LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 2:29 pm 

Greetings fellow automotive do it your selfers. I've been working on a long term total customization of a 71 Lotus Europa. I'd had a 69 when I was in college in the early 70s. For years I thought of what mods I'd do if I ever got another one. A number of years ago I bought this one from a neighbor. It had been sitting in his back yard for years with the windshield broken out. From a tree branch falling on it. Over the years the project has evolved (read that snow balled LOL). This is the third engine I was/am going to use. Starting with the original then a Ford now a Buick aluminum V8 215. The Buick is much smaller & lighter than a small block Chevy. Not as much horse power either. But the same basic engine as used by Olds was used in the early Mclaren can am cars. I've modified the rear suspension to fully independent. The body will be somewhat a cross between a Lola T70 & Chevron B16 with my own twists of course. I started back into it the first of the year after letting it sit for over 2 years. I've taken a lot of pics along the way & been posting in the GT40 forum.

PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 6:39 pm 

Ooooooooo I like it. Always loved the Europa. A guy here in town does a lot of Ztech conversions in them. I have never seen a V8 version. Should be a screamer!!! Russ

PostPosted: April 18, 2017, 11:10 pm 

Lotus did a Europa with this same engine (Rover bought the design from GM). For the GKN company (Corp?) It was a one off.

PostPosted: April 19, 2017, 2:56 am 

Look for Europa Engineering in the UK.

PostPosted: April 19, 2017, 2:40 pm 

I wandered over to to your build thread. I think you need to post some fresh pics over here:cheers:

PostPosted: April 19, 2017, 11:14 pm 

Evlshnngns wrote:
I wandered over to to your build thread. I think you need to post some fresh pics over here:cheers:

You mean from over at the gt40 site? Yes I'll post more pics.

PostPosted: April 19, 2017, 11:23 pm 

Some of the body changes I've made. When I decided to go to 15" tires from the stock 13" with the wider tires. It necessitated widening the fenders to cover. I hate fender flares, they always look like afterthoughts & usually just tacked on. I prefer to have it look like it was designed & built this way. I've always loved the looks of the Lola T70 & Chevron B16 so that's pretty much what my influence was. Here's some of the rear area.

PostPosted: April 19, 2017, 11:34 pm 

The larger tires also raised the ground clearance. So I cut & lowered the front part. But then didn't like the Chevron "Happy Car" look. I added 5" in length changed the headlight bucket bottoms & lengthened them/ Made a new radiator opening & there will be two round intake ports on each side too. But I won't put those in until I have the permanent piece molded.

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 12:27 am 

Got the first coat of primer on the nose this evening. Still have detailing to do around the headlights & radiator air in & out. Will put tit back on the car to finalize the wheel arch shape & check clearances. Then I can do the rolls over the tops. Then just a whole lot of block sanding & priming. Then it'll be ready for a mold build.

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 8:56 am 

Wow! Very cool. 8)

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 10:33 am 

I'm liking this build! If you make a mold for this are you considering offering bodies for sale?

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 10:56 am 

Probanly not John because I won't be doing molds from the center (cab) section. The nose & tail sections won't fit a stock Europa. The nose might be a start on another body though LOL

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 2:10 pm 

Primer sure helps visualize, looks good. Build a nice mold for the front clip, who knows who might want one.

PostPosted: April 21, 2017, 8:13 pm 

I always liked the Europa. My neighbor had one when I was a kid. I like your build.

PostPosted: April 22, 2017, 12:08 pm 

I'd had a Europa when I was in college in the early 70s. I thought & dreamed for years what I'd do if I ever got another one. Then several years ago I went over to a neighbors & asked if he wanted to sell him. I knew he had one & could partly see it through his gate. It had just been setting & a big branch had fallen out of a tree & smashed the windshield. Anyway I bought it, brought it home & started cleaning out years of critter & tree left overs LOL It's gone through a couple (several) revisions since I got it (including changing what engine I'd use) & a couple of spates of just sitting for extended time. I think I have a pretty clear picture of where I'm going now & can/will get on with it. The change to the nose I think will be the last major revision to the body (I hope LOL) Although I put it back on the car yesterday. But I'm still not sure of the wheel clearances & may have to do some more widening to be sure. I thought I had it ok but not really happy with it yet. Better to do it now before taking the mold. Than hoping it'll be ok & then learning it's not. Here's a cople of pics of the intake I'll be using on my Buick V8. That's George my garage ape. He doesn't say much just kinda hangs around LOL