LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 4:38 pm 

Beautiful work John.

PostPosted: September 6, 2017, 4:45 pm 

JSArmstrong wrote:
A truly awesome build!! Thank you for the updates John, what thickness Ali did you use to do the sump modifications?

Thanks!

I used 3/16" thick 6061-T6. The stock pan measured about 0.120-0.140" in most spots, so I added a little bit for safety. You lose the T6 heat treat during weld, but the aluminum is still very strong and malleable (rather than brittle) so I think it's pretty safe. I also used 4043 rod - recommended for welding to cast aluminum. I did a quick "cleaning" pass and then wire brush before performing the actual weld with filler rod. Seemed to work really well and I had no issues welding to the previously oil-soaked pan.

PostPosted: September 7, 2017, 9:19 pm 

I know you're not truly "finished", John, but did you put yours in the "Finished Builds" thread? It's a great example, and I think it definitely should be there as a terrific inspiration for potential builders. On-going improvements could still go here, I'd think.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:14 pm 

Once again, it's been a really long time since I updated the build log.

Last Fall I had an window in the weather to get the new engine on the dyno - I only had about 700-miles on the engine, and still had the break-in oil in the crankcase. See results below: very noticeable increase in the area under the torque curve - it adds a solid 1000-rpm of usable power - pulls harder after 4k, and the power doesn't flatten out until around 6700.

I did this dyno run early because I wanted a before/after with the new manifold I was going to make over the Winter.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:24 pm 

After much design work, I committed to build a manifold from scratch using a cast aluminum base flange, with machined and welded runners and plenum. All designed to use the stock throttle body, and run on the stock ECU.

I cast the base flange from scrap 6061-T6 aluminum I had from the shop using the lost wax technique. I first printed two individual port sections of the base flange, machined and siamesed them into a single model for casting. I then made a multi-core silicone rubber mold that enabled me to pour duplicate wax models and then invested those wax models in a plaster/silica investment (plaster). The wax is then melted out of the plaster investment using a wallpaper steamer, leaving a void in the investment to pour molten aluminum into.

I used a home-made crucible furnace to smelt the aluminum, and it worked great!

I cast two of the two-port sections and then machined and pinned them together to create the base flange of the manifold.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:28 pm 

Next I machined the runners and plenum base with trumpet inlets out of aluminum. Here you see it assembled before welding, tacked in place for fit-check in the car, and clearance under the bonnet. The runner lengths are very similar in length to what I'd have with a good IRTB setup, and the plenum is the same displacement as the engine.

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:30 pm 

Here's the throttle cable bracket detail, and final assembly with cold-air intake at the firewall.

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:37 pm 

I wanted to make a unique intake in the bonnet, and decided to do something similar to what I've seen Donkervoort use on some of their turbo inlets.

I used my CNC router to make a forming die out of MDF to hammer-form the aluminum wire screen into. Then I made a backing ring and riveted it to the bonnet. I'm happy with how it looks and functions.

The new intake has a good honk to it, and now the engine revs freely up to the 7200-rpm rev limit. I have not dyno'd it yet, but seat of the pants feels like another 5-7 hp up top, with a linear torque curve - as before it wakes up around 4000-rpm and then pulls strong all the way up.

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:42 pm 

With the new intake I wanted to clean up the fuel system a bit - I made a simple fuel rail and added a better adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

And with the intake at the rear of the car, I was now able to mount a larger radiator up front. I chose a scirocco style crossflow unit, and couldn't be happier. Even without proper baffling around the radiator, the intake temps are stable and right at 193°F - exactly what the thermostat is rated at.

PostPosted: May 31, 2018, 11:49 pm 

I ended up having to replace the front main seal on the crank due to some freak issue with a brand new seal that started leaking like crazy. As long as I had the timing belt off, I decided to install a cheap set of adjustable cam gears that a friend had given me years ago. Honestly, I should have just installed these when I built the motor...

I haven't played with them yet, but I'm thinking I might be able to move the power down a little bit lower by advancing them some, and perhaps even find a bit more power from the stock cams by playing with overlap. With how well the engine is running on the stock ECU, I'm curious if I can possibly hit the 150-whp mark - so far it's running very strong, and it behaves extremely well in all weather conditions - and it's been as reliable as a stock miata.

PostPosted: June 1, 2018, 6:41 am 

John, You have done a truly inspiring work, both at building this car and at communicating your experience. You are operating at a rare quality level. Thank you for taking the time to share all this with us. :cheers:

PostPosted: June 1, 2018, 9:20 am 

Ditto phil above.

Cheers,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: June 1, 2018, 9:31 am 

Looking good!

A question, though: You went printed pattern > silicone mold > wax cores. Was there some reason you didn't just print the cores directly with PLA, or were you just staying with the process you were most familiar with?

PostPosted: June 1, 2018, 9:59 am 

WOW ! Any more info on the casting method ? I'd be interested to see the furnace . I have an injection burner powerful enough for forging, maybe I can make it work for this type of deal ?

PostPosted: June 1, 2018, 10:33 am 

Thanks for the compliments, guys. I'm happy to share; this forum gave me the motivation to do this project in the first place.

LonnieS - I'll take your suggestion and try and get a post in the "completed build" section soon. I think this car will always be a work-in-progress, but it's finally feeling pretty well dialed in.

TRX - I did lost wax because I was familiar with the process (another hobby of mine is glass casting, for art). My printer is a Form1+, and the castable resin is too expensive for big parts like these - the standard resin doesn't burn out nearly as well as PLA does (from what I've read - I've never done a PLA burnout). This was by far the most complex mold I've done, and it was fun to figure out how to do it.

niko - I'll post some pictures of the furnace and burner I built soon. I'm guessing you could totally use your forge burner. Mine is a smaller copy of a T-Rex burner that I made just to see if it would work. It melts ~6-lb of aluminum in about 30-minutes from a cold start.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next