LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently March 29, 2024, 2:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: August 5, 2018, 7:45 am 

"Gotta raise 'em up right, don't we Bill/BBlue?"

We sure do. Don't let them get a clue there is any other way.

Bill

PostPosted: August 7, 2018, 5:59 pm 

god man this is barbarick!!!

marking the pistons with a sharpie is not the way to go, number punches are! also with the rods and caps, numbers and direction

if you were paying attention, you would have not fitted the piston upside down because the rod has to face one way on the crank and the gap between the rods would have been wrong unless you fitted the piston to the rod the wrong way round, in which case you need to remove the piston and rod.
now look at the rod, there is a bevel on the side of the rod which must face the web of the crank so that it clears the radius on the end of the journal, if you fit the rod the wrong way round it will bind on the radius and be pushed over towards the adjoining rod.

every time you fit a piston, check the torque required to turn the crank! then if it goes higher than expected you will know there is something a miss.

if you are having trouble, stop, walk away, the race doesn't start till you cross the beam, you have plenty of time to get it right.

on another point, did you screw the main studs in finger tight or tight with a tool of some sort, they should only be finger tight.
did you use locktite on the studs into the block, if you did you must torque the nuts down before it hardens.

head gaskets, there are different thickness gaskets, get one thinner than you are going to use and put play doh on the piston, now fit the head and the lifters and the pushrods and the rockers and turn the motor over in both directions.

if you are using hydraulic lifters then you will need to remove the valve springs and fit checking springs or find yourself a solid lifter of the same dimentions as the hydraulic ones when they are pumped up.

remove the head and measure the thickness of the play doh in the valve reliefs.

do not forget you are using different heads, different valves, different rockers, different pushrods and a different head gasket, this is very important especially with a roller cam as the ramps are steeper than a flat tappet cam.

if the clearance is too tight, then you can select a thicker head gasket.

when you have the correct minimum clearance, look at the rocker arm path across the valve and the angle of the rocker at valve fully open and fully shut, you may need to shim under the rocker post to suit the push rod length so that the path is even across the tip of the valve about its center line.

if there is a bias, then it should be towards the outer edge of the valve as when it lifts, it will move towards the center of the engine and in doing so, opens the valve which requires compressing the valve spring which increases the load on the tip of the valve, you are trying to get the maximum load as close to the center of the valve as possible at max lift whilst not running too far off the center of the tip when closed

no coating on the head gaskets or the block or the heads they must be free to expand and contract.( iron and aluminum)

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: August 8, 2018, 9:32 am 
We are Slotus!

Quote:
god man this is barbarick!!!
Yup, Barbaric is us... I'm pretty sure my ancestors sacked your ancestors' village around 1100 or so...
Attachment:
Hagar.jpg
My 19XGreat Grandfather.

Quote:
marking the pistons with a sharpie is not the way to go, number punches are! also with the rods and caps, numbers and direction
I'm sure you're right. I have a sharpie.

Quote:
if you were paying attention
Pretty obvious I wasn't. I was more involved in fighting with the ring compressor. James and I had a discussion about assembling pistons/rods which pretty much followed your comments. I took the whole mess apart, every rod cap and bearing. I checked the position of the bearings, in case they had gotten out of place when the crank moved during the first assembly attempt. The rods and caps are marked/numbered from the factory. I made sure they were all facing the right way and then re-torqued them one at a time, rotating the crank in between, as you (and James) suggested.

Quote:
on another point, did you screw the main studs in finger tight or tight with a tool of some sort, they should only be finger tight. did you use locktite on the studs into the block
Studs were installed finger tight with a little smear of ARP lube on the threads (not the bottom) as per ARP instructions. I marked them with a silver SHARPIE :twisted: so I could look at them during torque-down and make sure they hadn't moved.

Quote:
head gaskets, there are different thickness gaskets, get one thinner than you are going to use and put play doh on the piston, now fit the head and the lifters and the pushrods and the rockers and turn the motor over in both directions.
I installed the head gasket recommended by Edelbrock in their assembly instructions. That's as far as I've gotten to this point.

I haven't installed any of the rockers or lifters, etc because I don't have a camshaft yet. I will work my way through the rest of the checks you recommend when I get the $$$ together to buy the camshaft.

In the meantime, I'll keep plugging away at it...
Attachment:
New Mechanic at Team Slotus.jpg

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "I Ain't No Mechanic!"
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 11:29 am 

Hey JD, I'd always thought that grease monkeys wore coveralls. I see from the picture above that I was wrong.

