LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 17, 2024, 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: August 29, 2018, 10:53 am 

We're hiding & watching, JD, and hoping for the best.

You've got more stuff goin' on with that engine than a weeks worth of "As the World Turns." Maybe we oughta be thinking about turning this in to a "soapy opera" and getting it on Velocity TV?

Best,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: August 29, 2018, 11:08 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie-
I hope you learned from my experience. Or at least got to point and laugh...

But please, don't mention "soap" where Bubba might hear you. He gets all agitated, thinking it's time for another bath and I wind up having to use one of those tranquilizer darts on him. Those things are expensive, and I've got car parts to buy, ya know?!?!? :mrgreen:

:cheers:
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: August 30, 2018, 1:45 am 

GonzoRacer wrote:
So, off came the 16 bolts and the pan. I put the F*#&ing nut on that F*#&ing stud and tightened it down. Made sure the rubber seals and the gasket pieces were in place and re-installed the pan. Then the F*#&ing 16 bolts went BACK in place. And then it was done.

And on the 7th day he rested. :cheers:

But seriously, if you can ever take me seriously, many years ago when I had hair, an old mechanic told me whenever I screwed up, "If you don't do it right the first time, you'll sure as hell do it right the second time".

And I have survived. :D

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: August 30, 2018, 4:15 pm 

horchoha wrote:
GonzoRacer wrote:
So, off came the 16 bolts and the pan. I put the F*#&ing nut on that F*#&ing stud and tightened it down. Made sure the rubber seals and the gasket pieces were in place and re-installed the pan. Then the F*#&ing 16 bolts went BACK in place. And then it was done.

And on the 7th day he rested. :cheers:

But seriously, if you can ever take me seriously, many years ago when I had hair, an old mechanic told me whenever I screwed up, "If you don't do it right the first time, you'll sure as hell do it right the second time".

And I have survived. :D

One of the only places I ever worked that was not one of our family businesses, the guys had a saying. "We do it right, because we do it twice"....Words of wisdom! The other one was "We'll fix it if it takes every dime they've got", but thats a separate issue....

PostPosted: August 30, 2018, 5:08 pm 

In product development, we say "There is never enough time to do it right. But there always enough time to do it over."

When building my Locost, there were plenty of times that I "did it over" :ack:

JD, That must have been Bubba's "test fit"; before you did the "final assembly". That's always been my response when things like that happen to me. :cheers:

“Any suspension will work if you don’t let it.” - Colin Chapman

Visit my ongoing MGB Rustoration log: over HERE

Or my Wankel powered Locost log : over HERE

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 30, 2018, 7:50 pm 

in the stuff i gave you there is a special socket for turning the crank instead of using the bolt!!!

i hope that you took the top off the oil pump, checked it for cleanliness and lubed it before you installed it because it may not pick up oil if you haven't and also checked for clearance with the rotating assembly to the pump.

i would have liked to see a cam lube with moly in it for the lobes but i guess its too late now.

did you have the gripper ring installed on the oil pump drive shaft? the shafts have a habbit of sticking to the distributor when you remove it but only long enough to come out of the oil pump and then fall into the pan.

no windage tray then, any baffles in the pan?

was there a choice of keyways in the crank sprocket +3, 0, -3 degrees, if so which did you choose, +3 for more low end, 0 for a standard road engine and - 3 for a screamer.

about those cam retainer screws, 10lbs/ft or 120lbs/ins. or a 6" allen key at a 20 lb. pull at the tip with a spring fishing scale.

but we in it shall be remembered.

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 9:34 am 

@john hennessy
When are you moving to Florida, John? Looks like there's trouble down there.

@GonzoRacer
Take a deep breath, JD. Maybe you should take 10-15 of those. You're talking, what, 50 years of experience with engines in John's case versus our level of knowledge. I've only heard of 1 of those issues myself - priming the oil pump. And, that was last year on the Mustang forums.

Best,

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 9:58 am 

Lonnie-S wrote:
@john hennessy
When are you moving to Florida, John? Looks like there's trouble down there.

@GonzoRacer
Take a deep breath, JD. Maybe you should take 10-15 of those. You're talking, what, 50 years of experience with engines in John's case versus our level of knowledge. I've only heard of 1 of those issues myself - priming the oil pump. And, that was last year on the Mustang forums.

Best,

I have heard of packing the oil pump with Vaseline during assembly to get things flowing. That was a common recommendation for Brit cars. Another method was to back-feed fresh oil thru the oil pressure sensor line to prime the pump. Not sure if any of these are current recommended practices. JD, being a MGB guy, probably already knows these tricks. John Hennessy can comment on applicability to American iron.

And don't forget my Cushman Truckster resto Locostusa.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=17766

PostPosted: August 31, 2018, 7:37 pm 
We are Slotus!

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: September 1, 2018, 8:12 am 
We are Slotus!

Good morning, Gentlemen-
As some of you may remember, I've worked in the drilling industry in one way or another my entire life. I've always liked that song, even back when the Kingston Trio's singer had hair (like Perry...). This discussion and my recent tasks has had me humming it to myself for three or four days so I just had to share. I was going to write more, but TWWTFM had dinner ready, pork chops and pasta salad and I wasn't gonna let her pasta salad wait...

What happened was, having installed the oil pan the other day (For the SECOND Time), I put 4 quarts of oil in it. I used Earl's special skinny Snap-On 1/4 drive socket that fits over the oil pump drive shaft and a drill to spin the oil pump and get some oil moving around the block. Nothing... It just spun. No resistance to speak of. The shaft was sitting right there, had not fallen into the sump. I tried half-a-dozen times, got nothing.

