LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: June 20, 2017, 11:14 am 

Attachment:
DSC_0095.JPG
Attachment:
DSC_0030.JPG
I have been a bit lazy in my reporting. However my build (1965 Corvair powered rear engine locost) is still on track. I will try to file some pics to prove it. If I can manage it this time.
OK, it looks that I have the pictures in. What you can see here is the not complete chassis of a locost that will have a roof (coupé), the engine behind the seats, the spare wheel, and removable doors are in the front under the hood , as well as the fuel tank and the water tank (not there yet). Although the chassis is a space frame inspired by Champion's Book drawings, I have made many changes. I have used more G16 1 1/4" tubes and my entire suspension and steering are different. I.e I am using semi elliptical leaf springs everywhere and my steering calls for a Pittman arm gear . I will detail all this later. My suspension too is my own design. Not necessarily better but stronger, I think.
:cheers:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by phil on October 16, 2017, 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: October 10, 2017, 4:52 pm 

Any progress in the last few months?

PostPosted: October 16, 2017, 6:38 am 

Attachment:
DSC_0082.JPG
TRX wrote:
Any progress in the last few months?

Thanks for your interest.
Yes , I have worked on the roof.
Of interest to some, perhaps. Here is what I have been doing.
The tube frame was tack welded entirely minus the engine brackets and rear suspension attachment. The roof was lined roughly with thin wooden planks (1/4 x 3). And 1/2" balsa core was stapled on the wooden plug (male mold). Now (not seen on this picture) I have spread West two part resin with slow hardener. Sanded extensively.
Coming up: glass fiber layering, more resin, more fairing, etc until the shell looks OK. I will then brace the roof with a sort of metal cradle, remove it from the chassis, turn it over and glass the inside (which is less demanding). The shell will then be parked somewhere until the Spring and then finished. This Winter (Canada) I will complete the welding and finishing of the chassis. I will try to post more pictures as I go.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 3:24 pm 

That's a cool idea for building a hard top, it should be plenty stiff and light. Are you going to remove the 1/4" x 3" planks before glassing the inside, or are they staying with the balsa?
Kristian

PostPosted: October 17, 2017, 3:31 pm 

Apparently balsa makes a good stiffener and sound deadener. Chevy used it in the floors of the C-5 Vettes, and presumably in the 6s and 7s!

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 7:15 am 

turbo_bird wrote:
That's a cool idea for building a hard top, it should be plenty stiff and light. Are you going to remove the 1/4" x 3" planks before glassing the inside, or are they staying with the balsa?
Kristian

Thanks,
I thought of leaving the pine plank plug in place and decided not to. For 2 reasons:

Weight

And mostly because the resulting GF lamination would be weak. Indeed core fiber glass laminations rely on a direct resin bond between the core surface (in this case balsa wood) and GF. The pine planks in my system are only there to provide a plug or male mold. Balsa is only stapled to them. I will therefore have to peel off all these boards, breaking them in the process prior to fiber glassing the inside. :cheers: