LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Welcome to The Builders Logs. This area is for showing your current build/your completed car. Please only create a thread if you are currently building a car/showing off a finished project. Please do not create any other topics in this forum; any other subject should be posted in the correct forum. Please also only create one thread per user per project.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 5:00 pm 

Had a good day at the car show today. I'll post more when I got home, but this picture deserves its own post. I met and talked to Pat Barringer of Mallock cars today. I probably talked to him for an hour's or so about race cars. I mentioned that I wanted to build another locost on Marcus's car 9 design and was describing the suspension design, and he mentioned that he'd worked at Mallock way back then. He said he'll send me some pictures from back then too, and if he does I'll post them here. Here he is next to my locost, in the green shirt. Turns out he lives across the river and runs the Knox Mountain hill climb with a modified legend car.
Attachment:
IMG_20170618_115343841_HDR.jpg

I've added a bunch of my other random show and shine pictures below, seeing how photobucket cut the links to all my pictures.
Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by turbo_bird on July 6, 2017, 9:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: June 18, 2017, 11:22 pm 

Well here we go, a bunch of pictures from today. There were more around the other side of the hall, but I didn't get a wide shot of all of them. People figured this was the best turnout yet, probably over 50 cars, so it's starting to get more popular. That's a good thing in my book. I think one of my favourite things at car shows like this is the parents that bring their kids. Any time there's a kid interested in my car and the parents are making sure they don't touch it, I ask if they want to sit in the driver's seat for a picture. That seems to make most kid's day, and hopefully gets more people into cars.

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_111303049_HDR_1.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_111247187_HDR.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_111254668_HDR.jpg

It was a really cool, laid back show and shine. No entry fee, pull in with a cool car and park, and they give the driver of every car a ticket for a free breakfast. No awards, no schedule other than try to show up between 9:30 and 10 am, but there were cars coming and going through the day. Ran into one of my dad's friends that wasn't interested in breakfast, so we only had to pay for the kids to eat. He had his Mustang Bullitt there, I didn't realized they made them in black too, but he has one. Apparently his daughter has never shot a handgun, so he said if I let her shoot some of mine, he'll let me drive it. And yes, he and my dad go way back, so he knows what he's getting into.

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_101103051_HDR.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_101132874_HDR.jpg

I have a terrible memory, and don't remember what year this Packard is, but it was a seriously cool car. The couple that own it did all the restoration work, including painting it in their laneway. He had his wife doing body and paint work he said. All stock except LED tail lights and silicone brake fluid. Even still has the 6 volt electrical system. I'd have to say that was the coolest car there today, and it was really neat talking to the owner, even if it was just briefly while they were trying to leave.

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_121608127_HDR.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_121808010.jpg

A pretty nice 1964 Thunderbird, looked pretty stock.
Attachment:
IMG_20170618_121846679_HDR.jpg

I didn't really get a chance to look at this Galaxie, just snapped a quick picture as he was backing out. My wife really liked this one and the Thunderbird above, so did I.
Attachment:
IMG_20170618_123321560_HDR.jpg

The guy that owns this Challenger has had it since new. He had a copy of the original sales invoice in his binder.
Attachment:
IMG_20170618_123205026_HDR.jpg

And of course no car show is complete without a General Lee lookalike.
Attachment:
IMG_20170618_102203136_HDR.jpg

And in no particular order, a bunch of pictures of cars that I didn't really get any details on, but they're cool cars and I took pictures of them anyway.
Attachment:
IMG_20170618_123524443_HDR.jpg

We're only allowed 12 pics per post, so I'll add the rest to my previous and next posts.

I had a fun day and got to meet a few interesting new people, and caught up with some old friends too.
Kristian

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by turbo_bird on July 6, 2017, 9:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 10:39 am 

That's a really diverse collection of cars. I like seeing what people do with unusual choices for their restoration efforts. There are so many 32-34 Fords, 55-57 Chevys, etc. It's great to see someone do something unusual like the Rambler convertible. And, that story on the old Chevrolet pickup the guy has had since high school was really great too.

Your car is definitely one of the unique ones and I'm sure you got a lot of questions. Thanks for the photos.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 1:07 pm 

Thanks Lonnie. It's definitely cool to see more than just a bunch of cookie cutter 32 Ford's with Chevy small blocks and Tbuckets with the same. There were a few people interested in my locost. It's funny what people say about it as they walk past, some think it's a Caterham, others think it's a hotrod like a track T, some used to have an MG just like it. The ones that know about locost are pretty interesting though, like the Pat that used to work at Mallock in England.
I think my daughter is starting to realize that she can get attention from boys with it too, she wanted me to drive her to school with it today. One of the boys in her class asked her to show him how to build one. She's 6 now, and it's probably only going to get worse.
Kristian

More show and shine pics re-posted here.
The guy that owns this truck has a daughter at the same school that my daughter goes to, and he's also the guy that bought my uncle's Kelmark.
Attachment:
IMG_20170618_102256677_HDR.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170618_102244772_HDR.jpg

Last edited by turbo_bird on July 6, 2017, 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: June 19, 2017, 10:45 pm 

@turbo_bird

That's funny about your daughter and the boy wanting her to show him how to build one. Well, at least you're still cool enough that your daughter wants you to driver her to school!

Cheers,

PostPosted: July 6, 2017, 1:07 pm 

hey Kristian, some of us can't see photobucket (company firewall issues), how about posting pics as attachments to the thread.

The beginnings of the Jag Special,
https://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19012
Again, all pictures were lost.

PostPosted: July 6, 2017, 1:21 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
She's 6 now, and it's probably only going to get worse.Kristian

You have NO idea! :wink:

PostPosted: July 6, 2017, 2:45 pm 

robbovius wrote:
hey Kristian, some of us can't see photobucket (company firewall issues), how about posting pics as attachments to the thread.

It wouldn't matter if you could see photobucket links anyway, they shut down everyone's hosted pictures. I'll go through here and my build log to fix the pictures, and this time they will be directly uploaded. I've learned my lesson.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 6, 2017, 2:46 pm 

ngpmike wrote:
turbo_bird wrote:
She's 6 now, and it's probably only going to get worse.Kristian

You have NO idea! :wink:

Yeah, I don't have any sisters, so I really don't know anything about girls. This should be interesting, but that's how life is. I don't think I'd change it for the world though.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 6, 2017, 11:08 pm 

1055 wrote:
upload the pictures to the site so they don't disappear for future users!

Prophetic words, and it didn't take long either. If you ever predict the end of the world, I'm going to believe you over the Mayans, that's for sure. This one's all fixed up now, but my build thread is going to take a lot longer.
Kristian

PostPosted: July 7, 2017, 3:02 pm 

turbo_bird wrote:
She's 6 now, and it's probably only going to get worse.

Your good for a few more years, Kristian.
My older one is now 14, full blown teenage attitude, and in her first year of high school. She called me the other day, to see if I could pick her up after school. She was clearing all her books out of her locker, and they are so heavy Dad, I can't do that long walk. Our house backs onto the high school's soccer field, so clearly a very daunting hike. Oh, Dad, and could you come in the cool car? Sure, baby girl. I love these big excursions, all 473 meters. As I wait in the parking lot, many quick glances originate from a group of Grade 12s, who were gathering and bro talking around an old beat up Ford PU. Baby girl emerges, waving, giggling and glancing back at the boys. While she slowly straps in, aforementioned PU driver pulls out, and proceeds to do a monster burnout behind us. Lots of hootin' and hollering, girls turning up their eyes, and me just silently shaking my head. As the crowd slowly re-emerges from the smoke, who stands there, looking straight at our hero - the Principal. Bro crowd scatters, boy gets invited to the office, and I never laughed so hard. :rofl:

My build log:
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14520&start=0
My build video:
https://vimeo.com/143524140 password "matovid"

PostPosted: July 7, 2017, 8:32 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

That old car above reminds me of the time I got a chance to drive a stock 1934 Nash down the street and back. As I neared a curve, the owner said I might want to back off. I said I'm only going 35 mph. He said, step on the brakes and you'll learn why. Holy smokes - cable-operated apparently, and rather terrifying.

PostPosted: September 5, 2017, 10:08 pm 

First day of school here today, and guess what, I'm still cool enough that my daughter wants me to drive her in the locost. Or at least the car is cool enough that she's willing to be seen with me in public with it.
Attachment:
IMG_20170905_182349.jpg

While she was at school I took my son for a ride, seeing how he felt left out by not getting a ride in it. We went for about an hour drive up to a ski resort, and ran into some road construction. We both got pretty dirty with the mud coming straight off the front tires. I might have to revisit front fenders, but around here I'm pretty safe as far as getting caught in the rain. It was pretty funny driving past one of the construction guys that was sitting on the pavement running a winch line in a manhole, and we were pretty much looking each other in the eye.
Attachment:
IMG_20170905_185239.jpg

Today was a short day at school, so I picked my daughter up with a filthy car, then filled it up and got milk on the way home. I don't want to run out again, that was embarrassing. Last spring I ran out of gas right in front of the school, and had to get my wife to bring me a gas can. I put in 17L for about 160km, so I should be able to go about 300 km on a tank if I'm easy on the throttle.
Attachment:
IMG_20170905_185323.jpg

My daughter asked why so many people wave and ask about the car. I told her that it isn't normal for most people to drive something like it, and this might be the only car like it that a lot of people will ever see. I like that my kids think stuff like this is normal though, hopefully they won't succumb to peer pressure and what's "normal" when they're older.
Kristian

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 9:36 am 

That's a great story about your daughter. And, now I see a new application for a sevenesque sports car: low cost mudder. :mrgreen:

Cheers,

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 6:21 pm 

Goggles are definitely in order for mudding Lonnie, probably even with fenders. Picked my kids up from school again yesterday and today, and if it isn't raining tomorrow, I'll take the locost again. Yesterday was the little guys first day of kindergarten, and he wanted to stand in front of my car with the sign too. Notice that he wants to be a mechanic already. I like picking the kids up in it, but next week they'll be getting off at the same time, so that'll be the end of it. One of the kids at the school actually knew what a Caterham is and thought that's what I was driving, so that was cool.
Attachment:
IMG_20170907_150836.jpg

We've had a really dry summer here, even by our usual dry standards. The last real rain we got was around the beginning of May, and that wasn't much. We got 1/8" one weekend in August, and that's not helping the forest fire situation at all. I took a couple pictures of how smoky it is today, and this has been most of our summer. The sun is bright red all day, and even with it hiding behind the smoke, we've been getting temperatures in the high 30's, so around 100 in the shade. At least there's no fires near us, at least not yet.
Attachment:
IMG_20170907_145710.jpg

Attachment:
IMG_20170907_145644.jpg

Kristian

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next