LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: March 6, 2017, 11:02 pm 

Locost USA forum, thanks for the add.

As you guys can see from the title I am looking into replacing my grandfather's tools, quite a lot of tools. Unfortunately, my grandfather's had a break in while he was away a couple of weeks back and they got quite a lot of his tools. Also, his insurance doesn't cover the amount he has lost, meaning he will only get a portion of the money that the tools were actually worth, very unfortunate.

Since I have installed a security system so he feels much safer and we can catch them next time. Now, I am looking into replenishing his tool stock but not to sure where to start. I know that the thieves only took what they could carry so there is no big machinery/tools missing but, everything that was not bolted down and could fit in a bag is gone. So with your guy's expertises, I was hoping to find the perfect gift to get him back in high spirits.

As of building my own kit cars and mechanics, in general, I'm not all that clued up but I know that a lot of people talk about snap-on being the best tools in the trade, is this so? Or is there tools just as good if not better for a more reasonable price? I don't mind paying the full wack for a snap-on set if you guys think it's a good idea, on the other hand, a very good tool set for half the price can't be argued with!

Really looking forward to seeing some of your guy's suggestions and seeing what I can sort for my grandfather.

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 4:03 am 

Looks like you guys must be thinking Snap-on is the best way for me to go about it!!??????????????

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 10:16 am 

Have you gone to the pawn shop to buy his tools back?

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 10:22 am 

Check craigslist for his tools too.

Scrap Metal Build Log viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14558

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 12:08 pm 

My tool collection is like my build: Low-cost and incomplete...I don't think I've ever even used a Snap-On tool before.

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 4:10 pm 

I think most of us have collected tools piecemeal over the years. Maybe at one time or another we bought one of the big sets, but those tend to have a lot of seldom or never-used items to get the part count up. You usually start with a good set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers, then buy specialty tools as you need them. Personal preference will come into play on brands, sizes, and features.

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 4:12 pm 

I second that "buy the basics then as needed" idea. Personally I have a few tools that would store much better as stacks of cash, ya know?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 7:42 pm 

That sucks that he got broke into and tools stolen. I used to drool over the big sets in the snap on catalog when I was in highschool, but ended up buying a big sears craftsman set instead because I could actually afford it. I don't know if they still sell sets like I got, it wasn't one of the ones you get now that has 250 screwdriver bits to make up a 400 piece set. My dad was the one that talked me into it, saying he wishes something like that was available when he started as a heavy duty mechanic. I have a few snap on tools now, but most of the stuff I use every day is from that first big set I bought. The one I have was about a 350 piece socket and wrench set, metric and standard up to 1.25" and 30mm. I've added to it over the years, but that big set still makes up a big chunk of my most used tools. Personally, I think people pay a huge premium for snap on tools just because of the name. They are great tools, but so are a lot of other brands too.
Kristian

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 8:41 pm 

Hope he filed a police report and had a good list of what was taken.
Also hope you are in a state that requires ID to pawn and reporting items to PD for comparison to theft list.
The thieves probably live near to him, they tend to be lazy and steal in their local area.
Probably stolen to sell or trade for dope.
Often thieves will wait a while to sell their loot so do not stop checking pawn shops and on-line sales too soon.
Most important of all, having "Scored" first time around they WILL be back, possibly quite soon. :BH:
I hope your new alarm system includes a decent camera for identification.

As to brand, if he had Snap-On I'm sure he would like to replace with same.
If he had another brand they will be less expensive.
Nothing wrong with MAC or other premium brands, Sears Craftsman are OK.
Chinese junk can get him/you hurt when they fail.

PostPosted: March 20, 2017, 11:34 pm 

I'm a auto mechanic and I buy as little snapon as I can get away with. Too much $$ and they still wear out (albeit slower). Buy snapon selectively on things that get worked hard. Rachets, extensions, prybars, diagonal cutters, allen/torx sockets, screwdriver bits, punches etc. Things like sockets and wrenches the better craftsman/mastercraft stuff is fine, and can be replace 5x for the same cost as the snapon. I've replaced my mid-quality socket and wrench sets twice but they get worked reaaaaaaally hard and are cheap enough they owe me nothing. My cheapy Princess Auto impact sockets are just now starting to break after 15yrs of constant work on one of the most powerful guns you can buy.

I'd avoid snapon for air tools. Too expensive and not the same power as others. Only exception would be their air-hammer which is a brute (and I love it :lol: ).

