LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:13 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next
PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 2:17 pm 

Best of luck in your future endeavors Randy! :cheers:

PostPosted: August 28, 2009, 7:31 pm 
The voice of reason

Hey Randy, sorry to hear. 3 years ago, I got to the point where real estate folks were showing my house. I just nicked by. Your avatar travels cheap, and advice is cheap so please check in with us sometime. edited: I mean to give free advice.

Best wishes and just try to keep going...

PostPosted: August 29, 2009, 1:17 am 

Thanks guys! I plan to keep checking in. I have been lurking even with the progress of the car on hold. I hope to restart again once I have Dubai figured out (and there are metal and parts available). I have no idea what donor to use over there either. Hopefully I can get this off the ground again (no pun intended).

Randy

PostPosted: August 30, 2009, 12:54 am 

RandyBMC wrote:
Thanks guys! I plan to keep checking in. I have been lurking even with the progress of the car on hold. I hope to restart again once I have Dubai figured out (and there are metal and parts available). I have no idea what donor to use over there either. Hopefully I can get this off the ground again (no pun intended).

Randy

Dubai? Sheet, you might find on old worn out 2008 Austin Martin DB9 abandoned at the junker's. Probably make a perfect donor. :D

PostPosted: September 23, 2017, 3:30 pm 

Hello all! A lot has happened in the last 8 or 9 years, but I am finally back in the Denver area. I am itching to build a Seven again! Yikes!!

I hope all is well with everyone. I am just now looking back over my old build, and realize how much I will have to relearn, which is why I am so glad this site is here.

I no longer have any of the books except the new Build Your Own Sportscar :( So, no help from Keith's or Ron's outstanding publications, and no $$$$$ to buy them back again. I am really happy to see that the McSorley site is still up and maintained!

Anyway, it is good to be home! The donor search and table build may follow shortly...

PostPosted: September 24, 2017, 12:19 am 

Welcome back, Randy!

PostPosted: September 24, 2017, 6:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Welcome back, Sir! Good to be home, ain't it?

Good luck with (re-)starting your build. Keep us posted on progress, and lotsa pictures!

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 18, 2017, 8:34 pm 

I've been collecting drawings and pouring over books. Unfortunately I gave my best books to the buyer of my old project (Ron's original book and Keith Tanner's great book). I think I have decided on using the Haynes Roadster chassis and using either the Saturn Sports Cars plans for the MX5, or the Vodou Chassis plan for the MX5.

I ordered the tubing today! I plan to go get my build table materials tomorrow so I can build the table after work. The metal arrives on Friday :D

Now I just have to find a donor. I've been scouring Craigslist in our area the past week or so. Not too many in the right price bracket at the moment, so I will just keep looking. Ideally I would like to find a 1.8 with a Torsen for $1500-2000. I can dream! Seems there are a ton of 1.6L out there.

No photos yet, but I am getting excited!

PostPosted: October 27, 2017, 6:46 am 

How's the build progress going?

PostPosted: November 5, 2017, 5:12 pm 

I have been tearing down the donor!

I found a '93 Miata with a Torsen LSD in the back, and it came with a Jackson Racing Supercharger in boxes as well! It also has a rebuilt engine with documentation from parts all purchased through Flyin' Miata. Couple sets of wheels which I will probably sell, but a great find at $1500! It had hail damage to the body, so it wasn't pretty - perfect.

I've also taken delivery of all of the tubing. As soon as I can make room by getting rid of the Miata shell, the build table will go together.

I've taken photos along the way, but nothing uploaded yet - I'll update when I do that.

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 12:49 pm 

Here's my donor.

Attachment:
Donor1.JPG

Attachment:
miatadonor.JPG

Some cool parts - Jackson Racing header and exhaust (I'll sell the exhaust), a Torsen LSD from a '99, that oil filler cap is trick, FM VMaxx coilovers (to sell), lots of other little goodies - and a supercharger!

Attachment:
donor2.JPG

Attachment:
donor3.JPG

Attachment:
donor4.JPG

Attachment:
donor5.JPG

The tear down has begun.

Attachment:
donor6.JPG

Attachment:
donor7.JPG

Attachment:
donor8.JPG

I also just ordered an Evolution Rage2 cold saw after extensive research on vertical/horizontal band saws and the "cold saws" like the Rage2. It has great reviews, leaves very clean cuts and will save a ton of time compared to the first frame I built using the chop saw. And I got it for $185 including the blade! Photos once it gets here and I can start chopping.

I also was able to snag a 1954 Delta/Rockwell drill press, since I sold my '40s press when we moved overseas. It is beautiful and included a monster cool drill press vise!

I have to work now for two straight weeks, but I'm hoping progress can be made after the middle of this month. All these parts and no time to work on it!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by RandyBMC on November 12, 2017, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 12:59 pm 

So the images are huge! Since photobucket has disappeared, and the old forum I used doesn't support photos anymore, I tried using Google photo. Can you guys see these? :BH:

Any ideas on how to make them less huge when sharing them from Google? Or any other photo hosting ideas...

Anyway, hopefully you can see the donor :D

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 1:55 pm 

There are free photo editing/photo-resizing apps available on-line. In practice they can be a simple to use as right-clicking on the photo and choosing from a number of reduced resolution options. 250 kB is a reasonable size - still sharp enough for the reader, and gentle on forum memory. I am talking Bill Gates platforms here, but the same probably applies to Macs.

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 4:31 pm 

If you are on a Windows platform, my favorite is "Snipping Tool". It comes packaged with Windows for the last several versions. The pic becomes the size you grab on the screen. Save the snip and attach it to your post in this site. Easy Peasy. And reliable for future readers

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: November 6, 2017, 4:41 pm 

Testing with another shot of the donor - so I went to the photo on my laptop, used the "snipping tool", saved as a new photo, then attached.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 315 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 21  Next