LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 12:05 am 

New on this forum and looking forward to meet all of you.
The plan is to build a 442E,, engine a Ford 5.0, 3.4 V6 (60 degree), 3.8 V6 (90 degree) and dreaming of a ECOBOOST 2.3. 300+ hp
I have the engines except the 2.3. In fact I have just about everything, rear end (live axle) wheels,, seats, gauges etc etc.

Just need a chassis. I am here asking for advice. Have read a few post. I am planning to do a web page of the build. I have purchase the Nose and decided to purchase the Scuttle.
Both of the V6 engines are FI and have the harnesses.

The plan is to keep it simple.

Any advice is welcome.

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 12:39 am 
The voice of reason

It takes approval of two posts to get full privileges. This is to reduce spamming. So I deleted your next post after this.

Yes we have several 5.0 builds. They are small engines and fit well, but the FI manifold is tall. You'll get some pointers soon.

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 2:03 am 

classic conversions wrote:

That's a good plan. Keep that in mind throughout the build. The 442E is a good chassis and fairly simple. Since you're using a live axle the rear hookup should not be too complicated. Don't get too far ahead of yourself and buy everything in advance. I'm sure you'll make many changes along the way.

Good luck. You'll get a lot of advice on this forum. By the way what's your name? Hate to call you "classic" all the time.

Cheers,
Roy

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 2:38 am 

Mr. Conversions,

I mightily second Roy's suggestion about amassing pieces too early in the planning. I know that I'm not the only one that wound up with parts paid for but not being used. I'm into that trap for close to $2k.

Any one want a Howe floor mount brake/clutch pedal?

Cheers

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 9:55 am 

I don't think all those engines will fit, I'd likely just go with one of them.

Good luck.

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 3:56 pm 
We are Slotus!

Trochu wrote:
I don't think all those engines will fit, I'd likely just go with one of them.
Yeah, there's always a smart-a$$ in the crowd... AND USUALLY IT'S ME!!! :rofl: I want to thank Trochu for steppin' up and taking care of that detail while I wasn't lookin... :mrgreen:

Oh, and welcome to the forum. There's a few folks here with 5.0 builds. I'd look at Rod's build log from a couple years ago, I think it was a 442 frame as well as a Ford 5.0.

Other'n that, good luck with your build. Feel free to stop by Team Slotus and see a bad example, up close and personal!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 4:09 pm 

The plan is to build a 442E,, engine a Ford 5.0, 3.4 V6 (60 degree), 3.8 V6 (90 degree) and dreaming of a ECOBOOST 2.3. 300+ hp
I have the engines except the 2.3. In fact I have just about everything, rear end (live axle) wheels,, seats, gauges etc etc.

Just need a chassis. I am here asking for advice. Have read a few post. I am planning to do a web page of the build. I have purchase the Nose and decided to purchase the Scuttle.

Any advice is welcome.

Welcome!

I have a Ford 3.8L V6 build and can give you some useful info if you decide to use that engine. If the 60-degree, 3.4L you have is the later OHC V6, that would be a fresh build as far as I know. Kristian has a Ford 3.0L, OHV, V6 build completed. And, as Marcus (horizenjob) mentioned, there are several Ford 302 builds and lots of info on those.

The EcoBoost (I'm assuming the I4 rather that the V6) would be an excellent choice. However, in my own personal opinion, when you start to get to 300HP and above in these small cars, you have a real handful to drive. It's difficult to get all that horsepower to the ground because of the light weight. Obviously, not everyone shares that view as there are some pretty high-powered Locosts documented on this site and on the Internet too.

Regards,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 31, 2016, 4:54 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:

Any advice is welcome.

Welcome!

I have a Ford 3.8L V6 build and can give you some useful info if you decide to use that engine. If the 60-degree, 3.4L you have is the later OHC V6, that would be a fresh build as far as I know. Kristian has a Ford 3.0L, OHV, V6 build completed. And, as Marcus (horizenjob) mentioned, there are several Ford 302 builds and lots of info on those.

