LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 11:36 am 

Quote:
Chapman went for low weight instead of high HP, and that was the theory behind the original Seven.
Quote:
It's much more than just the engine weights that have to be compared

All true and 'tis been ever thus. That's why Formula Fords are so fun and relatively affordable.

But can you imagine the Can-Am Series being run with 4-bangers? Some people just want a V8 :D

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: July 4, 2017, 2:30 pm 

seattletom wrote:
But can you imagine the Can-Am Series being run with 4-bangers? Some people just want a V8 :D

Well if they were Offenhausers...

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: July 5, 2017, 8:08 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
But can you imagine the Can-Am Series being run with 4-bangers? Some people just want a V8
Formula 1 had screaming, howling Cosworth and Ferrari (and other) V8s for years, then went to screaming, howling V10's. Then most recently, they converted to hybrid drives with turbo 1.6L V6 engines. The cars are faster, more nimble, etc, etc... But the fans miss that noise. It's an integral part of the racing...

On a similar note (pun intended) how do you think turbo 4 bangers, no matter how fast they went, would be accepted in NASCAR??? Can you imagine the fans' outrage? Might as well piss on the Pope...

Yeah, sometimes it's good to have a V8.
:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: July 5, 2017, 11:33 am 

I saw an interesting interview with Doug Fehan, Program Manager for Corvette Racing, at Le Mans last month. He said he spent time walking through the Corvette Coral, talking to fans from many countries. He made an interesting comment about their V8 engines and fans. I can't quote him, but a decent paraphrase of what he said is, "For many of our new fans, especially countries where they don't have or hear V8s day to day, they tell us the sound of our Corvette V8 engines is the first thing that attracted them to our race cars."

So, it looks like some sort of primal response to the sound of V8s exists in places outside of North America. Interesting, huh?

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: July 23, 2017, 10:45 pm 
Toyotaphobe

To help quantify the sum of the differences between a 4 cylinder & slapping in a big old honking LS engine I just was reading an article about the new Hemp bodied "Renew" and they offer a 225 hp version that weighs 2,500 lbs.

Their LS crate engine version weighs in @ 2,800 lbs.

That should include the heavier duty bits required for the V8, but it still doesn't begin to tell the tales in consumables like the higher price of tires, shorter life of brakes, and let's not forget gas, although to me the gas is irrelevant since unless you are going cross country we aren't looking for the highest MPG.

Then there's all that extra heat that has to go somewhere which usually means in the cockpit and rising from the pipes across your arms and then into the cockpit too.

Just more food for thought

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 21, 2017, 9:39 am 

carguy123 wrote:
That should include the heavier duty bits required for the V8, but it still doesn't begin to tell the tales in consumables like the higher price of tires, shorter life of brakes, and let's not forget gas, although to me the gas is irrelevant since unless you are going cross country we aren't looking for the highest MPG.

To be fair, F body LS powered cars can easily get into the 30 mpg range on the highway, same with vettes. A lot of it has to do with aerodynamics. Lotus 7's just aren't aerodynamic. Hell even the Donkervoorts aren't. But they are at least slightly better at it.

PostPosted: September 22, 2017, 3:13 pm 

CodySimonson wrote:
To be fair, F body LS powered cars can easily get into the 30 mpg range on the highway, same with vettes. A lot of it has to do with aerodynamics. Lotus 7's just aren't aerodynamic. Hell even the Donkervoorts aren't. But they are at least slightly better at it.

Per Fuelly, typical V8 Camaros are netting 15-19 combined mpg. Ecoboost Mustangs are getting 23-25.

