LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 6:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 96  Next
PostPosted: May 29, 2017, 12:33 pm 

Marcus, that is an elegant driveshaft tunnel you have drawn. But alas, I don't have the right shaped stump in the backyard to pound one out, even with the ss mixing bowl adaptation. :cry:

I have been mocking up a flat-topped tunnel to check for fit, though. No pics yet, but after extensive vroom-vroom testing it seems to work. At 12" above the floor it provides a nice arm rest and decent launch pad positioning. I have some 1" x 0.049" round tube that could be used for the upper tunnel rails which would soften the edges a bit. At 5 5/8" wide, it would enclose the safety hoops and accommodate the driveshaft offset.

Interestingly, at 12" high, the flat tunnel top would provide a continuous flat surface from the dash, under the shifter boot through to the cockpit rear panel, and not require a bulge or salad bowl at the at the diff end. The side panels at the front-end could either dead-head into the plane of the dash support tubes as you have drawn or flair to meet the footwell side panels. At the diff end, the side panels would have to pooch out a bit to accommodate the diff nose mount. This could be a bit ugly but would be hidden behind the seats.

In looking at your drawing, I was reminded of the cockpit brace connection on the lower dash tube. I haven't added that yet. As my shifter is pretty close to the dash, the connection point may have to move to the right a bit for clearance. The cockpit brace wouldn't line up perfectly with the W-brace, but would be close. I'll need to study that.

In the meantime, I'll clean up my tunnel mock-up and post some pics of tunnel v3.0

My Car9 build: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=14613
"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

Ultima Spyder, Northstar 4.0, Porsche G50/52

PostPosted: May 30, 2017, 7:22 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
the side panels would have to pooch out a bit
Tom, for the benefit of the younger, less experienced builders and -dare I say it- those of us less worldly than yourself, I'd like to ask you not to use such highly technical engineering terms in your build log. :mrgreen:

Peace, Love and "Just a Smidgen" -
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 14, 2017, 8:58 pm 

Any news, Tom? We haven't heard from you in a long time!

PostPosted: November 14, 2017, 9:20 pm 

Ditto

PostPosted: November 14, 2017, 9:35 pm 

esp42089 wrote:
Any news, Tom? We haven't heard from you in a long time!
Esp and Larry, thanks for asking. I'm still here, but the project's been mostly asleep since my post last May (It's been that long? :shock: ) Summer activities, some unanticipated grand-parenting duties and a major bathroom remodel this fall all took their toll on my garage time. You know, "Life..." But I'm close to getting back to it. I even had a stubby driveshaft made so I can focus on getting the tunnel done. And I've have been checking-in on the forum regularly. But I still need to get the garage cleaned up, then back at it.

"It's the construction of the car-the sheer lunacy and joy of making diverse parts come together and work as one-that counts."

PostPosted: November 14, 2017, 11:52 pm 

I didn't want you to get away with finishing it and driving it around without at least 1 video of it starting up for us. That would have been a travesty! I will eagerly await more updates as we come into prime garage season. :D

PostPosted: November 15, 2017, 12:35 am 

Hey Tom,
I'm pretty sure it's an awesome bathroom re-do. You could do nothing less. Fully understand the 'life gets ion the way' thing. Still don't have any interior stuff done
As far as getting that beast running be sure and give the other Larry, Justin and myself plenty of time to get there. I don't think fireworks will be necessary.
Cheers!

PostPosted: November 15, 2017, 8:04 am 
We are Slotus!

benny_toe wrote:
I don't think fireworks will be necessary.
I'm gonna have to disagree with that statement, Larry... If not actual sky-rockets, then maybe the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders with sparklers? (Hell, I'd make the trip to see that! Oh, yeah, and Tom's car too...) :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: November 16, 2017, 2:07 am 

JD, I really like the way you think. But no goats please, just the cheerleaders.

However Tom's car will be a distraction to the rest of the show.

