LocostUSA.com

Learning how to build Lotus Seven replicas...together!
It is currently April 16, 2024, 3:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 316  Next
PostPosted: October 11, 2018, 3:52 pm 
Automotive Encyclopedia

Good to hear. Look out for carpet baggers.

LxWxHt
360LA 442E: 134.5x46x15
Lotus7:115x39x7.25
Tiger Avon:114x40x13.3-12.6
Champion/Book:114x42x11
Gibbs/Haynes:122x42x14
VoDou:113x44x14
McSorley 442:122x46x14
Collins 241:127x46x12

PostPosted: October 11, 2018, 8:24 pm 

We're pleased to hear the impact at your place is manageable, JD.

Take care,

Build Log: viewtopic.php?f=35&t=5886

PostPosted: October 12, 2018, 11:17 am 
Toyotaphobe

I hope you can see this, I snagged it from FB. It's a flyover of Mexico Beach.

The video I've seen of Panama City, while heartbreaking still seems rather light compared to other places I've been after a hurricane.

But this looks like Rockport, Texas after their hurricane that just sat on the town. I volunteered down there to help clean up. I spent many an hour on a skid steer demolishing trailers, homes, etc. Plus just plain cleaning up.

https://www.facebook.com/WFLAJosh/videos/2208708786072349/

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 12, 2018, 1:06 pm 
We are Slotus!

Friday Mid-day (or thereabouts)-
Still no power/water at Team Slotus World Headquarters. I just took a shower at HamDip House and used some of her mint-scented shampoo. My moustache smells divine, lemme tell ya! That's about the highlight of it all so far... :ack:

Thanks for the video link David. I had actually seen that before now, but thanks all the same. The big building they show standing at about 40 seconds in is El Guv. Videos and several other pictures show the building is standing... I wonder how much of the seaward walls/windows are still there??? I suspect a lot of the debris floating in the (flooded) parking lot used to be the rooms above. Sad to see, either way. They had a set of ground level "condo" type suites next to the main building, past the pool. They're gone... I'm hoping they can come back to life after all this, we will have to wait and see.

I think I've mentioned Cabo's restaurant in here before. David, that's the place we went when y'all were here. The owner posted on FaceBook that they were undamaged, saved the refrigerated/frozen stuff thanks to the gen-set they installed a couple of years ago and they'd be back up and running soon as they get the power back on. I'm glad they're OK. There's a picture of the Slotus over their cash register... Classy joint!

As Kurt Vonnegut put it, "And so it goes." We'll be back to normal soon here at Team Slotus. I'm hoping the rest of this l'il corner of the world will too.

So, how are y'all doing? Anybody building a car or anything?

Peace, Love and "Mint Scented" --
JDK

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 12, 2018, 3:33 pm 

Good to hear you're doing ok. Hope everything else gets back to normal for everyone else too.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 13, 2018, 10:59 am 

Relived to hear you and family are ok.

"(Sniffffff)... you smell terrific"- Ace Ventura.

PostPosted: October 13, 2018, 11:13 pm 
Toyotaphobe

I wasn't sure if you'd seen the video, but since you'd talked about that area I knew it would be of interest to you.

I hadn't realized that's where we went to eat, good food.

Well glad to see you are alive and kicking and hopefully things will only get better.

I can explain it to you,
but I can't understand it for you.

PostPosted: October 14, 2018, 1:08 pm 
We are Slotus!

And now we have internet and cable TV again, so we are actually part of this century again. (I guess that's a good thing?)

Kristian- Guess right now the snow up your way looks pretty good compared to the weather here... Yeah, I kinda have to agree... Kinda... :mrgreen:

Airframe! Howdy! This might be the first time we've seen you here in Team Slotus. Careful, don't get any of it on you... :ack: Yep. smellin' good, feelin' good... Ain't life wunnerful!?!? :mrgreen:

We're babysitting today while Allyne/Hand Grenade is using my truck to take a bunch of bottled water and about 50 gallons of gas over to her in-laws family home in Jackson County. Some aunts and uncles and grandparents are there, not too far northeast of Panama City and Mexico Beach. They don't have power or water (and they're kinda out in the boonies to begin with) and thanks to the storm the nearest operating gas station or grocery store is in Dothan AL, a couple of hours away.

So, no progress on the car today, but it's for worthy cause. Plus, I get to play with the grandson, Ducky, all day.

Peace, Love and "NO! Don't Put That In Your Mouth!"
JDK

PS-MV8, I haven't shot any carpet-baggers... YET. :twisted:

"Gonzo and friends: Last night must have been quite a night. Camelot moments, mechanical marvels, Rustoleum launches, flying squirrels, fru-fru tea cuppers, V8 envy, Ensure catch cans -- and it wasn't even a full moon." -- SeattleTom

PostPosted: October 14, 2018, 1:29 pm 

I'm really glad you and yours are OK.

