LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next
PostPosted: November 14, 2016, 8:20 pm 

More days go by and a bit more progress. Still haven't figured where that washer goes. Hmmmm?

Engine ancillaries are being added. Starter, Alternator, air shrouds etc. (again!) after taking things apart to route a spark plug wire across the engine. Ignition coils added. I have spent hours searching on eBay for suitable brake hoses. The front hose from Jacobsen (now provider of Cushman parts) was >$150. I found a pair of hoses that, with a bit of ingenuity making a brac... (oops!) I mean a thingy to hold the junction of the two, will take the place of the one OEM piece. Also found one to fit the rear.
Attachment:
front brake hose.JPG

Purchased a 25 ft spool of Cupro-nickel brake line w/ misc tube nuts for 30 bucks on eBay. I had forgotten how nice that stuff is to work with. need a tight bend? Form it around a screwdriver handle. Overbend a bit? Just form it back straight. No special benders or other tools needed. Even my cheapo HF tube flaring tool worked flawlessly in this stuff.
Attachment:
brake lines.JPG

I started stripping the wiring harness apart. One wire had burnt up and was bypassed by the DPO.

I still hope to have a running/stopping chassis by the end of the year. I think I just might make it.

Sorry for a few poor pics.

Attachment:
side view 2.JPG

Attachment:
front view.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 8, 2017, 12:06 am 

I've been derelict in updating this. Progress has been going on, slowly, but forward. I rebuilt the wiring harness. I removed the burned out wire and replaced it. Then covered it all in the split-weave covering that somebody (sorry) mentioned on this site. That job is done.
Drivetrain is completely back in place as are all the linkages.

Hydraulic brakes completed and fluid filled. I had a problem with the master cylinder cover. Everytime I pressed on the brake, a squirt of fluid shot up thru the refill hole for the piston. Hmmmm. I then realized that there should have been a splash cover on the inside of the cover that prevented that shot of fluid from being directed right at the vent hole up the center of the cover. I drilled and tapped that hole, then took the dremel and ground a slot in a flat washer. When all bolted up, the splash no longer has a direct shot at the cover vent hole. So far, so good.

I built a temporary flatbed sort of thing that will hold the battery and a gallon jug of fuel for the test run that should have happened by the end of December. Oh well.

Yesterday and today, I cut a rectangular hole in the new section of frame and welded in the original VIN stamping.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 13, 2017, 8:03 pm 

I finished up filling some gaps around the VIN and painted it. If you look at it closely, you can tell it is not original. But from 10 ft away, if you can see it, it looks pretty good. Good enough for the registration.

A few more items checked off the list. I filled the transmission and differential with the appropriate lubricants. Throttle linkage hooked up. I blocked in the battery from my lawn tractor on the rear deck temporarily along with a plastic jug of gas. I held them down with some bungee cords in true low-cost fashion. I ran battery cables and some plastic fuel line.

Then I committed to starting. To my surprise it turned over and ran! Pretty good, even with only preset positions for the idle and high speed jets. I then took it around the lawn for its maiden voyage. WooHoo!

I just had to take it around the block. It has some pretty good power in 1st and 2nd gear. The jump into 3rd (top) gear is pretty wide. The engine slows down pretty much but has a bit of power. This thing is a bit scary. I feel so vulnerable. More so than the Locost. You sit up in the air. I don't have the cab on it yet, no windshield and not yet used to the 1F2R setup. it can turn on a dime. Of course being an ex-meter-maid vehicle, I guess it is expected to.

I have a long way to go yet. But this is a major milestone. Pics (and maybe a video) in a few days. I just had to say something. As the Brits say, "I'm chuffed to bits" :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 12:30 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
not yet used to the 1F2R setup. it can turn on a dime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSaIv_5-Mho

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 10:13 am 

rx7locost wrote:
not yet used to the 1F2R setup. it can turn OVER on a dime.
Is that better JD?

PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 11:04 am 
We are Slotus!

rx7locost wrote:
rx7locost wrote:
not yet used to the 1F2R setup. it can turn OVER on a dime.
Is that better JD?
Makes a better punch line, but let's hope it's totally un-true! :mrgreen:
But seriously, what makes the Truckster 1F2R design more stable than the famous Reliant Robin? Or have I been mislead by numerous British comedians (including Top Gear)? Or, is it a matter of the speed of the Truckster being slower and therefore not enough weight transfer to go rollo on you?
:cheers:
JD "Keep the Shiny Side Up" Kemp

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 14, 2017, 12:21 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
But seriously, what makes the Truckster 1F2R design more stable than the famous Reliant Robin? Or have I been mislead by numerous British comedians (including Top Gear)? Or, is it a matter of the speed of the Truckster being slower and therefore not enough weight transfer to go rollo on you?
JD "Keep the Shiny Side Up" Kemp

Well, absolutely nothing, I think. As a matter of fact, the Truckster, with a higher COG, is probably a worse layout than a Robin. I think that the major differing factor is speed . According to Wikipedia, the Robin was eventually powered with an 850CC motorcycle engine, making it capable of around 85MPH. The Truckster has a twin-opposed 710cc engine by my calculations. However, it has a governor and, if properly set, limits the maximum speed to 39MPH +/-. I do think that the Top Gear scenes were highly staged. But it is highly probable scenario. I do need to exercise caution.