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 1:35 am 

My nine-month sabbatical is over and I’m back in the garage. As is appropriate when re-kindling a relationship with a lady one’s been ignoring, it was appropriate to bring my build gifts. In this case it was a nice shiny set of rocker arm covers and fuel rails. Here’s the covers installed, the fuel rails not yet added:
Attachment:
P2264696-1.jpg

Fresh momentum was needed as I kind of lost track of where I was in the build, so several small tasks that had frustrated me earlier were first up. One was re-doing the throttle pedal (iteration #4, I think.) Now when I put the “pedal to the metal” it doesn’t actually touch the metal. Trickier than it looks as the foot well is narrow, the tranny-side panel sets at an angle and the pedal swings upwards.
Attachment:
P2194693-1.jpg
Attachment:
P2194691-1.jpg

The fuel tank had been shipped from the factory with AN-8 fittings instead of the -6 fittings ordered. They had sent the replacements, but I hadn’t gotten around to making the conversion. So got that done, and then made up some fuel lines to connect the in-tank plumbing to the filter/regulator. Also bought a length of Earl’s Vapor Guard fuel line to run from the regulator to the fuel rails.
Attachment:
P2264697-1.jpg

A 14” driveshaft was ordered and installed. Once the safety hoops are mounted I’ll be able to finish up the tunnel framework.
Attachment:
P6294575-1.jpg
Attachment:
P6294576-1.jpg

Even with the high cockpit sides on Car9, curved arches just above the rear fenders needed to be added. I wanted the arches to continue the 1.5” tube profile used in the cockpit upper rail for side panel continuity. The arches have a roughly 16” centerline radius, so a tube roller was required. JerryH kindly offered use of his HF unit and the job was done. Note of caution here, I used 1.5” x 0.065” DOM tube for the non-structural arches. This was tough stuff to roll in the HF tube roller. If I had to do it again I would have used softer tubing, probably 1.5" exhaust tubing.

Here’s the driver’s side arch with coped ends. I decided to use the harness bar for the high point of the arch. It will also be the high point for the sloping rear boot, so there will be more non-structural tubing added on the way aft. The cardboard cutout shows the fender outline and the tire circumference.
Attachment:
P2264698-1.jpg
Attachment:
P2264699-1.jpg

Adding the eye-candy to the motor convinced me that the nose cone needs to be lengthened about 5”. The scuttle is already full length, no hood is planned and the nose has been widened about 6”. The problem is making a male mold for the extension that keeps the lines between the scuttle and the nose cone true and fair. I’ll probably build a plywood bulkhead closest to the motor that sets the loft lines at that station and then fill forward to the nose cone with either formed aluminum sheet or a carved foam block. Glassing will need to be done in situ to hold the shape together. I’m looking for suggestions on how to do this. I’d like to minimize the amount of bondo need to get the shape right after the glass is laid.
Attachment:
P2264700-1.jpg

Its good to be back in the garage :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by seattletom on June 2, 2020, 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 8:06 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
Its good to be back in the garage
I, for one (and a half?), am realllllly glad you're back at it Tom. We have missed ya around here! Perhaps seeing your progress will provide inspiration for me to get off my lazy backside and go work on that car in my shop... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 3:58 pm 

Been waiting for some time to see that Car9 on the road. Good to see it's going forward again.

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 6:47 pm 

seattletom wrote:
My nine-month sabbatical is over and I’m back in the garage.
Great news! Since it could easily be another year or so before I'll be ready to say the same, in the mean time it'll be nice to resume living vicariously through you. :cheers:

"Orville Wright did not have a pilots license." - Gordon MacKenzie

PostPosted: February 27, 2018, 9:08 pm 

Good to see you back at it. Great workmanship!

PostPosted: February 28, 2018, 1:44 pm 

Yes, it's good to see you back. You say," . . . Fresh momentum was needed as I kind of lost track of where I was in the build . . ." How well I know that feeling, Tom. I even write up notes in a log book, but it takes a few days before all the details come back, but they do come back.

It's next week for me to get back on mine - God willing, and the creek don't rise. :roll:

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1436 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 69, 70 ... 96  Next