LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 28, 2024, 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Birth of Long John
PostPosted: April 7, 2018, 10:38 am 

Long John wrote:
... Spirit Cars is in Flippin by Mtn. Home. That may be a good place to Cruze to for the Sevens. Bob Custer (BC) is old school cool and is very accodateing ...

Know what you mean. Recently met Bob 'Chester'! He bought the house next door to my Son & D.I.L. here in Gainesville. Very cool guy! Everybody around here Knows Spirit Cars. They were HQ'd in Mountain Home for a while, and MH has a very active street rod community!

PostPosted: April 7, 2018, 11:01 am 

RichardSIA wrote:
Just to provide a hint of my affection for outlandish builds.
Long ago I tried to buy a retired engineless Rail from a guy who had it in his attic.
He would not sell, but did make it into a BARBECUE PIT! :shock:
Grill set where the engine belonged.

MY hope had been to put a mild engine into it, rig some lights and cooling, get temporary registration, then make just one or maybe two LEGAL passes past the local PD who were so into hassling the kids out cruising.

For what you are doing my question becomes, where is the second engine? :chev: :chev:
Seems you should have room, and it's been done before so can be done again. :mrgreen:

You mean like the "Priapism"?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 7, 2018, 1:16 pm 

That's the way to do it, but with the OP's posted intent that would be two blower engines.
Using two means no need for any other expensive speed parts to achieve more power than can be put to the ground. :twisted:

PostPosted: April 7, 2018, 4:16 pm 

I wasn't in to the twin motor dragsters back in the day. when i was working with Pete Robinson weight was the main concern so that was to heavy. I built my first bucket while I was working with him so I extended the frame a little bit. It had a 144" wheelbase. this one will be a tad longer as I want to sit lower in the car so the axle will be behind me.
Here is a picture taken about 1971.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: April 7, 2018, 6:12 pm 

Pretty Coool! :thmbsup:

PostPosted: April 22, 2018, 12:12 pm 

I got to the shop today and made some progress. Found out it’s easier to notch rectangular tube with a flap wheel than a notcher. Got them fitted pretty good. Needed to get frame taper figured so I can get the angle for the front tube for torsion tube as I can’t get the notcher on with the tubes welded together.
Set the torsion bar and rack up for looks. The frame width at front looks like it will be 10” and the width at firewall will be 26 1/2” and length is 8’! Think wheelbase will be around 160”.

PostPosted: April 24, 2018, 12:07 am 

ngpmike wrote:

You mean like the "Priapism"?

Ouch! :oops: :oops:

PostPosted: July 28, 2018, 9:39 pm 

I have not fallen off the face of the earth. Just not much progress. Been bad hot in Oklahoma.
I have gotten the tubes mostly tacked in. Just need the diagonals cut and tacked. I got my frame table out of storage so I can tie the frame down and finish welding.
Just tried to send a pictures but the damn camera lost them! I hate this thing. Will try to find find them or take more.

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 2:34 pm 

Hi Long John,

I just read your thread for the first time. Welcome, I look forward to watching your build.

I really liked the 1971 picture that you posted earlier. It is a very neat, period looking car...took me back to some great memories from those years. I also really liked the McDonalds in the background. Where was the picture taken? That must have been one of the first McDonalds.

Bill

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 7:25 pm 

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Hi Long John,

I just read your thread for the first time. Welcome, I look forward to watching your build.

I really liked the 1971 picture that you posted earlier. It is a very neat, period looking car...took me back to some great memories from those years. I also really liked the McDonalds in the background. Where was the picture taken? That must have been one of the first McDonalds.

Bill

Thanks Bill. That picture was taken in ‘71 or ‘72 in Atlanta Georgia about 2 Miles from the house I grew up in. Don’t remember the first McDonalds I saw but that is a very early one. Thanks for watching my build.

PostPosted: July 29, 2018, 7:34 pm 

Got the frame table leveled within 0.1 degrees. That is closer than any streets I’m likely to drive on. When it got to 94 in the shop I called it quits!

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 9:58 pm 

Hi John, welcome.
As you will see, not everyone here is building a 4 cylinder lotus seven replica, most do but you will meet all kinds of builders with a wide range of experience and knowledge, building front engine rear drives, mid engines, trikes, bike engine sevens, restorations, etc. The discussions for the most part are always interesting and in my twelve years experience with this forum I have found a great feeling of camaraderie . I myself have built one VW Jeta powered seven which is on the road and I am building now a 6 cylinder corvair rear engine seven which I hope to complete within the coming two years (retirement pace). Altogether what I enjoy most is the challenges these projets present to us, in other words what I like first is the designing/building process. Good luck with long john, keep us posted :cheers:

PostPosted: July 30, 2018, 10:46 pm 

I sure will Phil. I love this site. I get very little response from the T bucket site I also post on. I was going to build a Locost. I went to a show in Atlanta and was gung hoe for that. Then I saw Kurt’s Midlana so I bought his book and started collecting parts but then I found a supercharger drive produced by Pete Robinson. I was a donk for him until he died qualifying for the Winternationals in Pomona in 1971 I think. That brought me back the world of front engine dragsters so now I’m in to deep to change!

PostPosted: July 31, 2018, 11:14 pm 

I had some good weather today and got some progress. I spent almost 10 hours notching 2 tubes to make the torsion tube perpendicular to the centerline and level to the ground. I would not look forward to doing that again. At least it is starting to look like a car now. I will get the diagonals tacked before I weld in the front tube.

Last edited by Long John on August 7, 2018, 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: August 1, 2018, 10:34 am 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
You're doing a great job getting those fish mouths nice and tight. I can't seem to manage to get two square tubes lined up right!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next