LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Phil's LS1 locost
PostPosted: August 16, 2007, 1:20 pm 

Hi
I'm new here so I hope this Post works. I've been following the locost scene for about 3 years and this site has been great for info. I've been collecting parts for about 6 months and started my build a few weeks ago.
It is loosely based on a locost but doesn't really follow the book plans. The main concept was to incorperate the roll cage right into the build. The cage is 48" wide making it a +6. The parallel portion of the cockpit is 48" long and the front tapers more than a book build. Im using a Mark VIII irs , mustang II front spindles and an Ls1/T56 combo. Tires are 315/35/17 and 275/40/17. The roll cage is 1 5/8" x .120" . Most of chassis is 1.5" x .065" square tube except the cockpit which is 2" x .065". The rear axle centerline is moved back so tires are behind cage giving a 108" wheelbase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16, 2007, 3:30 pm 

Sounds nice. What made you choose that roll cage material? I'm curious because I'm using 1.5"x.090 wall DOM for my cage. Do you have any pics?

Ken

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16, 2007, 3:52 pm 
Locostering Information Liaison

Any picks would be appreciated...I will stick your post so it is easier to find by everyone.

To err is human...
I am more human than most.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 16, 2007, 5:10 pm 

I chose this cage material because it is nhra legal in case I drag race this car. Being a convertible I think it requires a full cage to go 11s.I'm hoping to keep the weight under 1800lbs but in case I err I think the 1.5" x .095" tube is only good til 2000lbs for road racing (not sure but I seem to remember seeing that sometime during the plan for my build).I do have pictures and was planning on posting them but I ran out of time. I'll post them after labour day when I get home.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 22, 2007, 9:47 pm 

pmatolcsy, you're in my neck of the woods. I'm in Mississauga. I too am building the roll cage into the frame, I'd love to see pictures when you can.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2007, 1:36 am 
You might want to contact slngsh http://www.usa7s.com/aspnetforum/Defaul ... rofile&u=1 at USA7s who has a LS1 T56 Rotus.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2007, 4:07 pm 

Hi
Just came back to the city to pickup some parts deliveries. Customs is sure a major pain when importing from USA. If anybody is importing from the USA ,so far my best results have been when items were shipped through the postal system .UPS charges for brokerage seem to be excessive. Well here are the pics I haven’t finished all the tubes and triangulation is still to be added but because my build is so different, I just had to put it on the floor and look at it for a while. I was originally going to use Toyota supra front end (has same 5 on 4.5” as my mustang rims), but parts are really hard to get and I got a good deal on some aluminium hubs and a wilwood brake kit so I am going to switch to Mustang II spindles.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2007, 4:19 pm 

Wow, that looks like the most awesome dune buggy ever! :shock: I can't wait to see it come together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2007, 5:07 pm 
spindlefied

Correct me if I'm wrong - but do you have like a seating area in your garage back there? I see a lawn chair...

Scratch built book frame with an 83 Celica donor 22RE. SHE'S A ROLLER!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2007, 7:37 pm 

nice chassis!

I may be totally out to lunch, but are your tires directional/side specific? they look... off?

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 23, 2007, 9:40 pm 

You guys don't miss a thing. Nice call Enraged. I had to check myself. The tires are not directional. They are Vredstein ultrac sessanta. Very new to North America, but very highly rated in Europe. Yes that is a lawn chair sitting on my build table. Had to move it to sweep up. Once the welding and grinding are done , I'll get the sofa moved in where it belongs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24, 2007, 12:59 am 

OMG.. Awesome so far.. Keep track of your build as I imagine many in the U.S. will want to copy given our love of the V8 and massive tires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24, 2007, 2:25 am 

Very cool! What are you doing for body work? Looks like we have the same wheels and spindles. Nice drive train too.

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24, 2007, 2:50 pm 

Hi Rod
I'm just starting to plan the bodywork. At the bare minimun I'll be making some mdf fender bucks , a mould , and either fiberglass or faux carbon fiber parts. Depending on how the rest of the build goes I may even attempt some aero mods ala jack's build or the WLR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 24, 2007, 9:59 pm 

pmatolcsy wrote:
Hi
Just came back to the city to pickup some parts deliveries. Customs is sure a major pain when importing from USA. If anybody is importing from the USA ,so far my best results have been when items were shipped through the postal system .UPS charges for brokerage seem to be excessive. Well here are the pics I haven’t finished all the tubes and triangulation is still to be added but because my build is so different, I just had to put it on the floor and look at it for a while. I was originally going to use Toyota supra front end (has same 5 on 4.5” as my mustang rims), but parts are really hard to get and I got a good deal on some aluminium hubs and a wilwood brake kit so I am going to switch to Mustang II spindles.

Some of the suppliers south will do extra paper work to expediate through customs and brokerage, for a fee, I believe Speedway is one for example, there may be others.
It doesn't hurt to ask, but you will have to compare the fee they charge to what the UPS/brokerage people might charge and if it effects delivery times at all.
Myself I am lucky I am just across the Border and have the use of a shipping office, so I just pick my stuff up and usually breeze through customs without paying duties and what. It really helps if you can tell customs your spindles are for a 30 year old car as opposed to the broker guessing in his favor if the shadow of doubt exists as to the intended use..
Al

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next