The EcoBoost (I'm assuming the I4 rather that the V6) would be an excellent choice. However, in my own personal opinion, when you start to get to 300HP and above in these small cars, you have a real handful to drive. It's difficult to get all that horsepower to the ground because of the light weight. Obviously, not everyone shares that view as there are some pretty high-powered Locosts documented on this site and on the Internet too.

Regards,

I will throw my 3.4 into the mix if you need info or wish to look at my build.
You are going to have a great time.

Al

PostPosted: June 1, 2016, 11:22 pm 

Thank you for the friendly welcomes.
It would be a challenge to fit all those engines,, it would be a first LOL.

My name is Bill Guzman owner of classis conversions engineering. www.classicconversionseng.com
Deal with MG's only.

After seeing a few post with the Ford V8 I have decided to go with the V8 Ford that I have in the garage.

I have a plan on using a MGB pedal box, MG steering rack. As mention I have just about everything I need except a chassis. I reside in Camarillo Ca. Anyone near Camarillo?

I have read a few post discussing the rear suspension. My plan is to go with a true 4 link, no panhard bar.
I have never build a chassis and looking forward to get your expertise in this matter.

I will have several questions during the build. I will log my progress and share with you all.

I am very please to have found this Forum. Again thank you for the nice welcome.

How do you donate $$ to this forum. Huge source of information.

PostPosted: June 2, 2016, 7:04 pm 

Wow, Bill awesome, I am running your underdrive pulley kit on my 3.4, pleased to see you here.
Bill is a very talented individual and I look forward to his project.

Al :cheers:

PostPosted: June 3, 2016, 11:06 am 

@classic conversions

I looked at your website, Bill. I don't think you'll have any trouble with your Locost.

When I joined these forums about 6 years or so ago, there was a fellow in Ventura who had a nice Locost, which I believe was MGB based. He hasn't been around for a while, so he may not be monitoring this site any longer.

By the way, I think half of us started out with MGBs (myself included), so you are among brothers here.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 3, 2016, 10:36 pm 

Thank you. I have your web page, very useful to me, thank you.

Yes, the Ventura Locost was sold. It belong to Martin, we are in the same club CCBCC Central Coast British Car Club.

He will be around to answer questions. But.... all of you have different awesome ideas and I am always open to your advise etc...

I am excited about this build. This forum is great!!

In my plan I have decided to go with a 4 link with angle links, thus eliminating the panhard rod.
I found a very nice Miter saw Evolution RAGE it cuts metal, tile and wood with the same blade.
Collecting the right tools for the project, any ideas ?

PostPosted: June 4, 2016, 6:48 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Friction disc arbor and 1/4 inch electric die grinder for detail work(decent ones are about a foot long and cost about $100), hand held bandsaw primarily for cutting (Milwaukee $170), angle grinder for cleanup (Milwaukee $75), carbide "[Fatherless Child]" cut rotary file in a 3/8 drill for porting, light grinding and blending. Full set of HSS bits through 1/2 inch and also a 1/2 inch drill, along with a drill doctor for sharpening them. Also bench grinder with wire and grinding wheels.

Chop saws are deafening and create a lot of nasty dust you do not want to breathe, so get a mask.

Band saw is quiet and practically no dust.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: June 4, 2016, 7:12 pm 

I'd sell the V8 and the Heavy V6 and buy a light weight EcoBoost motor.
There is even a smaller one than the 2.3L, but I wouldn't.

Also look at the EcoTech GM motor

Weight is everything to a locost, and too much power is unheard of.

A winning racer said if you have enough power to leave black marks from the exit of one corner to the entrance of the next, you have enough power.

It is never a happy feeling to hold the throttle all the way down and want more.

More power means less shifting also!

PostPosted: June 4, 2016, 7:18 pm 

I have a compound miter chop saw that I use 10" cut off wheels with. It cuts through everything like butter, and cost me $55 + $20 in discs to cut all the steel for my frame. I agree though, I wear a respirator, ear muff ands glasses when I use it. It is loud and dusty, but it's quick!

Driven5 wrote:
Forced Induction + Magic Spinning Doritos = EMod