Sooooo, I drained the oil into a plastic pitcher that TWWTFM hasn't yet missed out of her kitchen (I didn't have a Bitters jar...) and off came the F*#&ing 16 bolts and I dropped the pan. This is what I found:
Attachment:
08 31 18 Damn Pump Shaft.jpg
That's the end of the shaft sitting on the slightly rounded top side of the pump, and not in its socket where it's supposed to be. How it got out is beyond me... What kept it from falling into the sump whilst I was messing with it is beyond me. (OK, lots of stuff is beyond me, but these two items are the most recent.) I do have the little "basket" thing on the shaft that is supposed to keep it from pulling upward and dis-connecting itself. Had to fight with that to put the little bastige back in!

Next set of pictures is about me "Priming the pump" (Cue the Kingston Trio!). The pictures are sort of faked, I have to admit. It takes one hand to hold the little bowl of oil and one hand to reach up and grab the drill and no hands left for the camera. I did put the bowl of oil up to the pickup, like you see here.
Attachment:
PrimeThePump 1.jpg
Then you give the drill a spin or three:
Attachment:
PrimeThePump 2.jpg
And the pump picks up the oil out of the little bowl and you got yourself a primed pump.
Attachment:
PrimeThePump 3.jpg
You must have faith, you must believe!!!

Then the pan went back into position (For the THIRD time!!!) and the F*#&ing 16 bolts went back in and I poured the oil back into the engine. (Y'all remind me to wash that pitcher out real good and put it back before TWWTFM misses it, OK?) Then, since I hadn't made quite enough mess in the shop yet, I put the socket-and-drill back onto the pump shaft and spun it a few times. Only took a few seconds and there was oil flowing out of the rockers.

It was a marvelous sight... I thanked the Lord, I thanked the pump and I thank you all for your help and support!

This concludes our religious programming for today. Tune in next week...

Peace, Love and "Where's My Tea Pitcher?"
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 1, 2018, 8:58 am 

:yay: Smells like VICTORY to me! :yay:

Attachment:
Smells Like Victory - Small.jpg

Cheers,

P.S. Just add a little Balsamic vinegar to that residue of oil in the pitcher, and y'all got a nice salad dressing for Bubba. Waste not, want not, eh what?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: September 1, 2018, 11:49 am 
Toyotaphobe

While it looks good, I still wouldn't sleep well at night because since you never found a cause I'd be sure that thingamabob would fall off the spigot thingy once again.

Great job job JD. You are using up all the misteak aura all by yourself and that means there won't be any left for the rest of us. We really appreciate it.

Just to be sure I don't feel slighted I have put away my own personal horde of misteaks in the freezer so I can pull one out occasionally so that I won't ever feel confident or complacent.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: September 1, 2018, 1:50 pm 
We are Slotus!

carguy123 wrote:
While it looks good, I still wouldn't sleep well at night because since you never found a cause I'd be sure that thingamabob would fall off the spigot thingy once again.
Dang, I can's slide anything past this bunch... I'm pretty sure the cause was me turning the motor (slowly and carefully) almost upside down to install the F*#&ing 16 bolts in the pan the second time. I had put a dollop of heavy grease into the socket, thinking it would help hold the shaft in place.

Obviously, that didn't work. This time around, I left the engine right side up and turned ME upside down. I pretty much laid on the floor and reached up to the F*#&ing 16 bolts. That way, gravity was on my side, working against the oil pump shaft falling out of the socket as opposed to helping it. Gravity was, however, working against me when I tried to get up off the floor. :ack:

So now you know... [Long, overly dramatic pause] ...The Rest Of the Story!
This is NOT Paul Harvey. Good day!

JDK

PostPosted: September 1, 2018, 2:17 pm 
We are Slotus!

Lonnie-S wrote:
:yay: Smells like VICTORY to me! :yay:

P.S. Just add a little Balsamic vinegar to that residue of oil in the pitcher, and y'all got a nice salad dressing for Bubba. Waste not, want not, eh what?
Hey Lonnie!
It smells like something... But it's probably Bubba. :ack:

Nice thought about the "Balsamic and 30-Wt dressing." It would work too, except Bubba don't eat salad. He gets all confused, looks at his bowl and says something about the lawn mower and then asks for a pork chop... :mrgreen:

JDK

PostPosted: September 1, 2018, 6:35 pm 

GonzoRacer wrote:
carguy123 wrote:
Dang, I can's slide anything past this bunch... I'm pretty sure the cause was me turning the motor (slowly and carefully) almost upside down to install the F*#&ing 16 bolts in the pan the second time. I had put a dollop of heavy grease into the socket, thinking it would help hold the shaft in place.

Obviously, that didn't work. This time around, I left the engine right side up and turned ME upside down. I pretty much laid on the floor and reached up to the F*#&ing 16 bolts. That way, gravity was on my side, working against the oil pump shaft falling out of the socket as opposed to helping it. Gravity was, however, working against me when I tried to get up off the floor. :ack:

So now you know... [Long, overly dramatic pause] ...The Rest Of the Story!
This is NOT Paul Harvey. Good day!

JDK

I'm pretty sure when you are upside down, you need to change to LH threads. or something like that. And did you source a torque wrench from down under? You know a US torque wrench won't work in that orientation. Something to do with toilets flushing the opposite way. I do get a little confused after my 1st JD (Jack Daniels).

And it's a good thing you aren't Mr Harvey, as he is no longer with us. I want to see this thing finished, not you! Keep at it JD (the Gonzo kind)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 254, 255, 256, 257, 258, 259, 260 ... 316  Next