PostPosted: November 8, 2017, 10:16 pm 

Maybe this will help some of you out looking to use an Ecoboost engine.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: November 8, 2017, 10:30 pm 
Toyotaphobe

CodySimonson wrote:

But when you drive the car as it's designed to be driven instead of hypermiling the gas mileage drops into the single digits which requires larger tanks and more weight to carry & on the track it means bringing more gas cans, paying for said gas, and then there is the added expense of the larger tires & more brakes needed (as well as the weight) plus the shorter life of said tires & brakes. Larger radiator, more trouble cooling, etc., etc. It's a geometrical progression not an additive situation.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: December 3, 2022, 11:18 am 

philso wrote:
fastcraftTom wrote:
I too think the 2.0 L Ford Ecoboost would be an excellent choice for the Locost or kit build and should be seriously considered. The engine as used in the 2012 and newer Focus ST is rated at 252 HP and 270 Ft lb. would be a good candidate for our cars.
I have checked my local salvage yards and it is not difficult to purchase complete engine with turbo under 60 K miles for $1,500. To me this makes it a very economical option for the kit. To this price you would also need to purchase and transplant the Focus ECU( always easier typed than done) or possible use aftermarket for off road use. Also you will need the fly by wire throttle pedal and harness. I am rather certain this engine can be paired directly to the Miata NC 2.0L 5 spd or 6 spd transmission and drivetrain, readily available, or thus can be an upgrade to an existing Miata based car. One issue that will need to be worked out is these engines use a pedal fly by wire system. The throttle and pedal box will need to be designed or modified to accept Ford throttle pedal. Ford racing does sell such a pedal or you can probably adapt the Ford Focus pedal. The Ford pedal is a pendulum style pedal. This torque level is at the maximum what most of the Miata Turbo group owners say the Miata Trans can handle. The NC 6 speed can handle the torque well. Another option would be to mate this engine up to a Tremec T5 using a special cast adapter. Also the Tremec is a readily available , inexpensive and light weight and very strong option, actually not much more than the Miata box. I actually have had MNR mock this combo up, 2.0 L ecoboost and Tremec T5 for fitment and jig and do offer this as an available option for purchase for the VortX. FYI I did check the 2.3L and as I recall the 2.0L and 2.3 share the same block and bolt pattern. So all above comments should be similar for the 2.3 but mostly likely more torque than the Miata box could handle for long life. T5 would be better option.
But I have not any personal experience with the 2.3L ecoboost.

Tom
fastcraft.biz

I have been considering building a Stalker MX-5 using the Ford Duratec 2.0 litre turbo. ebay Motors lists pages of them ranging from around $800 to $1500, many with relatively low (under 50000 miles), some with free shipping. The Stalker MX-5 is meant to use an NA or NB Miata as a donor. I would probably use the transmission out of an NC Miata since it mates with the Duratec without need for adapters. Brunton have the drive shafts made up for each kit so it should not be a problem. I still have to talk to them about what differential (and other parts) I should be purchasing. Like geek49203, I will probably go with a taller gear ratio in the differential since I find having to run around 3200 rpm or 2700 rpm at 60 mph (a friend let me try his Caterhams) does not make for an enjoyable experience when driving longer distances.

PostPosted: December 3, 2022, 12:39 pm 

Why not pull the 2.3 EcoBoost engine, transmission, drive shaft, and independent rear suspension from a 6th gen Mustang.
  • The 2015-2017 base 2.3 has 310HP/320FtLb.
  • The 2018-2023 base 2.3 has 310HP/350FtLb.
  • The 2018-2023 High Performance 2.3 has 335HP/350FtLb.

It doesn't take much to pump the 2.3 well above 400HP (intercooler, injectors, turbo, waste gate, exhaust, tune).

My understanding is that the 2.0 and 2.3 EcoBoost blocks can share the same transmissions. The 2.0 is more of a racing engine and has a more robust surface on the deck to avoid head gasket blowouts.

One downside is that the 2.3 is a bit heavy at about 400lbs.

PostPosted: December 3, 2022, 3:03 pm 

Driven5 wrote:
fastcraftTom wrote:
I am rather certain this engine can be paired directly to the Miata 1.8L transmission and drivetrain, readily available, or thus can be an upgrade to an existing 1.8L Miata based car.
If by 1.8L you mean the 2.0L MZR in the NC Miata, then yes. If by 1.8L you mean the 1.6L/1.8L BP in the NA/NB Miata, then no. Unfortunately, it sounds like the 2.0L Skyactiv in the ND may not have kept the MZR bellhousing pattern like the Ecoboost engines appear to have done.

Yes Your comments are correct. The NC miata 5 speed and 6 speed transmission use same bolt pattern as 2.0L or 2.3L Ford Ecoboost.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 87 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6