LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 18, 2024, 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: March 2, 2016, 11:48 pm 

Sounds good.
Give me a shout: 604-905-8927; should be around the whole time. Probably will be skiing all day on Sunday, as Addie has ski school, but other than that, it'll be a good time to catch up.

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 9:02 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
604-905-8927
I was gonna write that on the wall at the bus station, but I couldn't find a %*&@#%) sharpie!
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: March 4, 2016, 9:24 am 

Thanks for trying, JD, but someone did that for me a long time ago already. For some reason the septic tank industry thinks I can't do without their invaluable services. If I could just pay them with my restructured credit card, then we could flush again. But I prefer to shop local: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPC5Dz-vHsc :rofl:
Not my home phone. :D

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 26, 2016, 2:12 pm 

Well, I haven't posted much in the last little while, but I'm not slacking off. Between sorting out the 7 and building a new trailer for some possible track days, I had also worked on this project. The bike was stripped and listed, and I had started laying things out, but as I was out enjoying the 7, something kept knawing at the back of my mind. The Morgan wouldn't be much different than the 7 (other than a missing wheel; a minor detail) and I would be using it very similarly. Also, I caught myself looking at ads for Adventure bikes, since I had spent a lot time on my trusty DR 350, exploring the country up here. I spent ten years on knarly trails and logging roads, never spending more than a few minutes on pavement. But when I finished the airplane, and with busy kids' schedules, I sold my bike a few years ago. However, I have been missing it; I love exploring the backcountry and going places off the beaten path. But having the 7, building a Morgan and buying a Vstrom, I think even my good wife would have raised an eyebrow. :shock: Then one morning, farkling around the shop, it hit me. I have a bike, right here; registered and acquired cheaply. Why not make it a bike build, and put the Morgan on hold for now? So here is the new direction: I'm turning the VTR into an Adventure bike, and to keep it interesting, attach a sidecar :twisted: (the girls love that idea; Mama is keeping her options open)
I'll be using as much from the donor that I can, and the rest will be fabricated or bought. First acquisition, a new rear shock (all the way from Italy, at a very fair price off Ebay). But to get a bit more rear wheel travel, I have to modify the swing arm a bit.
The sub frame is cut and ready for tacking; it will get welded to frame brackets that I made to bolt in between the actual frame and the engine. Should be a very solid mount.
The front end will be completely changed. I'll be building a leading link fork, that will give me the reduction in trail that is necessary for sidecar steering, and increase the ground clearance at the same time. And I have two perfect shocks for that, left over from the 7.
The sidecar frame will be made from 4130 round tubing, and the body will be an aluminum shell, bolted to it. I have a shock and wheel for it, and it will get a brake, operated with a thumb brake on the left handlebar. Lot's of ideas, lot's of building fun. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 26, 2016, 7:09 pm 

Well this should be interesting. I tried to buy a wrecked SV 650 a bunch of years ago with the idea of turning it into a dual purpose bike, because buying a Vstrom is just too easy. And I figured it would be cheaper to replace a damaged SV650 front end with dirt bike stuff than to strip down a Vstrom and do the same after. Unfortunately the guy with the wrecked SV sold it out from under me a couple hours before I was supposed to go look at it.
Kristian

PostPosted: November 21, 2016, 2:13 pm 

Well, it has been a while, but I will keep this build log updated, because the build is truly kept in the Locost spirit.
So after carving up my swingarm, I now have a nicely fitting rear shock. I have also constructed a subframe, which will provide the attachment points for the sidecar. A modern sports bike frame is basically a way to tie the steering head to the engine, and provide attachment points for the tank, seat and some ancillary equipment. The engine is the main load bearing structure; in this case, even the swing arm bolts to the engine. So there are not too many, if any, places to hang a side car from. So my subframe bolts in between the engine and the main frame, and I tied as many pick up points together, as I could. On its own, the frame looks a bit like Welding Art 101 having gone terribly wrong, or like a praying mantis being strangled from behind. But once the engine is in, it makes more sense.
Also, Santa came a bit early, and brought me a mini lathe. It is all I could justify, money and space wise, but I should be able to make some axles and bushings, and other bits and pieces. When I built the 7, I probably spent only about $ 100 on machining, so I pondered the usefulness of my own lathe for some time. However, while being able to make spacers and bushes from DOM tubing for the 7, it becomes more difficult when all the hardware is metric, with no convenient sizes available off the shelf. In the end I convinced myself, and I look forward to the learning experience.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: November 22, 2016, 12:49 pm 

Congrats on the lathe, Martin. I think the value of these small machine tools comes from not having to "fabricate around" the situation where you can't make simple, small items for you custom situations. If you go to a local machine shop with a simple, but one-off design, it becomes so expensive to produce that it sends you back to the drawing board looking for another solution.