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 11:36 am 
We are Slotus!

BHRmotorsport wrote:
Hey JD, I'd always thought that grease monkeys wore coveralls. I see from the picture above that I was wrong.
It was "Pants Optional Day" at the shop. Be glad I didn't take a picture of Bubba... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 12:12 pm 
Toyotaphobe

GonzoRacer wrote:
It was "Pants Optional Day" at the shop. Be glad I didn't take a picture of Bubba... :mrgreen:

You forgot to add "A day like every other here in the tropics"

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 1:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
You forgot to add "A day like every other here in the tropics"
Shhhh.... Did it on purpose... I didn't wanna make all them Canoodians jealous. They might beat me to death with their snow shovels. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 9, 2018, 1:17 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
Gentlemen, rest your sphincters! We've got to protect our phoney baloney jobs! If we let honest, hard working, simple folk in on the truth, they'll hang us from the nearest tree!

I'm reminded of the Great Falcon Engine Fiasco of Orchid Avenue some years back. I was tearing down a Falcon six and had one immovable piston that wanted to remain in it's resting place until the sun implodes some billion years from now... I had other plans. I already had the rest of the pistons, the crank, all the lifters, etc, out of the block and was steadily working my way to a coronary event walloping various thick pieces of wood into the top of the piston trying to force it down, to at least break the tension on the rings, whatever would free it off. Well, it moved. It would go down the bore a millimeter or so, and then back up the same distance. Mind, it had been soaking in various fluids like trans fluid, kerosene, WD40, unicorn blood, anything that might help loosen the death grip between block and piston. Some of my own blood, as well. (I have an unerring ability to miss a 2x4 with a six pound sledge and crush thumbs). Anyway; I was running out of unsplintered pieces of wood, and resorted to (damn it all) a large screwdriver, for some reason. I started having some greater success moving the piston, which by now had no top ring recess left, was probably cracked, and had become a sacrifice to the greater good of getting the block emptied out.

That's when I realized that, most, if not ALL, of that recent movement, had been the screwdriver taking a gouge out of the cylinder wall for almost an inch...... and almost an eighth of an inch deep. All efforts ceased at that moment of realization that, what had been a good candidate for rebuilding had just become about 200 pounds of junk............. pretty much the SOLE REASON I had bought that particular car in the first place.

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 1:55 am 
We are Slotus!

Raccoonman wrote:
Gentlemen, rest your sphincters!
:?: :?: :?: Dude! I don't even know how to respond to that one... :roll: :mrgreen:
Good story though...

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 9:14 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
Raccoonman wrote:
Gentlemen, rest your sphincters!
:?: :?: :?: Dude! I don't even know how to respond to that one... :roll: :mrgreen:

WOW! There's a First!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 1:29 pm 

Location: That point where the humidity and the temperature combine forces to destroy all that is good
WHAT? You've NEVER watched "Blazing Saddles"???? I now has a sad for us all

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 3:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

Raccoonman wrote:
WHAT? You've NEVER watched "Blazing Saddles"???? I now has a sad for us all
I saw it in the theater when it first came out. I've seen it at least a dozen times since. Didn't recall that line. It was Gov LePetomane speaking to his "staff" maybe? I kinda sorta remember... Great movie... Totally tasteless humor. I laughed entirely too much when I first saw it.

JDK

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 5:53 pm 
Toyotaphobe

Interesting Locost forum tidbit. I did a search for Jokes, looking for the Joke thread to post something - the first thing that came up was for your thread.

Hmmm I wonder was it for the plethora of jokes or were they talking about the engine rebuild?

I can explain it to you,

PostPosted: August 10, 2018, 8:45 pm 
We are Slotus!

GonzoRacer wrote:
I saw it in the theater when it first came out. I've seen it at least a dozen times since. Didn't recall that line. It was Gov LePetomane speaking to his "staff" maybe? I kinda sorta remember... Great movie... Totally tasteless humor. I laughed entirely too much when I first saw it.
Nope, it was Hedy, uhhh, make that Hedley Lamarr. Looked it up... Laughed again...

carguy123 wrote:
Hmmm I wonder was it for the plethora of jokes or were they talking about the engine rebuild?
David, perhaps you should rest YOUR sphincter... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: August 11, 2018, 1:05 am 
Toyotaphobe

It must have been the piston smiling and with the others with their raised eyebrows.

I just thought it was interesting that yours was the first thing that came up.

I can explain it to you,

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 251, 252, 253, 254, 255, 256, 257 ... 316  Next