LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 11:21 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: January 30, 2018, 9:00 am 
We are Slotus!

john hennessy wrote:
lucky b'stard, (to use the french term)
Whoa, careful there... I read your comments to Bubba. He jumped up out of his armchair, grabbed a 7/8 open end wrench like a weapon and said, "Did he just call us FRENCH?!?!?" I told him no, that you had only called us b*stards. "Well, OK then..." He sat back down. "Whut's fer lunch?" :rofl:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: January 30, 2018, 11:53 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
"Did he just call us FRENCH?!?!?"

Yup, the only time I say "oui, oui" is when i'm going to the toilet.

PostPosted: January 30, 2018, 9:57 pm 

today my Jaguar would not start.
i needed some of that Australian starting fluid, oh whats it called, that's it "start yer b'stard", works every time.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 10:13 am 
We are Slotus!

Gentlemen, I have a confession to make. I lied to y'all. Didn't mean to, but I did.

Latest reports confirm that I ain't very good at dodging bullets after all.

That new leakdown (LD) tester TWWTFM ordered from Amazon didn't have the right size adapter to fit my Ford spark plug holes. Earl loaned me a hose with matching quick connect on the upper end and a Ford sized fitting on the lower end. Said hose came from his compression tester. What I noticed yesterday when I was packing it up to return it to him was that the comp tester had a Schrader valve (did I spell that right? Like the valve in a tire.) in side the spark plug end. My LD tester hose did not.

So, I had tested the leakdown on the schrader valve and NOT the cylinders in the DogAss Slotus...

I removed the valve and re-did the LD test. Started with #4 again, the one that was obviously "hot" at the track day. I could hear air hissing out and feel it coming out the exhaust port. Same for #3. #2 had less LD, but obviously hissing air. #1 was loudly leaking air, but not out either port. It seemed to be coming out the front of the engine. Thinking on that a minute, I guessed I had a hole in a piston and it was leaking/hissing out into the bottom of the block.

I wrote down numbers, but don't have them with me. Suffice it to say that the LD percentages were high. I recall the input pressure on several cylinders was about 80lbs and the cylinder pressure was more like 15.

#5 hissed air out the exhaust, and #6 leaked into the block like #1. I stopped there. Cylinders 7 and 8 are hard to reach and I had enough evidence to prove my point anyway.

As the great David Hobbs would say, "She done blowed up real good." :BH:
Alllll Righty then, show of hands, who is up for rebuilding an engine??? *crickets*

Hmmm... Wonder what a set of aluminum cylinder heads would cost??? Gotta take the old ones off, replace valves anyway... Time, labor... Parts... Machine shop fees... Or...

Pair of brand new assembled aluminum heads... Hmmm... TWWTFM is gonna kill me dead twice. And I'm gonna owe my soul (Plus interest) to Mastercard.... :twisted:

Stay tuned, many pictures of disassembled engine parts to follow...
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 11:03 am 

JD,
Why not just get a "good" junkyard engine to use while you slowly build a strong engine and spread the cost out. At least you can race SLOTUS while the "good" engine is being built. Just a thought.
Dave

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 11:57 am 

I thought those earlier measurements were too good to be true.

I'd just pull the heads and take a look-see before deciding. It could be that you can get away with replacing a few valves and a valve job. Of course, it could be a whole lot worse. You won't know for certain until you do a bit more investigation. If you do have a hole in the piston, a new-to-you engine just might be in order.

As to how much aluminum heads cost, "Speed = Money. How fast do you want to go?" :mrgreen:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 12:19 pm 

rx7locost wrote:

I'd just pull the heads and take a look-see before deciding.

Yup, all your problems might all be fixed with just a cheap head job JD.

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 12:35 pm 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
Yup, all your problems might all be fixed with just a cheap head job JD.
And there you go! We actually got to the third post before going in the gutter! :cheers:

Or was that a legit comment, and it's just me going in the gutter???

Either way, I wind up in the gutter. Whot th' 'ell??? :mrgreen:

I'm gonna do some more tearin' down and looking later today. We'll see what the inside of the cylinders and the valves look like.

Junkyard motor might be in order... That's three items to run by TWWTFM. Can she kill me that many times? Will it still hurt?

Peace, Love and "Domestic Violence Victim"-
JDK

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 3:52 pm 

Might also be an opportunity to change religions. Bat for the other side. Switch hit.

You know...

Lots of good LS engines out there?

Louisville, KY
Hayes front, S10 +2 rear, Lalo body.

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 4:25 pm 

JD, sorry to hear your engine woes (whoa's) continue. At least you know the Shrader valve was good!
Pull those heads off and see what really happened inside. Not too big an effort, and if you scrap that motor you don't have to put them back on.

And you could show this page to TWWTFM
https://performanceparts.ford.com/engines/#302
and then if you go the junkyard motor route she would think you were a genius at saving money.

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: February 4, 2018, 6:23 pm 
Toyotaphobe

AFR heads work very nice on that engine. I've done a few of them. And they save you over 1,000# so you might have to do some ballasting to keep the front end on the ground.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 8:39 am 

geek49203 wrote:

Lots of good LS engines out there?

Sheez, are you kidding, why would anyone want a lighter, cheaper, more powerful engine?

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 9:51 am 
We are Slotus!

cheapracer wrote:
Sheez, are you kidding, why would anyone want a lighter, cheaper, more powerful engine?
Ohhh, several reasons... It's not really lighter, the LS series weighs about 450 to 500 lbs, the 5.0 comes in pretty much the same. You can add aluminum heads and such to either one and go lighter still. Cheaper? Maybe... With the demand for LS engines by various mad scientists around the globe, I think you can probably source a 5.0 for less. More powerful... Well, yeah, sort of... Throw enough money at either one and you can make entirely too much horsepower.

And then there's the size factor, or really the width. The LS motor is a good bit wider than the Ford. I'd have to rebuild the chassis of the Slotus to fit in LS in it at this point.

Besides, my buddy, co-builder and (now) son-in-law Earl is a Ford mechanic. :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 10:26 am 

"It's dead, Jim."

Your best bet would be to look for a used car or wreck with a 5.0 and scavenge the engine out of that. You could almost certainly do it for cheaper than gaskets and machine work on what you have.

PostPosted: February 5, 2018, 11:06 am 

TRX wrote:
"It's dead, Jim."

Your best bet would be to look for a used car or wreck with a 5.0 and scavenge the engine out of that. You could almost certainly do it for cheaper than gaskets and machine work on what you have.

While it probably is cheaper, there will always be that big ? about what you might get. Iffin' it was mine, I'd be tired of all the DNF's and want to know what I put in my car. But they are Slotus, where's the fun in having a "known" when you can tempt the gods of luck? :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 238, 239, 240, 241, 242, 243, 244 ... 316  Next