Since I have restored the chassis, and not the body parts, the shiny side you referred to should be kept down. At least until the top side is done.

PostPosted: February 15, 2017, 2:02 am 

Waaay back when, I had a Cushman Mailster.
I think it may have been a bit smaller than yours, one lung engine with kick start.
Driving on two wheels was easy, so long as it was the powered wheel on the ground.
Most of the weight is down low so stability is actually pretty good.
I think the shorter wheelbase compared to a Robin may help too.
Never rolled mine despite driving it like a teenager, which I was. :wink:

PostPosted: February 21, 2017, 12:05 pm 

GO figure. I have some pics to upload but for some reason, my phone and computer are not cooperating. The computer can send pics to the phone, but the phone cannot send pics to the computer! Been trying to update drivers etc but still no cigar (yet).

PostPosted: February 28, 2017, 7:59 pm 

Still can't upload pics wirelessly. I've tried reloading the Bluetooth drivers on the PC, re-pairing, Tried to set up a WIFI-direct. Nothing worked. I have been able to transfer from the PC to the phone but not the other way around. The only thing that does work is connect using a data cable.

We have lifted the cab and put it in place. Started connecting some of the misc wiresch used for the non-essential things like headlights etc. I had a perfectly good headlight when I took it out. Tested and everything. Somehow, the filaments didn't survive the storage. Had to buy a new one. I never had the springs that hold the headlight bulb in place. I found some unidentified ones on eBay and purchased them at a discount price too. I figured it they didn't work, I'd bend them to fit. Son of a gun if they didn't fit perfectly. If you can't be good, be lucky!

Late last week I made a battery holder, so that is no longer on the temporary rear deck. Today I fabbed a couple of brakelight mounts. They were painted and will be ready to put in place in a day or two.

Attachment:
cush 1.JPG

Attachment:
cush 2.JPG

Attachment:
cush 3.JPG

Attachment:
cush 4.JPG

Attachment:
cush 5.JPG

Next up is either getting turn signal wiring or installing the fuel tank. I'm not sure what I will feel like when I return to the scene of the crime.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: March 1, 2017, 8:49 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo Chuck-
Sometimes, I just can't help where my brain goes. Poor little thing wanders off on its own...

When I look at this picture, with that one headlight out front:
Attachment:
Chuck's Truckster.JPG
I can't help but think of this fellow:
Attachment:
Minion.jpg

And then I start wondering about how you're gonna paint your little Minion... Basic black?
Attachment:
Minion Vampire.jpg

Or something more retro 60's Dead Head style?
Attachment:
Minion Dead Head.jpg

And then you could dress the li'l guy up for holidays!
Attachment:
Minion at Christmas.jpg

Or perhaps you could work as Security in your neighborhood?
Attachment:
Minion Ambulance.jpg

OK, I'll stop now... No, don't get up, I know the way out... :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: March 1, 2017, 8:54 am 
We are Slotus!

Sorry about that last post, Chuck... It ain't my fault... The DEVIL made me do it!

PostPosted: March 1, 2017, 11:21 am 

JD, Thanks for stopping by. I wasn't sure if anyone was actually reading this jibberish. Frankly, I'm really not sure why I'm posting it. It is not really a build of any kind. It is just my chance to breath a few more years of life into the old thing. And just like Lotus Sevens, the Cushman Trucksters have held a place in my heart for many decades. I just had to give it a try.

I think that you unwittingly just named the Beast. The Minion you posted is named Stuart. The Truckster looks even more like Stuart with the headlight in place. Maybe I'll post a few more pics later.

PostPosted: March 1, 2017, 12:23 pm 
We are Slotus!

Stuart, eh? Hmmm... I kinda like it!

Iffen you painted the cab yellow, with a black band around it at headlight level... :mrgreen:

Yes, I read this build log. Watching that oddball little vehicle come back to life is really cool. Sorta like building a Se7en, or a bad copy of a Mallock, or a street rod, it's what you dreamed up and want to build. What's not to like?

JDK

PostPosted: March 2, 2017, 3:22 am 

rx7locost wrote:
Thanks for stopping by. I wasn't sure if anyone was actually reading this jibberish.

I read your stuff all of the time. Even though I'm not a Cushman fan, in that I really doubt that I'll ever own one, I am interested in watching your rebuild and how you solve the problems that arise. Besides being entertained and educated I also find that your project (everyone's projects) are motivating and tend to get me out into the garage more often. So....keep up the good work and the posts as you have a faithful audience!

PS: I like Minions too!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 14  Next