LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 15, 2024, 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: December 8, 2017, 5:57 pm 

john hennessy wrote:
ford 302's have a habit of crank breaking and block cracking, just sayin'

especially with 50oz counterbalanced cranks and non Mexico blocks.

John, educate me a little further please. How does a broken crank create an intermittent problem as JD describes (the mechanics of it please as I can't picture what would be happening). If the crank is broken how do you start the engine with the ring gear at one end of the crank and the timing gear at the other end? Thanks, Bill...who knows very, very little about Ford 302's.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-12-08 at 3.56.18 PM.png

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 1:55 pm 

often times the crank breaks at the first web, but will turn as the mains keep it in line but some rotational "play" back and forth is there so phasing goes in and out relative to the timing chain and cam.

first time i came across this was with a V12 jaguar where the thing would run sort of but would not rev up and popped and banged a bit at idle, again the mains hold the crank in line but the timing changed fore and aft of the break.

as far as the blocks cracking, they can go big time with a crack right down the valley but usually crack on the main webs.
Attachment:
maxresdefault.jpg

in the photo the front main cap has been removed but if it were still there it would hold the crank in place axially

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 5:05 pm 

I had a formula ford motor break like that, it would run but very poorly.

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 5:12 pm 

Had a similar situation years ago with a '65 Bug I owned. Comin' home from work late at night when the engine started knocking like an SOB. Shut it down & coasted down the off ramp. Got to the bottom of the ramp and all I saw was "No Parking! Tow-Away Zone" signs, so I fired it up and drove about 1/8-1/4 mile to a parking lot, and called my F.I.L. We towed it to his place and I dropped the engine. Using a pry bar, I noticed what looked like excessive end play at the flywheel end of the crank, but no movement at the crank snout. Yep! Broken crank, but it still ran and restarted after I shut it off. WEIRD!

PostPosted: December 9, 2017, 8:29 pm 
We are Slotus!

Y'all are scaring me...

James/Earl tells me a customer once drove an F-150 with the ol' 300-inch straight six into the dealership that was "running rough." You guessed it, broken crank.

This is causing undue pressure in my cranial areas. Almost like the time somebody said "Br@cket" one time too many...
Attachment:
Boom.jpg

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: December 10, 2017, 12:46 am 
The voice of reason

Do go crazy! Maybe it's not broken? Maybe you and Bubba both put crankshafts in the motor, Bubba was just trying to be helpful. Or maybe he packed some other spare parts in there. Who knows.

When I am having a really hard time trying to find a computer problem, sometimes more than one thing is broken. It can even happen because your swapping known good parts in, one of which is broken but you can't tell because of the other problem. Then when you swap the original problem with a good part, it's still broken. And you're just going around in circles. Look at that ass you're thinking, Oh that's my ass....

I helped a neighbor debugging a problem with a water ski boat a friend asked him to tune up. SOunded weird, but we struggled with what the problem was. Maybe it was not wired for right firing order I said. No, he said it's good to start with basics like new plugs. He's used to run the service dept. at a local dealership. It's running better next day and he says it turns out it had 4 of 8 plugs bad... Who'd have thought. :BH:

My sympathies....

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 12:01 pm 
We are Slotus!

The Great Blizzard of 2018:
Attachment:
Blizzard3 01 03 18.jpg

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 12:20 pm 

Getting it here in Summerville too JD. 1/2 inch of sleet s far. Changing to snow sleet mix now.

OOPS I did it again
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17496

Blood Sweat and Beers
http://www.locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=15216

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 12:43 pm 
We are Slotus!

Be careful if you go out and about, Bro! If the slick roads don't get ya, the Southerners that can't drive on them will!

Sun has come out here, temp is almost up to 40. Our blizzard melted before the St. Barnards got here with the casks of rum on their collars. Bummer... I wuz really lookin' forward to that... :mrgreen:

:cheers:

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 5:25 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
The Great Blizzard of 2018:
Attachment:
Blizzard3 01 03 18.jpg

Those snow flakes remind me of something when my now 36 year old son was about 5 years old. My father took him for a ride on my snowmobile around the farm yard. He was sitting between my fathers knees so that he could hold onto the handle bars to give him the feeling that he was driving the machine. My father drove the sled up onto the side of a snow drift (idling the sled) and he and my son fell sideways off the sled. They got back on and drive up to the house, my son rushed into the house and exclaimed "Geedo and I hit a snow flake and fell off the snowmobile!" :lol:

Watch out there, don't hit too many snow flakes JD.

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 8:02 pm 

some times in Florida it gets so cold that the birds fly north for the winter!

what about the car?
i guess you are hoping it will get so cold that the crank freezes back together

PostPosted: January 3, 2018, 10:07 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Did you at least get to go sledding down all those hills around you?

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 8:17 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Perry!
I dodged all of them big ol' snowflakes quite well. (By staying inside next to the woodstove until they all melted!)

Great story! I hope I can be that kind of grandfather to my own little ones. I've let little JJ sit on my knee and hold the wheel while I moved the pickup around the yard. She likes to blow the horn. Little Josh is only 8 months old, so we haven't had too many driving lessons. (Yet!) We did watch a couple of F1 events together. He's a Ferrari fan.

Mr. H-
In this part of Florida we have all four seasons, just not usually to the extreme we had this past week. Snow is a real rarity, but we'll have low temps below freezing for a few days or a week or more every winter. When is your big move???

I went out to the shop one evening this week, took the carb and intake off the DogAss Slotus. Drained the rest of the water out of the block and radiator, and then decided my hands and feet were cold so I went back in. The shop is wood frame and aluminum siding, no insulation or heat. It was bloody cold in there! (At least I wasn't worried about Shop Snake in that weather!)

David-
Refer back to the part about staying inside near the woodstove. Nope, didn't go sledding... Or dragging a sled down the bikepath... Did make some damn fine Brunswick Stew in the crock pot though! :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 2:07 pm 

not quite made freezing temps here but my wife works on the Indian reservation which is a little higher than here and it has snowed there.

i won't go out in the shop until the temp reaches 50 deg.

it hasn't rained here since last year!

PostPosted: January 4, 2018, 4:27 pm 
The voice of reason

That would be this storm I think! Ellie waves after I tell her it's JD's fault! :rofl:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 234, 235, 236, 237, 238, 239, 240 ... 316  Next