LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:55 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 10:48 am 
Toyotaphobe

I've done innumerable autocrosses and track days with the S.

The local BMW & Porsche clubs finally broke out a class just for the S2000 because we kept beating all their cars and making them look bad so now they don't have to compete head to head.

I have 5 different wheels on it (I've got 3 right now), done the X frame mod, cold air intake and have coilovers.

I've used it to introduce autocross to 2 son in laws and gave them the bug and now I'm about to use it to introduce my grandson to driving in an autocross. He just got his license this week. He's ridden along and loves it so now I have to show him how much fun driving 10/10s is vs 4-5/10s on the street. It worked with my son and kept him from street racing. My son would just invite his friends along who thought they were hot drivers wit hot cars and show them how much more fun legitimate driving was.

I love it and honestly haven't been tempted to replace it at all. I sold a (well actually several) 93 RX7s to buy this and looking back the reason I liked the S so much was that it was so much like the RX7.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: March 17, 2016, 9:14 pm 

A good day, no work so it was good no matter what.

Picked up some more steel as I was in town, 60ft 1x1 and 20ft 3/4.

Got the top sides tacked on, figuring out how much I should or should not do before the roll bars show up. Then it's time to look for a donor Miata.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 19, 2016, 12:00 am 

Kent, Keep the small bottle of mig mix too and use it as a spare. I have run out of gas on a Saturday afternoon, when I had big plans, and had to call it a day because I could not get a refill. I'll be picking up a second bottle next time I start a project.

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity."
~author: Unknown~

PostPosted: March 22, 2016, 9:05 am 

No work for a few days on the car, I was focused on prepping for Autocross event number one.

Good day in Lil Red on RE71's. Roll bars in a few weeks, I'll finalize the install and get most of the chassis done. Then I need to find a Miata donor.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 14, 2016, 8:57 am 

Been a little busy with Autocross

Still waiting on a roll cage, I'm not worried. I may charge ahead and go with one hoop?

Found a transmission for $100!!! Score

Torsen diff on the way also.

Keeping on I am

PostPosted: May 16, 2016, 9:11 am 

I built my whole lower frame section before incorporating my roll cage. Though I did an overhead loop and forward down bars..

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod

PostPosted: May 17, 2016, 6:37 am 

1055 wrote:
I built my whole lower frame section before incorporating my roll cage. Though I did an overhead loop and forward down bars..

Very nice, I'm going to proceed with the Chassis. I'll figure out the roll bar/cage later.

Picked up a F20c exhaust manifold yesterday, FREE.

Yes, by the way I'm going with S2000 power.

PostPosted: May 20, 2016, 11:08 pm 
Toyotaphobe

If you can make the stock manifold work, use it. There simply isn't much to gain by an aftermarket one. It's pretty well optimized for the engine. And as you can see it's a pretty nice piece.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: May 21, 2016, 8:28 am 

carguy123 wrote:
If you can make the stock manifold work, use it. There simply isn't much to gain by an aftermarket one. It's pretty well optimized for the engine. And as you can see it's a pretty nice piece.

I'll use it for sure, I may end up having to lengthen it though. I'm not sure I could make it all fit as is.

I have a few hours this morning, going to cut some tube and tack some together :D

PostPosted: May 23, 2016, 10:13 am 

Just a couple of observations. I have a Honda K24A2 engine, not quite the same but close. The engine is very tall, I have a 1" square spacer that runs down the upper frame rail to lift the nose, back to the scuttle. and I still do have really have enough ground clearance with the engine up as high as possible, (dry sump might be the best solution). I have an S2000 inlet manifold with an adapter plate. It turns out that was a bad choice, that was based on information from the Miata owners that have used the K24A2. It turns out the firewall is right behind the cylinder head on a Miata, so they need the throttle body to point forward. Well is our setup we do not have much room on the front of the chassis, the frame is getting narrow, the have the rad and fan and hoses. But we have tons of room behind the engine. So I should have used a rear facing throttle body and built an air box on the passenger side in front of the scuttle. The engines like long intake runners another issue was cramming everything on the nose. But they are crazy good engines, you will love it either way.

PostPosted: May 25, 2016, 5:08 pm 

Thank you fast, I'll keep that in mind as I continue.

Found a few minutes in the shop and got a little further on the chassis!

PostPosted: May 25, 2016, 5:55 pm 

Here is where I am at today, going to try to get more done later tonight

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 11:48 pm 

First time setting some parts near the chassis, have part of the rear cut out

PostPosted: June 19, 2016, 9:15 pm 

I have been waiting for the cage to show up, took a little longer than expected. Gave me some time to get a few things done. Now I need to cut some out and sort out how I want the cage installed.
Gaining some weight, but safety is good.

PostPosted: June 26, 2016, 9:20 am 

Tell me it's just my failing eye sight,but... from the pictures posted it doesn't look like the mill scale has been removed from the tubes where they are welded/tacked together. just my eyes, right?
Ron

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next