LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 3:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Locost quirks?
PostPosted: March 11, 2017, 6:29 pm 

Currently working on the design for my car on the computer and waiting for parts to show up for me to start working with. Kind of curious what kind of quirks(good and the bad) should i look forward to once the car is built besides all of the creases on my face from smiling all of the time. :)

Thanks,
Grant

Post subject: Re: Locost quirks?
PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 5:44 pm 

You'd better like talking to people.

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 6:32 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Seems a little late given that you're already building, but I'll play:

- You'll get hit by sand and smalls stones, always wear glasses.
- Be prepared to be beaten about the head by wind
- Prepare to be deaf in one ear, both from the wind and the exhaust
- Be prepared to hear "is that a kit?" over and over, even after you say no
- If it rains, you're going to get VERY wet, especially when turning
- You'll constantly worry about every single nut, bolt, wire, and weld coming loose
- You can't honestly say that you'll be home on time because you can't be sure something won't break
- If you use a straight rear axle, potholes are going to hurt
- Unless your name is Jack, Locosts don't really attract the ladies because they see where all your time goes
- You will have to try very hard not to drive like you're 16 and showing off

Yeah that's about it.

Last edited by KB58 on March 14, 2017, 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 7:27 pm 

- You will have to try very hard to not drive like you're 16 and showing off
Boy you hit that nail on the head!!!!!!!

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 8:56 pm 

"You will have to try very hard to not drive like you're 16 and showing off"

I already have that problem with my Focus. My drivers license is doomed if I ever get my Locost built! :shock:

PostPosted: March 13, 2017, 10:46 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

For me it's impossible not to get on it on a freeway on ramp. With 400-500hp it's almost telepathic to think "I want to be over there" and bam, you're there.

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 12:28 pm 
The voice of reason

I think your asking a bunch of quirky people what's quirky about our cars. We think they're normal! :rofl:

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 12:52 pm 

My daughters still think it's cool to go for a ride. Even better that the fossil is hidden in the helmet and all the boys turn around to gawk. :roll: https://vimeo.com/169105698

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 1:50 pm 

horizenjob wrote:
I think your asking a bunch of quirky people what's quirky about our cars. We think they're normal! :rofl:

What do you mean, aren't we the normal ones? The questions from random people is pretty entertaining. I've had people ask what I started with for a body, and they're always confused when I say .040" aluminum sheet. The real fun conversations though are where people that know a bit about cars are trying to figure out what the heck it is and what the drivetrain is from. One of the guys at work is somewhat interested in building one, and he asked if there is an easier way to build one, like taking the entire drivetrains from one vehicle so everything works together without a bunch of custom work. Yeah, but where's the fun in that. Even better was one guy that asked how I knew all those different parts from different manufacturers would work together. Ah, they needed some persuading to get along. I do enjoy pointing out various parts of the car and getting people to guess what they came from. Some are literally garbage from work. A perfect example is the little cover between the steering wheel and the column.
It's the little plastic container that a roll of electrical tape comes in. They're a kind of clear plastic, so I painted it black on the inside like a lexan body for an rc car. Little stuff like that amusesme. Maybe Marcus is right, I'm not normal.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 5:47 pm 

Kurt's list is great. A couple of things, though. I built my scuttle with straight sides, and together with plastic wind wings I haven't been hit by anything in more than 3 years and 30K miles. I do wear glasses, though, and sometimes goggles, just because of the wind. Driving in the rain guarantees getting wet, but so does driving through a puddle. Also, for me at least, the constant worry about the structural integrity of the car starts to diminish after a couple of years.

As for all the "kit" references, few people seem to understand there's any difference, which is why after explaining how you welded up the frame from little metal tubes and shaped the body over PVC pipes their next question is, "So who makes the kit?". The only time you don't want to insist on the difference is when you go to get your car licensed. If it'll help speed up the process, let them call it whatever they want.

PostPosted: March 14, 2017, 6:36 pm 

I agree w/ Nick. Kurt has it hit on the biggest quirks. But like Nick, I really don't worry about the chassis much at all anymore. I give it a good look over each season and have never found anything of concern. I don't drive as much as he does.

2nd, Some people just don't get it. I call it "stick-built". You get a 20 ft long stick of steel tube, cut it about yea long (and I hold my hands about 18 inches apart), and weld it to another one. Repeat that process until it looks like a frame. Most of the time, a light goes on and the guy finally gets it. Those that do get it generally look over the car in more detail with a lot more interest.

Wind and noise will tire you more than any car you've ever driven. Ear plugs and goggles are a must. I generally wear a dew rag. Talking to your passenger at 70 MPH is nearly impossible.

Be prepared to get stopped at gas stations, ice cream places, stop lights, anytime you are not moving, to answer all kinds of questions.

The grin on your face never stops.

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: March 15, 2017, 11:39 am 

KB58 wrote:
For me it's impossible not to get on it on a freeway on ramp. With 400-500hp it's almost telepathic to think "I want to be over there" and bam, you're there.

Gee, that happen to me all the time too . . . . and then I wake up! :mrgreen:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: March 15, 2017, 1:05 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Lonnie, you aren't that far from doing that yourself.

PostPosted: March 15, 2017, 10:43 pm 

Thanks guys and gal. I have a lot on my plate right now and this really helps me stay focused believe it or not. :)

-Grant

PostPosted: March 16, 2017, 1:01 am 

KB58 wrote:
- Unless your name is Jack, Locosts don't really attract the ladies because they see where all your time goes
A few observations on this subject:
1) The attract-the-ladies aspect seems to be inversely proportional to horsepower. Locosts are not intimidating, but thundering beastie cars are, and if you have a thundering beastie Locost the first impression is probably...thundering beastie. I've had guys in NASCAR jackets curl their upper lip when they see the 32 horse Kubota under my hood, and walk away, shaking their head. But their girlfriend wants a ride.
2) Once a gentleman reaches a Certain Age, he looks pretty harmless. I look pretty harmless.
3) When someone asks if they can take a photo, I ask if I can take one back. In general, guys that want to take a photo of my car just do it, and women ask. Instant conversation starter, and I didn't have to start it.
4) If you want to meet regular people, go regular places. If you take your Locost to a car gathering, you're going to meet car people. If you drive coast to coast and take back roads instead of freeways, you're going to meet a broad spectrum of people. At Pebble Beach, you'll have the hundredth coolest car on display. At Dave's Diner, you're number one.
5) I'm not the sort to kiss and tell, but, well, there's nothing to tell. When conversations have lead to dinners, and dinners have lead to sleepovers, I'm generally on the couch. I've saved myself some motel room costs and had great conversations, but if your goal is attract-the-ladies, building a Locost is not a wise investment of your time. Volunteer at the library, or become a roller derby official, or take a tango class--do something where you're not just passing through.