LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 6:13 pm 

Hello all
Recieved my motor and trans yesterday. I was expecting trans to be large but its huge!!!Luckily my build is wider and taper starts later in cockpit so I'll still manage. Trans is also taller than expected and shifter is quite high. I've read alot about people setting oil pan sump below lower rails but I didn't really want to do that. I'm planning ride height around 5" and thought that was low enough already. Pictures show sump 3/4" below rails and bellhousing an equal amount. Any comments appreciated.
Phil

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: August 29, 2007, 6:38 pm 
Compared to T5 the T56 is HUGE. Dosn't look like you will have any need to extend the shifter rearward. You might look at the Explorer rear cover, with your frame it wouldn't be hard to do mounts and the type you used is a known weak point leading to major carnage. I believe the plasic manifold is semetrical I would probably look at turning it 180 and pointing TB at firewall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2007, 12:54 am 

The manifold is symmetrical... you will need to do something with the oil pressure switch in the back if you want to flip it.

You can also get a shorter shifter... that will help with the height problem on the shifter. Common mods on the stock shifter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2007, 6:50 am 

oddly enough that shifter is exactly where most "race car drivers" would want it, shortest possible distance away from the steering wheel. But a short throw will make it more comfortable.

Nice looking build, keep em comin!

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2007, 9:12 am 

Awesome!!!!! That thing is going to be crazy. I wouldn't be afraid to drop that sump an inch below the bottom rail, if it bothers you then build a skid plate to protect it. If you bottom out that hard with your desired 5" of suspension travel (in bump) then you have greater concerns since you are likely no longer on the pavement. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 2, 2007, 2:00 pm 

mmm ls1

so tasty.

looks sooo good.

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 12:25 am 

hi
Been away at my brothers wedding in BC for a while. Got the chassis pretty well welded,motor mounted and I'm starting to sort out the front end and headers

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 21, 2007, 3:30 pm 

looks awesome!! keep th epics and updates coming. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 27, 2007, 3:17 pm 

Made up and mounted the upper control arms. Mocked up the driveshaft and front driveshaft loop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 28, 2007, 4:54 am 

Wish I had those widows in my shop :shock: . The view too!

Rod

http://s124.photobucket.com/albums/p3/beergodrod/
Now building a 1953 Chevy 1 ton panel with Frito Lay truck parts and a Cummins 4BTA
and a 1963 Nova SS

Post subject:
PostPosted: October 31, 2007, 11:37 am 

Hey, I know you've already welded around it, but the F-body shifter for the t-56 sits lower and forward from the GTO shifter you've got. I don't know if you'd have to swap tailhousings to change over, though.

The whole profile of the F-body cars was much shorter than the Goat. The tailhousing is pretty much flush with the trans tunnel so the shifter sits directly on the butt of the tranny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 4, 2007, 8:55 pm 

Fall again,
In preparation for our long winter I decided my shop needed a good cleaning out. I also wanted to paint my build table as it was getting a bit ratty. Between hailstorms I wheeled the car outside for some shots. I'm always amazed when I put the car on the ground by how much smaller it seems.
Note where the chain in the windsheild is. The wheelbase turned out to be 106". My CG is currently back of the centerline of the vehicle at about 51" from the rear axle centerline. Mind you I haven't mounted the steering rack,steering shaft,headers or rad and engine is dry. On the other hand the battery(just behind passenger seat), fuel cell and fuel and my Lard Ass aren't in it yet either. I'm thinking the weight distribution will actually be towards the rear maybe 45%F/55%R when finished and I'm sitting in it.
My Qa1s are 1 set double adjustable , 1 set single adjustable. I'm hoping that way I can set up one end of the car. get the other set revalved in extension and then set up the other end of the car. I'm happy with the travel on the front suspension at about 3.5" either side of ride height, but getting it required mounting the shock at near a 50 deg. angle.
Hence my 300 Lb/in springs seem a bit soft. I'll probably up them to about 450. The rears seem good at 40 deg and 300 Lb but they do limit the travel to about 6" total (I have them mounted to allow 3.5" compression and 2.5" of extension). If I could do it again I'd probably opt for the longer shocks that have more travel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 6, 2007, 4:09 am 

That is looking amazing.

Please adopt me.

"the all-consuming time-sucking car, which I really enjoy working on" -KB

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 7, 2007, 11:18 am 

Shoot, your house looks amazing, and you car looks SICK. You are really moving too. This is going to be fun watching you build this.

Now......it looks like you have two VERY CAPABLE camera girls there! I demand more pictures now that I know you have a camera crew with you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

J. R.

PS no really.....more pics :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: November 23, 2007, 5:32 pm 

Finished puting the headers back together . I'm pleased with how well they turned out. Finished up the pedal box for now. I was hoping to be able to try out the clutch setup, but the slave cylinder has a strange propriatary GM hydraulic fitting on it , and it is difficult to find one. I'll probably have to wait until the engine is out and I split the trans from the engine to replace it with an AN fitting. Started to make my harness mounts. Harder than it looks! There is a lot of conflicting info out there on correct mounting methods. Any comments on shoulder mounting on rollbar welcomed.

Phil

Last edited by pmatolcsy on November 23, 2007, 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next