LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 1:27 pm 

Finally getting around to documenting my build. On October 3 2015 I drove this home for $800

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 2:00 pm 

Okay, that's Step 1. Send us Step 2 and I'll get you approved so you won't need adult supervision for future posts.

It doesn't seem like a bad donor to me...the gear ratios are not ideal for a sports car, but then again, cars this light don't need ideal gear ratios, and I think the truck-ratios-are-crummy-in-cars poo got started in Ye Olde Dayes of Four Speeds, if not in Ye Even Older Dayes of Three Speeds.

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 2:16 pm 

hilux wrote:
Finally getting around to documenting my build. On October 3 2015 I drove this home for $800

So, is the Locost built or are you just starting to build? The dimensions of that truck might be a good match for the Champion (the "Book") chassis.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 3:20 pm 

This is what it looks like today. I'll post the in between over the next few days but this should satisfy the mods that I am serious.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Build Log

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 4:01 pm 
The voice of reason

We're not so worried you're serious, it just takes 2 posts to graduate to full member. That's to avoid spammers.

Impressive job on your nose/hood/scuttle. I know that's a lot of work. Are you still itching? Congrats on your progress!

Oh and Welcome!
:cheers:

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 4:10 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Great donor!

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 5:12 pm 

Where are you? Nice nose and bonnet. Did you make them yourself? Russ

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 7:41 pm 

Yes, I made the nose cone/hood/scuttle myself. I will get to that later on with photos.

The primary reason for me starting this thread is to discuss the nuances of this particular donor platform.

When I started researching donors, I couldn't find anyone using a Toyota pickup as a principal donor. I found a few older Celicas, but those seem to be collectible and somewhat rare, meaning more $$$. I have owned an 86 4Runner built for off-road use (SAS, low range gearset, etc for those that know) and an 87 turbo pickup as a daily driver, so I am very familiar with the 20r/22r inline 4 cyl family. I researched what seemed like a logical donor: 4x2 Toyota pickup but there didn't seem to be a precedent.

The pros as I saw them at the time for the donor:
inexpensive donor
performance parts available (LC Engineering)
carburetor (minimizes wiring)
5-spd trans with shifter on the tail (vs top-loader)
common 5 on 4.5 wheel bolt pattern
unequal length a-arm suspension so the knuckles/spindles were correct

I looked at miatas, s-10s, etc, but nothing had the comprehensive package I wanted in one vehicle, so I bought the vehicle and determined to figure it out as I went along.

Build Log

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 7:47 pm 

The biggest challenge was the height of the engine.

My chassis is a 442, and you can see the entire cylinder head and up is above the top rail.

Build Log

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 8:28 pm 

You know we have FieroReinke in Cuba and several other builders in St Louis, Southern MO, and the Kansas City area. Welcome to the group. We have the Midwest Se7ens Gathering in early June up in Wisconsin so come join us. There will be lots of learning opportunities and ideas for new builders. Along with a chance to ride along. Russ

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 9:04 pm 

trialsmangasgas wrote:
You know we have FieroReinke in Cuba and several other builders in St Louis, Southern MO, and the Kansas City area. Welcome to the group. We have the Midwest Se7ens Gathering in early June up in Wisconsin so come join us. There will be lots of learning opportunities and ideas for new builders. Along with a chance to ride along. Russ

Glad to hear there are a few others around the area. I doubt I will be making the trek to Wisconsin but maybe next year.

Build Log

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 9:29 pm 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
I bought the vehicle and determined to figure it out as I went along.
OK, he gets my vote of approval. But, we all know what that's worth... :mrgreen: But seriously, folk, that sounds like the right spirit to me. And from the looks of the pictures, our boy here did figger it out. So, what's not to like?

Tell us more, Sir! (And more pictures!)

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 9:30 pm 

The bottom of the transmission is flush with the bottom of the chassis, the oil pan hangs down 1.5" from the chassis, and I was hesitant to go any lower.

With the height such as it is, the only way to make an off the shelf nose cone work would be to use a cowl hood, hood scoop, or have the engine and carb poking out the top - none of which I liked. The other option I considered (not sure if it would allow the use of a standard nose, etc, but would definitely lower the profile) was to relocate the oil cap and use a set of weber side draft carbs. The oil cap is the highest point on the valve cover and is at the front which is typically the lowest point of the hood. A combination of lowering the drivetrain farther and reconfiguring the valve cover may work, but the Weber DCOE carbs and intake are $1,200....and this is locost, right? Also, the air cleaners for the DCOE carbs would hang out the side of the hood, and once again, not a huge fan of that look.

I also offset the drivetrain 1" to the passenger side to gain some driver side foot clearance. Consequently, the trans output and the pinion are almost perfectly aligned.
Attachment:
DSCF0027.JPG

Engine mount:
Attachment:
DSCF0035.JPG

Build Log

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 11:05 pm 

JackMcCornack wrote:

It doesn't seem like a bad donor to me...the gear ratios are not ideal for a sports car, but then again, cars this light don't need ideal gear ratios, and I think the truck-ratios-are-crummy-in-cars poo got started in Ye Olde Dayes of Four Speeds, if not in Ye Even Older Dayes of Three Speeds.

The truck has 4.10s in the diff, which I have hopefully offset a bit by using a larger than normal (for a seven) tire size. It seems that 24" tires are pretty common and I am using 26x10s in the rear and 26x8s up front, which seem to be popular on cobra replicas.

If all else fails, 3.73 and 3.55 3rd members can be had pretty easily.

The transmission is a W50, which is the same trans used in Celicas (3.27 1st gear).

Build Log

PostPosted: April 25, 2016, 11:16 pm 

Terrible photo of the upper and lower control arms and the knuckle:
Attachment:
IMG_20151229_180914_214.jpg

Using factory ball joints. I looked for a tie rod end that could work in the upper, but I couldn't find one that fit to my satisfaction.

Steering rack is an off the shelf Mustang II unit with a short input. I had to ream the steering arms for the Mustang II TREs.

Build Log