LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 12:18 am 

So, it's finally time to start my own buildlog, instead of just reading everyone else's. (LIke I've been doing for years)

Not exactly sure what I'm building yet, but here's what I do know. I started with a '95 Mustang GT donor. Took the engine, transmission, rear end, and a bunch of other stuff. Donor cost me $2500. Sold a bunch of parts I won't need for $1100, and still have a lot of other parts left to sell. So right now, my net cost of the donor is $1400.

I'm doing this build in a slightly different order than most, because I like to do things my way. :) I've almost finished rebuilding the 5.0 V8, and converted it from EFI back to a good old fashioned 4 barrel carb setup. I like simple. Next on to the T5 transmission....

Today, I built a build table. Since my garage floor is anything but level, my table has a top that is easily adjustable to ensure that it's completely straight and level. I even remembered to build it so I can fit my engine lift underneath it.

That's where I'm at now. Not sure how regularly I'll be able to post and update this log, but I'll do my best....

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 7:32 am 

Nice beginnings. I love the look of the engine, and I follow all the v8 builds religiously. Looking forward to this.

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 8:06 am 

So, which chassis is it going in? Inquiring minds want to know! :D Engine looks beautiful. I assume you checked your state regs. regarding emissions, etc. before you committed to the carb changeover. Assuming it is going to be a street car.

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 9:23 am 

Haven't decided on the frame yet. So inquiring minds are gonna have to be patient. :)

As for emissions, I'm in Colorado and the nice thing is that "homemade" vehicles (as it will be registered) are exempt from emissions regulations. Gotta love that!

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 9:29 am 

cluelessbuilder wrote:
Haven't decided on the frame yet. So inquiring minds are gonna have to be patient. :)

As for emissions, I'm in Colorado and the nice thing is that "homemade" vehicles (as it will be registered) are exempt from emissions regulations. Gotta love that!

I'm envious! Omterry and myself are in the great nanny state of NJ, third or fourth in line behind behind California (sans the sb 100 group), New York, and possibly Ct. for difficulty titling and registering kit / home built vehicles Gives you a LOT of room for innovation!

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 11:31 am 

Yes, that's a very nice start. I'll stay tuned for the chassis decision. There's getting to be quite a number of small block Ford builds now, so a lot of info on any issues with respect to chassis choice.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 4:22 pm 
We are Slotus!

Howdy Clueless (ain't we all, really?)-
Great lookin' engine you got there. Good ol' Ford blue with flat black... Cool!
What kind of oil pan is that?

Looking forward to watching your progress. Keep us posted. Use lots of pictures, for Perry, ya know? :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 5:43 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

cluelessbuilder wrote:
...I've almost finished rebuilding the 5.0 V8, and converted it from EFI back to a good old fashioned 4 barrel carb setup. I like simple...

As long as the consequences of "simple" are accepted. If a shop tunes it you won't have to deal with the details, but have to accept that the tune is only really correct for that day's weather conditions and altitude. If you choose to tune it yourself it'll require an oxygen sensor, readout, a set of jets, chokes, bleed valves, and the knowledge of what to change to accomplish a desired tune. Once tuned, it is - again - proper for that day's weather and altitude. Try driving the car up a mountain to be reminded that modern EFI systems do have advantages. Be ready to (re)xperience dieseling when you shut off the car, or that it won't start when hot because the gas is boiling, or that it won't start on a cold day because the choke system isn't set up.

Assuming you've run both carbureted and injected engines you know what you're getting yourself into. If not, you'll find out that simple doesn't always equal better!

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 5:53 pm 

Kurt, I agree with what you say, but what I see all the time is homegrown EFI maps that aren't any better than a well-tuned carburetor. And needing a lot more time to get there. I adjusted my carbs in about 10 minutes 3 years ago and haven't touched them since. Are they perfect? No, but they do a really nice job and they're definitely simpler.

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 7:41 pm 

I think the oil pan was from Assault Racing Products.

Kurt, by simple I guess I just meant no computer, less wiring, etc. Just felt like doing a good old fashioned build. I know carbs can be a pain in the ass, but I don't care. I'be worked plenty with EFI, and with carbs in the past and they both have their pros and cons.

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 11:52 pm 

Whats the accessory on the right? Its been awhile since I pulled mine apart, power steering? If you do indeed like things simple, you'll lose it.

Good luck.

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 12:29 am 

How do.

Engine looks fantastic. Build table looks great. The one thing you may want to look at is getting the engine lift to fit not only the table ends but also the sides, you won't regret it when you want to pick the frame.

Are you using the stang spindles?

As for PS, I chose to keep mine and I love it, but it is a personal choice.

And against my better judgement I must agree with JD, use lots of pictures, they're easier to read. :wink:

Congrats on the start and build on!

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 8:03 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
And against my better judgement I must agree with JD
WHAT?!?!?!?!?? Who are you, Sir, and what have you done with Perry??? :rofl:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 8:46 am 

clueless,
Great Start!! :D Whose front pulley set-up did you use?
Ron

PostPosted: August 14, 2016, 2:05 pm 

Ron, I bought the pulleys, etc. on ebay. Don't remember the specific make. If you're interested, I can probably find you a link.