My sister-in-law made it from Sarasota, much to our surprise. We try to keep up with what's going on in Florida, especially in Mexico Beach, yet still do some fun things here too. She's a Red Cross volunteer, so I'm sure she'll be involved back home after she returns next week.

Regards,

PostPosted: October 14, 2018, 11:39 pm 

No snow here yet, but at work it's getting pretty close. One morning middle of last month it was -9. They say you at least don't have to shovel rain, but that's kind of a moot point if your neighbour's house ends up in your yard.
Kristian

PostPosted: October 15, 2018, 8:47 pm 

Yep first visit.. been poking around here lots and catching up on my reading.. lots of great builds over here.

PostPosted: October 21, 2018, 7:58 am 
We are Slotus!

Yo, Team Slotus!
It's alive... Again... Got the big piece back into the bigger piece the other day.
Attachment:
10 18 18 Back in the Saddle.jpg

Cranked it up yesterday after installing all the extras like radiator, alternator, etc. Being a bit over-confident, but it ran before other than puking oil. This time there were no leaks, squeaks or geeks (well, other than ME!).

Remember the Havana cigar my buddy brought back from Cuba? When I got the engine fired up the last time, I had a celebratory cigar, a "Victory Dance" like in the movies. That was short lived, replaced by spreading oil-dry all over the floor. This time, I had a celebratory banana. Hard to keep those things lit...
Attachment:
10 20 18 Victory Banana.jpg

Got to do some tuning and stuff today, then a test drive up-and-down the road maybe. Stay tuned, Lord knows what we'll be up to next. (That might be the banana talking.)

:cheers:
Peace, Love and Victory Bananas-
JDK

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: October 21, 2018, 12:25 pm 

:thmbsup: Smells like victory!

Cheers,

PostPosted: October 22, 2018, 12:11 am 

FYI
When I start on vacation and am unable to work on my project I start talking trash. Just beware.
Figured I'd post here, because 325633 views and 3972 replies can't go wrong :cheers:

Oh yeah, good on you JD for the banana start up, I didn't expect anything less...............

'If man built it, man can fix it'
"No one ever told me I couldn't do it."
"If you can't build it safe, don't build it."

Perry's Locost Super Che7enette Build
Perry's TBird Based 5.0L Super 7 L.S.O
Perry's S10 Super 7 The 3rd
Perry's 4th Build The Topolino 500 (Little Mouse) Altered
Perry's 5th Build the Super Slant 6 Super 7
Perry's Final Build the 1929 Mercedes Gazelle

PostPosted: October 23, 2018, 9:56 am 
We are Slotus!

Hi Lonnie! Thanks for the kind words!
Perry, what do you mean you start talking trash? When do you stop??? :rofl:

So, after the banana went out, I started in on doing some tuning. The timing was the first bit of weirdness I encountered. I had set it by eyeball when I installed the distributor and then tweaked it back-and-forth until it cranked up and ran. It actually sounded pretty good, smoother idle than I was expecting. Seemed to be putting off a good bit of heat in the exhaust, which concerned me.

The weird part started when I put the timing light on it. It was idling about 1100 RPM, fairly smooth, but the light said it was at 27 degrees advance. Since the stock spec is 10, that seemed kinda high. I revved it up a bit, just to listen, and it seemed to wind up just fine. I tried backing off the timing to a more reasonable number, but it died. Cranked it back up, sped the idle up a bit, retarded the timing a bit and it seemed OK, kinda rough idle. Repeated the process a couple more times until the timing light showed about 12 degrees advance. I blipped the throttle, thinking it might clear up the idle a bit. Instead, I got a backfire thru the carb and it shut down. I tweaked timing and carb several times, but if I had the timing anywhere near 10 degrees, same backfire/shutdown.

Earl came over on Sunday to lend a hand (and a brain... Maybe...). He was a bit stumped, but said his guess was that the rockers needed shims under them and the lack thereof was causing the valves to remain open just a bit causing rough running, backfires, hot exhaust headers, coughs, colds and pimples on the dinky... He also removed the carb from the manifold and took it to work with him for some cleaning-up and replacing stuff as needed, just as a precaution.

So, I'm gonna install some shims under the rockers (a batch of them came with the deal from John Hennessey) and then we may do a leakdown test and some other weird science/mechanical voodoo (Now Lonnie is gonna send me the pic of the big black guy with the snake...) and see what happens.

I'm thinkin' we'll get this sorted out soon. But then, I have occasionally been wrong about stuff in the past. :BH:

Stay tuned, we'll do something soon. Might be a big noise. That could be a running Slotus. Or an explosion... :mrgreen:

:cheers:
Peace, Love and "Gris-gris"
JDK

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4740 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 262, 263, 264, 265, 266, 267, 268 ... 316  Next