle that would appear to be classified as a 'motorcycle.' Our safety standard that requires most motor vehicles to be equipped with safety belts or other types of occupant crash protection is Standard No. 208, Occupant Crash Protection (49 CFR 571.208). However, this standard does not apply to vehicles classified as motorcycles. Accordingly, none of our safety standards require Cushman to install safety belts on these vehicles. Statement Three: You noted that this vehicle 'does not have a solid door, only a canvas one.' Response: Our safety standard that specifies requirements for side doors on vehicles is Standard No. 214, Side Door Strength (49 CFR 571.214). Standard No. 214 currently applies only to passenger cars. Since the vehicle in question is a 'motorcycle,' our safety standards do not require the manufacturer to provide doors on it. Statement Four: You suggested that the hospital and its employees 'were possibly subjected to a fraudulent act,' because the vehicle did not indicate a helmet is required when operating the Cushman vehicle. Response: You are correct in assuming that the State of Massachusetts has a motorcycle helmet use law for all riders. If you are interested in learning more details about that law, you may wish to contact the appropriate persons in the Massachusetts state government. I hope this information is helpful. If you have any further questions or need some more information on this subject, please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Marvin Shaw of my staff at this address, or by telephone at (202) 366-2992. Sincerely, Stephen P. Wood Acting Chief Counsel";

LxWxHt

PostPosted: November 16, 2015, 10:30 am 

WOW, Just WOW Where do you come up with this stuff? In summary, in 1988, NHTSA classified the street version Cushmans as motorcycles. Thanks a bunch! If I have any problems during my registration, I'll probably ask more questions.

On another note, The engine runs! sort of. I got it to run for a short while. The OEM fuel pump bit the dust years ago. It was replaced by one of those brick (Purolator 42S) electric low pressure pumps. I put the intake hose in a bucket of gasoline. Well the pump doesn't seem to want to stay running for very long for some reason. I'm also going to have to sort out some wiring things. I found a poor crimp on a wire that only allowed the ignition on while the key was in the start position. With that corrected, it ran for 15 second stints. No strange clatter from the engine area. I'm sure I'll find more wiring surprises in the future.

The brake master is frozen solid. I trust that the wheel cyl's are too. I'll see if they will clean up and add new rubber bits. If not, then new cyl's are available. But that won't stop me from trying to move under it's own power when I get the fuel issue worked out. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: November 17, 2015, 12:14 pm 

I got the solid state fuel pump working most of the time. The sliding core sometimes get stuck at one end of the travel. I took the solid state pump apart, fairly easy thing to do, and cleaned up some fuel gum. It still sticks occasionally but not as much as it did before. When it jams, a quick rap with a hammer breaks it free and it runs for a while longer. I hope it will free up more as fresh fuel flows thru it, since I can't get to the pump to hit it with the seat in place.

Now that the engine runs more than 15 seconds at a time, I have found that the alternator puts out unregulated voltage as evidenced by the ammeter being pegged at >30 amps and the battery top being covered in expelled electrolyte. I'm temporarily using a flooded cell battery that is for my home's battery backed sump pump. The charging system consists of a GM 10DN alternator coupled with a D-635 regulator. Typical 1st generation GM Alternator technology. I found the external regulator (remember those?) had welded contacts and an overheated coil. I found a 3rd party NOS regulator on ebay for 13 bucks. I'm not cheap, I'm thrifty and patient. At least that's what I tell myself. While I wait for it to be dilivered, I have simply removed the regulator and the drive belt to the alternator.

I also had the time/opportunity to test the transmission. I am happy to report that it shifts into all 3 forward gears and into reverse and the clutch functions as it should. Wooo Hooo! It moved 6 inches each time under its own power!

PostPosted: November 18, 2015, 2:49 pm 

You should just buy mine! ;)

It has a vin tag, and was already registered in CT! 100% legal And I'll let it go cheap..

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: November 18, 2015, 4:42 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I'm broke and it's Christmas on top of it, but what do you call cheap?

This'd be great for cruising our neighborhood. We're in a small ranchette area of about 200 homes out in the country.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next