LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
PostPosted: July 26, 2016, 6:42 pm 

Hey, this is me....

42 years old, and live in south western Ontario into vintage motorcycles....both street and dirt. Kawasaki guy since I was 6 when my dad bought me a Kawasaki KV75 :)
Auto tech by trade, and have a few welding tickets too. Been throwing around the idea of a hot rod or kit car for quite some time. Figured Id try putting my main hobby of motorcycles into my new project....so going BEC.

Anyway good to be here...

PostPosted: July 29, 2016, 9:28 pm 

Welcome, Vintage! Just so we're clear here, you are talking about Ontario, Canada? Not Ontario, California! Can't wait to see what your fertile imagination comes up with.

DesmoDog, Welcome! Sounds like an interesting combo. Let us know when you're tired of lurking.

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 11:28 am 

Yep I am in Ontario Canada.

Been checking out the site and found some good stuff for sure. Have a GSXR1100 here doing nothing so may pull the engine/electrics and start looking for suspension components....

PostPosted: July 30, 2016, 8:54 pm 

Hello members...

Obviously my name is Brian and I live in beautiful Southern Oregon...
I'm a 44 year old self proclaimed car and airplane nut married with 3 kids... I am a licenced aircraft mechanic (AKA A&P) with inspection authorization (AKA IA, or in total A&P IA)... I'm am a partner in the family business started by my dad working on small fixed gear single engine airplanes specializing in fabric aircraft restoration and covering...

I have my share of toys that have been sitting in limbo for quite sometime.. Contrary to popular belief, aircraft mechanicing does not make one wealthy.. Especially with two teens and a third almost teen..
Currently in my shop I have a 1969 Mercury Cougar XR7 torn apart almost to the shell... Work on it sparatically as money allows.. Also have a 1987 Dodge Shelby CSX that I have been in the repainting phase for several years now..

I have a really good friend that I finally talked into letting me help him get his Diva roadster kit car done... He is approaching 80 in a couple years so I want to have it on the road before that birthday so he can have a little fun with it... The plus side is he is a wealthy man and can afford throwing some coin at it... I will be starting a build thread on the car with more info and of course pictures...

Meanwhile... Keep building and have fun doing it..

Brian

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 1:17 pm 

@Brian - Diva Builder

Welcome, Brian.

I didn't know what a Diva was, or looked like. Using Google Images, I found some photos. It's interesting. Sort of a Shelby Cobra rear end and a Lotus 7/Kurtis Kraft front end. I'll be interested in following your build. Your friend is fortunate to have you as a resource. I'd say it's going to be a fun build for you.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 31, 2016, 7:06 pm 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@Brian - Diva Builder

Welcome, Brian.

I didn't know what a Diva was, or looked like. Using Google Images, I found some photos. It's interesting. Sort of a Shelby Cobra rear end and a Lotus 7/Kurtis Kraft front end. I'll be interested in following your build. Your friend is fortunate to have you as a resource. I'd say it's going to be a fun build for you.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Yah.. I've been asked from several people "what the heck is a Diva.?" I usually tell them to picture a Lotus super 7 that has been rear ended by a AC Cobra with a bit of Corvette mixed in for good measure... Then I pull up Google and show them a picture..

Brian

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 7:04 pm 

Hi all!
If you've seen this user name before, it was me. Sorry about that, hope it cleaned up OK.
It seems that I have this VW of Canada reman'd NA 1.6L diesel engine, industrial bell-housing, and N-S flywheel sitting in the connex box, along with a now rare and probably obsolete Shelby-Speaco turbo kit with an AR turbo replacing the original IHI unit. What to do with it all?
I once drove a Morgan +8 that we worked on. Rode like a truck, but had massive appeal. A LoCost 7 seems like it might be good place for the engine that may have that same appeal that the Morgan had, so I'm looking into this. May not be the spryest LoCost ever built, but it should be a fun date-night & occasional commuter car; and it should be very thrifty. Then again, maybe I should shove it into a Samurai or a Baja?

FWIW: I've worked in vintage touring & race prep & fab, drag race fab, desert race & chase fab; crewed on a Sports 2000, an Elva Mk VIIs, dragsters ranging from door slammers to a Top Alcohol Dragster, and various desert racing buggies & trucks. Been a student of design and engineering all my life. Worked for wilwood in their R&D Engineering Dept., Burton Sub-Sea electrical Connectors, and in developing an odd little diesel engine. Designed & built all of the support hardware for one engine dyno install (Stuska Water Brake) and designed and built or had built a lot of specialized tooling for another dyno. Currently designing production tooling.

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 7:35 pm 

Welcome to the mad house. Seems like you have quite a bit of practical knowledge. Check out Jack's diesels. There are at least two on here. Where are you? Maybe there is one near you. Russ

PostPosted: August 4, 2016, 8:05 pm 

Thanks, and doh! Missed that box in the set-up. "Upper SoCA" is how I phrase it.

PostPosted: September 20, 2016, 8:19 pm 

Hello All,

My name is John, I live near Austin TX.

So far Im just in the learning/reading stage. Plan on building a book frame with Miata donor.

PostPosted: September 23, 2016, 4:12 pm 

Welcome, John. Learn as much as you can, but don't wait too long to get started.

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 12:07 am 

Stealing the format from Moti lol

Hello, Im Grant and im currently living in San Pedro, CA. 31 years old.
Daily driver is a 2016 Ecoboost Mustang.
Race car is a old D Sports Racer with a 2001 R1 engine http://dsr.racer.net/chassis/jed/index.html

Currently looking at designing/building something with the engine in the front that 2 people can take to the race track or an epic roadtrip. Duratec/mzr powered for sure.

-Grant

PostPosted: December 15, 2016, 11:02 am 

Welcome Grant. We in SoCal are always happy to see a new enthusiast.

Cheers,

Lonnie

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 4, 2017, 2:47 pm 

Turbine_Lust wrote:
Stealing the format from Moti lol

Hello, Im Grant and im currently living in San Pedro, CA. 31 years old.
Daily driver is a 2016 Ecoboost Mustang.
Race car is a old D Sports Racer with a 2001 R1 engine http://dsr.racer.net/chassis/jed/index.html

Currently looking at designing/building something with the engine in the front that 2 people can take to the race track or an epic roadtrip. Duratec/mzr powered for sure.

-Grant

Welcome! We need more duratec builds!

PostPosted: January 12, 2017, 12:53 am 

Hi everyone!

Name's Ryan and I am planning a bike-powered autox build. Presently I am racing an RX8 that I bought with a blown engine and rebuilt entirely with my own two hands. It was a great learning experience that was a natural evolution of all the other automotive tinkering I have done in my life. Now I am ready to take it a step further, because I love projects, and I want to build the whole darn car! :)

This is a great forum and has been very useful thus far. Glad I finally registered. Already started a thread with some questions with starting my build.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 389 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next