LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: February 9, 2018, 7:02 pm 

After lots of cutting, welding and grinding, there's a new header.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 14, 2019, 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 10, 2018, 2:45 am 
The voice of reason

Wow Ron, that looks like a nice job. Nice merge pieces and well laid out.

Quote:
After lots of cutting, welding and grinding, there's a new header.

Really that's all? My process involves steps called cursing, daydreaming, possible bleeding and almost certainly a variety of bruising, burning or shocking too. :rofl:

:cheers:

PostPosted: February 10, 2018, 7:17 am 

While I've made the merge sections previously, I cheated on this one and bought these from SPDexhaust (where the port flange was obtained also).

PostPosted: February 10, 2018, 1:40 pm 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Ron!
Nice work, Sir, really nice work!

horizenjob wrote:
My process involves steps called cursing, daydreaming, possible bleeding and almost certainly a variety of bruising, burning or shocking too.
Marcus, How did we manage to go to the same welding class and not meet? :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 10, 2018, 9:20 pm 

Hey JD, thanks for dropping by. Glad you're able to get through to the forum lately. Keep after that SBF, that car will be making you grin soon enough.

Todays accomplishment was an adapter for the Electromotive crank position wheel to the front of the harmonic balancer (I did not want to have to remove the balancer to mount it on the back, where the stock one is located. With the trigger wheel in position, the sensor holder done last week was drilled for the mag sensor. That's almost it for plumbing the electrons around the engine compartment.
Next week, the fuel system.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 14, 2019, 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 15, 2018, 5:44 pm 

The fuel system is plumbed and wired for business. This time the surge tank is going to be external to the fuel cell and for initial stationary tuning it will be fed by only one of the low pressure pumps. Since the stock ECU isn't being used (that controls the fuel pressure by pump modulation), the pressure regulation is being done by an '05 Ranger filter/regulator. The pump is a Carter P5000.
The exhaust system has been completed down to the muffler. A 90* bend will be added after a rear fender is installed.
A shift tower/lever assembly was fabbed out of bits and pieces aluminum and an RX7 short shifter kit.
On to the cooling system.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 14, 2019, 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 15, 2018, 6:19 pm 
Mid-Engined Maniac

Are all those inline fuel components going to be completely shielded from the passenger compartment?

PostPosted: February 15, 2018, 6:39 pm 

Yes, that side of the car will be covered by a panel from the top of the tunnel to the right flank. No passengers allowed (for now). If I decide to convert it for passengers, all of that stuff can be crammed behind the rear firewall. They were placed here for easy access and that's the way I've been running the Caterham.
The passenger prohibition isn't obvious in that photo because the triangulation bar across that area was unbolted, but it can be seen in other pics. Look closely at the 3rd pic on Jan 18th.

PostPosted: February 18, 2018, 3:37 pm 

Progress on the cooling system. Since the expansion tank won't make it here until next week, this is how it looks now. A 12" electric fan was mounted to the chassis and ducted forward to the separately mounted Civic rad from CXracing. They also were the source for the aluminum tube straight and 45 degree sections. My friends at O'reilly let me go through the hose rack to find ones with sizes, bends and lengths best suited to get from A to B. The brass fitting in the upper hose is where the sending unit for the temp gage will be installed. It only took three hoses to get what was needed (I already had the 90* bend at the pedals).
While the connections at the engine and rad will be clamped with worm clamps, all the other joints were done using Gates heat shrink clamps.

For the record, the hoses used are:
Gates 21970 for the bottom rad inlet with bend and transition to 1 1/2" for the aluminum pipe.
Gates 22627 for inlet to water pump with a 100* bend.
Gates 22037 for outlet at rear of engine with an S bend to jog around the throttle body.

Last edited by seven13bt on December 14, 2019, 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 20, 2018, 8:37 pm 
Always Moore!

Are you using the stock intake?

PostPosted: February 20, 2018, 10:40 pm 

Yes, to begin with. I may switch to something else later, like you did. The dyno sheets favor the stock manifold for the bottom end, so I want to get some experience there first.

Last edited by seven13bt on February 21, 2018, 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: February 21, 2018, 8:22 am 
We are Slotus!

seven13bt wrote:
...the bottom end, so I want to get some experience there first.
Insert "Fat Bottom Girls" video here. :mrgreen:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: February 21, 2018, 10:35 am 

HaHa, we're just doing our job here. We "Tee" them up and JD hits them out of the park. :?

PostPosted: February 21, 2018, 1:08 pm 

damn seven! Awesome progress! I take a bit of a break and you almost complete your build in a month? Its looking awesome man, cant wait to see it again.

PostPosted: February 21, 2018, 2:19 pm 

Hey Loki, remember I'm cheating since I get six Saturdays a week. Let me know when you're over this way and drop in for a closer look.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 182 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13  Next