If you have any specific questions you think I can help with just ask. Mostly it's just going to come down to what he does with the tools to know where the money needs to be spent.

Cheers.

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 2:42 am 

JakeH wrote:
Looks like you guys must be thinking Snap-on is the best way for me to go about it!!??????????????

wrightcomputing wrote:
Check craigslist for his tools too.

This is what we are doing daily anyway just in case they pop up on there, so far no luck.

nick47 wrote:
I think most of us have collected tools piecemeal over the years. Maybe at one time or another we bought one of the big sets, but those tend to have a lot of seldom or never-used items to get the part count up. You usually start with a good set of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, and pliers, then buy specialty tools as you need them. Personal preference will come into play on brands, sizes, and features.

This sounds like a good place start with the socket sets and wrenches I suppose it makes the most sense.

RichardSIA wrote:
Hope he filed a police report and had a good list of what was taken.
Also hope you are in a state that requires ID to pawn and reporting items to PD for comparison to theft list.
The thieves probably live near to him, they tend to be lazy and steal in their local area.
Probably stolen to sell or trade for dope.
Often thieves will wait a while to sell their loot so do not stop checking pawn shops and on-line sales too soon.
Most important of all, having "Scored" the first time around they WILL be back, possibly quite soon. :BH:
I hope your new alarm system includes a decent camera for identification.

As to brand, if he had Snap-On I'm sure he would like to replace with same.
If he had another brand they will be less expensive.
Nothing wrong with MAC or other premium brands, Sears Craftsman are OK.
Chinese junk can get him/you hurt when they fail.

We are waiting for them to return with open arms!! Top of the range cameras and motion sensors vandal grease and then this liquid that only shows up in UV light. You have anything else in mind?? I was just going to electrify everything but the police wasn't too happy about the idea....

C10CoryM wrote:
I'm a auto mechanic and I buy as little snapon as I can get away with. Too much $$ and they still wear out (albeit slower). Buy snapon selectively on things that get worked hard. Rachets, extensions, prybars, diagonal cutters, allen/torx sockets, screwdriver bits, punches etc. Things like sockets and wrenches the better craftsman/mastercraft stuff is fine, and can be replace 5x for the same cost as the snapon. I've replaced my mid-quality socket and wrench sets twice but they get worked reaaaaaaally hard and are cheap enough they owe me nothing. My cheapy Princess Auto impact sockets are just now starting to break after 15yrs of constant work on one of the most powerful guns you can buy.

I'd avoid snapon for air tools. Too expensive and not the same power as others. Only exception would be their air-hammer which is a brute (and I love it :lol: ).

If you have any specific questions you think I can help with just ask. Mostly it's just going to come down to what he does with the tools to know where the money needs to be spent.

Cheers.

This is what I think I will do. Go get him some nice snap-on tools now like the wrenches and socket sets mentioned above and let him build it up piece by piece as he goes on.

Thanks for all the replies and the love guys!!

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 2:56 pm 

JakeH wrote:
You have anything else in mind?? I

It would sure be a pity if the thief returned and knocked over a loaded crossbow as he was skulking about the garage....... :wink:

I love my big Craftsman tool set that I bought in the 70's, it has served me well. The only complaint about Craftsman wrenches is that they're "clunky" and their larger dimension sometimes won't fit into a confined space like a Snap-On one will. For that reason I have a few S-O wrenches in my box.

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 5:14 pm 

Quote:
You have anything else in mind?

I make guns, machine guns, and silencers for a living. :shock:
Some burglars I have dealt with probably have no idea how generous I am that they are still alive.
They have gotten the hint on occasion as I do not use silencers when making myself clear as to the "No trespassing" signs.
The criminals know each other, one warning shot keeps them all away for about a year.
Luckily I have not had to actually shoot any of them, although one pair came VERY close due to trying to blind me with a flashlight.
If it had been my 'Nam Vet buddy who caught them they would have perished on the spot.
The vermin do tend to travel in pairs or small packs, be careful!

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 10:11 pm 

I have done a little looking up of the craftsman tools sets and they are much better in price and by reading a few reviews a tool set that most are more than happy with. Being I'm not rich, what would you guys say about Used Craftsman tools? should I look for a bargain or should buy new?

PostPosted: March 21, 2017, 11:21 pm 

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used craftsman tools in decent shape. I've got my grandpa's old tools at home too, and they're still good stuff. Lifetime warranty at any sears store, no receipt required.
Kristian