I bought my mini-lathe second hand too, and spent a couple of days going through it, but I now have the capability to build many things for my projects. Plus, it's just very interesting and challenging to do machining in it's own right.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: January 14, 2017, 10:02 pm 

My apologies for not keeping this more current, however, progress is being made.
I've made some handlebars, a swing arm for the sidecar, and lots of parts for the new front end. I've also made some tool modifications, that may be of benefit to some.
For the tubing bender, I made some sleeves, that increased my ability to bend different sizes, without buying a new die. This idea is not mine, I think Andrew (amoore) thought of it before. Simply, I bent some aluminum tubing, and necked down the die. I have a 1 1/2 in die, and with a 1 1/2 x 0.125 wall tube, I am now able to bend 1 1/4 DOM; the 1" die has now a sleeve to bend 7/8" tubing (handlebar size). It is a bit of a grunt job, to split the tube with a hacksaw and file, but it sure saves on buying a new die.
For my trusty band saw, I made a little jig, that allows me to cut some short pieces. It also allows me to cut some small angles (<45*) by clamping the piece from the other end.
I am more and more impressed with the little lathe. To make a new leading link front fork, I had to turn down the diameter of the tube from 1 5/8 to 41mm. It is not a lot, but I didn't want to force the triple tree apart any more. So I put the tube in the lathe with a steady rest, and got it done. Within about 4 thou, over a 12" length. Works for me.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: January 15, 2017, 12:16 am 

That's all good and interesting work, Martin. I'm glad to see you're still at it on this new build.

Cheers,

PostPosted: January 27, 2017, 2:20 am 
Always Moore!

Nice work on the sleeves. I don't think that was my original idea - believe it came from the 4x4 guys if memory serves me right. :cheers:

Can you just set them in place in the die or did you need to weld on a tab so they wouldn't slide?

PostPosted: January 27, 2017, 12:45 pm 

Thanks, Andrew.
They are fine, being held in place just by friction. Once the front of the tube has a bit of pressure from the die coming down, they just snap in place.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: January 29, 2017, 5:24 pm 

Another little home made tool, that I just made today.
In order to grind, and learn how to, HSS lathe tool bits, I need a proper grinder tool rest. It is adjustable for tilt, height and can be moved in or out, as it is clamped to the work table. Since I don't have a mill (not yet :twisted:), I made the slots by flush riveting the upper strips to the lower plate. The angle fence easily slides back and forth.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: January 30, 2017, 11:32 am 

Nice, Martin. They make all these specialized grinding machines for creating and/or sharpening various things, but your solution seems very general AND low cost.

Cheers,

PostPosted: May 5, 2017, 11:19 pm 

I guess I should keep updating on my building adventures, just to show that I haven't been slacking off. The project is taking some twists and turns, but overall I'm pretty clear on the direction it is going. There are not a great deal of home builders in the sidecar arena, so fellow Locosters, feel good about being part of a much bigger group (well at least the 3 or 4 of us :rofl:). So drawing on resources and getting feedback is a bit more cumbersome. But as always, learning is part of the fun.
So over the winter, I built a leading link front end. The idea is to reduce the trail that is built into a front fork, for easier steering, and to add stiffness, since a sidecar steers like a car, thus loading the tire more laterally.
I've also built the basic frame, which has a non-traditional roll bar. I see the sidecar more like a small dune buggy, where I want my kids to be strapped in properly. The will be a front hoop/dash roll bar and some body work. However, it will be closer to an exo than a traditional sidecar tub.
I think that when it is done, it won't be too distant a cousin from the Seven.

My build log:
My build video:

PostPosted: May 6, 2017, 11:39 am 

So, Martin, I see the two Heim joints where the side car attaches to the lower frame of the cycle, but what is the plan for the rest of it, the part that keep the sidecar from "folding up" into the bike. I realize it's not done, but I think of the traditional side car rig as being rigidly attached to the bike with it's one, outboard wheel have the suspension components. Will that be true for yours?

Cheers,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next